Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. She had a crowd around her most of the day witch was real cool. We hung for a few hours then we headed home. We hit another rain storm heading back up over the mountain witch made for fun driving. She ran beautiful there and back almost three hundred miles round trip except she is running a little hotter than I would like so I will have to address the heat issue before I install the hood.
    I had a great time. Thanks to Milkweed, Brian, Mike, and all my friends at the show for a fun day and shake down run. Even though she ran a little hotter than I would have liked I dident have to call my wife to bring the truck with the trailer so everything went well.

donbatey likes this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If all 36s were maroon it would be fine with me. All 32s can be black. It's still right.:)

3. Love what you've done with your '36. Just beautiful!!! Early style customs are cool. \'36 all done 006.JPG Here's mine.

SuperFleye and daddio211 like this.
  4. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Without a doubt the nicest 5 window ever.

5. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Beautiful job!no corners cut anywhere.fantastic man,absolute stunner,what the ...is that really hammered car two cars up next to the 3 window 36.kinda looks like a aussie sloper body

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

What a buzz it must have been rolling into the drive way at home again!

7. Lol I picked the car apart sat morning. Kip took it in stride.

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  8. Man, I wish I would've went...

9. Black looks good on any car. But I was told to put a little color in my life so maroon was the only other color there was.
    Thanks. Your 36 looks very elegant. Nice!
    I wouldent go that far but thanks for the compliment.
    Thanks. That little car is a 60's Volvo. Looks like a 3/4 size 50 merc.
    The fact I made it there and back without any thing breaking or falling off was totally bitchin for sure!
    Until she is completely finished there is nothing to pick. Just like Milkweed picking my paint prep before the paint was applied. She's not finished until she's finished and even then she's still a driver not a trophy queen.
    Man, I wish you would have came with!

Asphalt Demon and daddio211 like this.
  10. I finely got he fender skirt emblems back from getting chrome so I got them mounted. I also got a larger fan so I pulled the grill out and then the nose off so I could get to the radiator. She is running around 200 now so I think I can install the hood and see if the temp holds. I hope.

firepilot, wingnutz, bct and 2 others like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Well, I guess we won't get to see it at Speed Week this year. I just drove through a lot of Utah last week and there was a lot of rain every where we went.

12. I love this pic Kip. How the surroundings are reflected in the body shows the stunning finish of the bodywork and paint job.

[​IMG]

13. Yah no Speed Week again. That sucks ass! Not only rain but bad salt condition are being blamed. The Hot Rod Hill Climb is coming up soon. Should be a great time and it has the same old time feel as speed week.

daddio211 likes this.
  14. Thanks Kenneth. That merc is looking beautiful but I would love to see progress on your 36.

15. Kip.The plan is to start again soon.Right now I´m having sort of vacation or in other words renovation job in the house.That´s the price to pay when buying old houses.When I see your car I really want to get started again on her. Thanks for the kind words about the Merc.

16. I took a few steps back last week. I had a new core put in the stock radiator to keep the stock look but the top tank separated at the seam and started to leak so I had it re soldered. Then the next time I drove the tank separated again in another spot.
    I was done messing with the tank so I ordered a new walker radiator. The specs on the 37 to 40 radiator was one inch narrower so with it I could move it forward and maybe fit a better fan behind instead of in front. I started to remove the front end so I could get the radiator out. What a task! I had to remove the bumper and bracket's and then remove most of the bolts holding one fender so I could move it over about three inches to get the radiator out. After the new radiator came I stuck her in and was able to move it forward about an inch and a half. Enough to barley squeeze a bigger fan and a good shroud behind with a little modifying. With the radiator and fan in place I needed to get hoses that fit. The bottom necks were about an inch and a half different because I raised the motor so I had to go to the parts store and find a formed hose the right diameter that had an s in it that I could cut out so the hose would line up. I also needed a different top hose. The top outlet came out straight back instead of straight down so again I needed a formed hose I could cut a section out of that had the right L bend.
    With everything hooked up I reinstalled the front end.
    She is now running at around one ninety so the temp is way more in line with where I would like her to be.

wingnutz, spinner, firepilot and 2 others like this.
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

You are doing a great job of addressing the new found "opportunities!" Sorry you're having such troubles.
    Of course, many cars are different but most still have similar needs. With that in mind, would you mind sharing part numbers and sources of the various formed radiator hoses you found to fix your car? I suspect it would be a great help to many of us; now and in the future. At the minimum they would provide a starting point. Also, the fellows on this site LOVE pictures... me, too!
    Thanks.
    Keep workin'
    Al

18. I have been bad at posting lately but I have been working on many little things trying to prepare to drive to Colorado for the Hot Rod Hill Climb. I will try to catch up after I get back.
    I will try to find the part numbers for you Al also.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. daddio211

daddio211

I just HAVE to post this pic that @hotrodpackard posted in front of his shop. Hope you don't mind Kipp.
    1439354020995.jpg

57choptop, Tedders, Outback and 6 others like this.
  20. Don't mind at all Eric.
    It's time to head off to the hill climb. Back soon.

daddio211 likes this.
  21. Nice! Stole this from another thread.
    [​IMG]

wingnutz and spinner like this.
  22. OK. Back from the most amazing event on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I had better get caught up on my post's.
    If anyone has pic's or video from the Hill Climb please post them here.

23. Before we left for Gorge Town there were a few odds and ends that I wanted to address. First off I needed to get the hood installed now that the radiator was in and keeping her cool so far. I gat the hood up from the basement and slid the hinge down the center and set her in place. The fit was still quite good luckily.
    With the hood fitting very nice I moved the bull nose spacer that I had to make where the hood lined up the best and welded it to the radiator.
    After I painted the spacer and I was happy with the fit I could make some new radiator support rod's . The original rods were to short so I used a couple pieces of all thread for temporary rods until I was happy with the hood.
    I used a piece of 5/16" round bar cut to length and then I threaded each end.
    After they were ready I took them to work and powdered them black as there was no time for chrome.

24. Next in line was the dash. The ash trays had never been cut and polished or installed. so I finished them.
    Then I took the two partial clocks that Steve gave me and the new chrome bezel and made me a complete clock and installed it.
    With the dash buttoned up I took her over to Tom's shop so that John could cut and polish the hood. He wanted to do this on the car so it hadent been done until now.

25. To try and control heat and cold I made and installed the M cyl cover and the plate around the column and pedals. Then I moved on to the heater. The housing that I wanted to chrome to delicate to polish so I ended up painting it body color. I took the core and had it pressure checked and disassembled and clean/lubed the motor. after install and hook up I was ready for the journey.

26. Monday night Milk weed called and said forecast for rain possible all week in George Town so I might want to get my roof insert installed before we go on Wednesday.

With only a couple of days left I grabbed my roof couture patterns and headed off to Milkweeds house where he had a 37 chevy sedan parts car with a horribly chopped roof that I might be able to use.
    The rear seemed to line up well so I cut a piece out and took it home. After a couple of hours of cutting and fitting on a PAINTED roof I finally came up with a panel that would work well.
    I welded eight 1/4" bolts to the edge to be addle to attach the top when done.
    The panel was totally covered in rust so I took it to work and put it in the blast cabinet and prepped it for powder coating. To make it look like a cloth insert I used black crinkle powder wich came out excellent.
    I took the top marked the inside edge and then I Dinomatt,ed the inside to help with heat and to give the top a more firm/solid feel. After I installed the temporary top it looked so good I installed the T molding and it look's perfect.
    Now if it rains I will stay dry!

27. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

28. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

U knocked it out of the park and it was my favorite car this weekend!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439836007.822449.jpg

29. Thanks.
    Thanks You. And thanks for posting picture. Hill climb is the best event in the world.

30. Man, oh man, this thing is the tits, and just about as sexy! Wasn't so sure
    about the grille, initially, but it really does work - and its different.
    No roadside problems?