Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** July 2015 Banger Meet - Heating Up ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

John. Maybe. But I have not given up on this year yet. The van is loaded. I am hoping the salt will clear up for the Cook meet. We plan to be there as far as I know.

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I believe my friend has built a record setting cook . maybe jim briely has it .... steve

3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

image.jpg What is this motor? Thanks Frank

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

a very healthy banger ?

5. 34hardhead

34hardhead
    from Richmond

is there a banger meet, this thread seems to be a promotion for bangers in general, not about a particular event.
    If there is a banger event, I can't sift through the other stuff to find any info on a specific event,
    I would like to know dates and place?
    I have a C (1934) BANGER that I want to rebuild

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

linkage.jpg 001.JPG If you subscribe to F.A.S.T (Ford A Speed something) or Secrets of Speed Society you will find lots of Banger only events nation wide. Google them. The motor is a '26 Dodge

7. Well after a lot of consideration and the bucket load of $$$`s I would need to get it to an acceptable level, I won`t be pursuing the Banger in my 32 pickup after all. Selling off parts in the classifieds and thanks to all that have helped me in the past with my newbie questions.

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

The motor is a '26 Dodge ..................... a very healthy dodge !

9. Rich,
    Lets just hope that something runs this year on the salt. I was kind of thinking about World Finals, we will see.
    I like what you have done with the cyl head, I have a dohc/4v that I intended on cutting but as of now it is still in one pc. I am still leaning towards just starting with a block of 6061 and starting up the machine.

John

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is a lot to be said for the clean sheet approach.

11. Yeah, and a lot more chips...........
    Still working out logistics, I don't want to go DOHC but to get where I want will probably have to.

12. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

13. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Thanks briphaeton for all the beautifull banger pictures. Nice bangers. Love them. Bob................Do you have any more banger photos?

14. hot-irons

hot-irons

Good morning guys. Long time lurker first time poster.
    I'm looking for a decent hc head and cam for my model B motor.
    I would prefer a cast iron head but its not set in stone. Also the cam could be pretty aggressive, its for a trog build so it only needs to run hard on the sand for a few days.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jim.

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

does anyone know how to delete private conversations ?

16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Working on fitting a radiator to my 26 on a chassis. I know it's aluminum but it's what I could afford at this time. Anyhow what are my options for cooling fans? I am going to have clearance issues with the top neck. I have to change it to a 2" neck anyhow and move some tabs around. I can't really make radiator sit any higher or else it will make the hood to radiator shell transition awkward. I was thinking of shortening the fan to clear. Or possibly find a 3 or 4 blade fan that is smaller in diameter. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

shortening a fan becomes a balance problem & air flow . how about an electric fan ? many sizes & ez mount .

18. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Can't go electric it's for trog

19. RussTee

RussTee

For a fan I use a morris 1100 plastic fan far more eficent and smaller DONT try and cut down a stock fan and always make regular checks on stock fans for cracks I would never use a stock fan because of this . I learnt the hard way and it cost a lot.

20. i dont think he will be allowed to run a plastic fan there ;)

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not familiar with "TROG" but I understand ....

22. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Moving top outlet Monday then will see what size fan I can use I may be able to seek the stock fan by the hose. I need to set the shroud and radiator back on it then push out of shop and stand back to make sure profile will work. It just might. Alot has worked out well with this 27 body on the a chassis.

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Weld a new neck on and move the cap over to the side or weld it on the top....

You don't need to use the stock water neck off the head. Make up one that sticks straight up. Use a hose with a 90% bend in it.

FYI
    The street rod radiator with it's pressure cap doesn't really go with the hole TROG thing either so you better hide it under a hood and paint it black

24. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

It's getting painted black for sure. It was a choice I didn't want to make but it was the most affordable one at the moment.

25. I'm running a Jim Brierley SU1A regrind with a repop Al Winfield Crowsfoot, Dual "C" Winfields, B distributor.

26. I'm running an original steel fan with the blades shortened 2" as per Rentz (sic) no cooling problems.I shortened them on a spud in the mill so they are equal length. It doesn't seem to vibrate and we have used this engine to check distributor timing at various RPM's.

27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow I haven't heard Rentz for a while. Bob was a character for sure and was pretty much an outcast in the local (Albuquerque) model A club because he wasn't a purist. Wished I'd have spent more time with him and paid attention when I did. Thanks for bringing up memories.

28. 30ccpu

30ccpu

Iam runing a lion cast head and a bill stype 340 cam and mallory distributor, headers burns manifold and single holly 94

29. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Removeable electric. Without a shroud a fan isn't doin much IMHO. Remove it for the race. Paint the aluminum black.

30. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Radiator will get a fresh gloss black job once the welding and figuring is finished on it. As per just plain bill, I will take the fan to my machinist and have it shortened. That response is very helpful. Thanks Bill. Anyhow, I'm crossing my fingers this car gets accepted to the race. If not I finished a car quickly and wil still be enjoying it.