Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A new project for me---1934 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MIKE-3137, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Picked this up a few years ago and decided it was finally time to drag it out of my 80 year old mom's garage, where I had stuck it. She actually hated to see it go, says she likes the "little truck" A lot going on with this thing....the good is that it already has juice brakes, a later 24 stud fleathead,a solid frame with nice visable numbers and a clear title. The bad is that I pulled the heads and the block is cracked, and the later banjo/torque tube was not shortened, they just moved the whole thing back on the frame. Plus the bed is a Model A, narrow one...[​IMG]

I have lots of sbcs sitting around but I want to keep this one flatty powered....The heads came off easily with no broken studs, and I could turn the crank, it was a big disappointment to see a huge crack in one of the cylinders. Hopefully I can find another block or a runner. [​IMG]

Not a great pic, but I was surprised to see a hydraulic clutch setup.
    [​IMG]

Once I figure out the drivetrain and get the rear end where it belongs, I'm thinking a 3" chop, and swapping the steelies for 16" 35 ford wires on front, and 18"s on the rear. A lot of parts chasing first....and questions!

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  2. Looks like a pretty nice truck and a good candidate to build into a really cool hot rod. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. ChefMike

ChefMike

good luck with the project looks to be in great shape considering !

4. From the photos it looks like the only rust is surface rust and not rust out holes. Thats a big step forward. Mine looked good in photos til I got it home and found there was more rust than truck.

5. Truck yeah, i'll watch

6. Can the flathead be sleeved and saved?

7. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

wondered the same thing...I'm going to go deeper into it, see how the crank looks, etc. My guess is water got in the in the cylinders and the block froze in cold weather...It's a BIG crack in the cylinder. I'm thinking it would be better to just hunt another block.

8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice pickup. Will be watching.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Cool project!

10. I don't like the color of it. :D

it looks like work but it would be a labor of love if it lived here. Lots of fun building that one, and what is good is really good right?

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Thanks guys....And I already need a little education ...The flathead from my limited knowledge is the 37-41 24 stud, but not sure on the transmission. It's column shifted, but I'm not sure if it would have been paired with the truck originally or if it was added when the engine was swapped to the later flathead...or something else?..It seems to shift ok, Is it worth keeping in the truck, or should I just plan on swapping in a later 4 or 5 speed with an adapter?
    [​IMG]

12. The truck originally had a floor shit transmission. It appears that yours has a '40 or newer transmission which has column shift. As far as swapping it for a newer unit I would say it depends on what you have in mind for the truck. An overdrive transmission swap would make the truck more highway-speed friendly. That being said, the trans you currently have will be quite serviceable if it is in a good state of repair.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great that you are finally going to get it running -stick with it so you can take your Mom for a ride

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully this project will stay "dry"

15. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

No doubt Stu! They don't float well.

16. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Trying to figure out a few things...This truck apparently lived a long life, because I see a lot of evidence of parts swapping.. First there's the later torque tube rear, which required moving the perch back. ugly... and the model A bed. I've seen these cut up and made to fit...I've been temped by the last refuge beds though..I'm not sure they have their stuff sorted yet with delivery times.
    [​IMG]

The 38-42 81A flathead, complete with gaping hole in one cylinder..

[​IMG]
    At some point someone moved the rear spring perch back and used a later torque tube rear end with hydraulic brakes...not a great angle on the pic, but can anyone identify the rear end and wishbones? I know it is 1939 or later because of the juice brake lines.[​IMG]

I need to get the rear end back in the correct position on the frame. I'm trying to figure out if I should retain the present transmission and shorten the torque tube, since I've read that is occasionally done, Or just convert it to accept a U joint, and change the transmission also. I'd like to retain as much as I have here, just looking to build a cool old hot rod truck.

Rear shock mounts...a square plate.
    [​IMG]

I believe the front spindles and hydraulic brakes are 1940. They look to be the same 1940 round back ones I have in my roadster ( although I have lincoln brakes and buick drums in it) but the steering arm is scary.

[​IMG]

A very scary steering arm made with bolts that are now bent..I guess it worked.

[​IMG]

Front wishbone
    [​IMG]

steering box and column with 3 on the tree....Would this be the stock 34 steering box?[​IMG]

I'm going to yank the torque tube first, and move the rear spring perch back where it goes..Sorry for the newbie questions...I've never fooled with a torque tube rear...Can I separate the tube and shaft from the rear end after I unbolt it all from the transmission?

Thanks for any help or recommendations on this project..

17. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I hope the flatbar tie rod was temporary...

[​IMG]

18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That has a '32 "heavy" front axle under it......a very desirable axle to have....worth about 3 to 4 times what a 33-34 brings. If you are wanting a dropped axle, you should be able to find someone willing to trade you a dropped 34 for that 32.

19. You have a lot to work with have fun take your time.

20. Gonna be a good build, just stay with it.

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

get a tetanus shot first

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Can you get some details on the slave cylinder stuff ? Kinda' grainy top pictures ... just interested in the whats and hows.