Register now to get rid of these ads!

The resurrection of Rusty, the '59 Sport Fury convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big M, Feb 21, 2013.

1. big M

big M

G \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG ot the aluminum disc for the sport deck and trunk V from the anodizer, and was able to assemble and install the 'Toilet seat'. Also, installed the rear Plymouth script, as well as drilled holes for the gold V. Thanks to Austin for the V, somehow I had misplaced the one I had saved.

2. big M

big M

Quarter windows also installed and working, but will need adjustment after the top and door glass is installed. Funny thing about these, about ten years ago there was an ad on E-bay where the seller had no pictures, just a brief heading something like '59 Sport Fury convertible, parting out. Barn collapsed on the car years ago, cleaning up. I was skeptical, as there were no photos, so I didn't act on it. The ad stayed up for a few weeks, then disappeared. I had saved the guys e-mail address, so sent him a message saying I would buy any convertible specific parts he had left. He said he had the quarter windows, their guides and tracks and regulators, plus some other parts, I could have for $200 plus shipping. I was quite surprised when I opened up the bubble wrap, as the chrome was like new, the regulators didn;t even have surface rust, and there were quite a few other pieces he threw in, all like new. This car must have been stored away when it was only a few years old, for the parts to be in this good of a condition.
    \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG

3. big M

big M

Looks like I found someone to do the upholstery work- I had a rear clip that I had promised to get down to the port of Long Beach for a customer, my friend Jim in Bakersfield usually would transport things like this and charge the customer, but, sadly, he passed away last month. Dean may remember Jim, as he helped inspect and deliver his Plymouth to the port. R.I.P, Jim, you'll be missed!

I was committed to bringing the rear clip down for my Swedish customer, so I arranged the trip with other deliveries as well to help pay for it. I delivered a '57 Cadillac transmission to Visalia, a '62 Galaxie front clip to Burbank, three bumpers to the Bumper shop in downtown Los Angeles, and finally, a front seat from a '62 Dodge 880 to Orange, Ca.

Next, I drove down near the Mexico border to San Diego, I had a set of '57 Savoy seats that a good friend asked me to drop off at his friend's place there, he has a private collection of cars, and his own upholsterer that does top notch work. I made arrangements to drop my door panels, and seats for the '59, and they would be upholstered in the original patterns with the original material I had supplied. Joe will bring them back up to me in April.
    San Diego 001.JPG San Diego 001.JPG

4. big M

big M

The header bow was next-
    Took a year and a half to find a good one, Thanks, Johnny G!

After sandblasting all the convertible top parts, discovered a section was weak and full of rust pinholes. This I cut out, fabricated a repair patch, welded and metal-finished it. Now ready for primer!
    \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG \'59 SF convertible 003.JPG \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG

5. big M

big M

Next was the rearward main top bow. I never could find a replacement, so I cut out the badly rusted areas, welded in new metal. areas that weren't bad enough to replace, I brazed to regain a solid structure. There are still lots of pits, but after blasting, no live rust. Multiple coats of primer and sanding will fill most of the remaining pits.

Next, the readied parts are shot with primer, the pitted ones got multiple coats.
    \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG

6. big M

big M

The nice summery weather allowed me to get the seat frame and wheels painted argent, and the rest of the convertible top components, along with some other parts, black. \'59 SF convertible 003.JPG \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG \'59 SF convertible 005.JPG

7. big M

big M

I finished assembling the top frame, of course there will be final fitting once the door windows are in, and waiting on a Gary Goers order for weather stripping. Next is to get the hydro-electric motor, cylinders, etc all hooked up.
    \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG

8. big M

big M

A set of Goodyear Super cushion tires mounted and balanced. Looks way better than the '52 Ford wheels and blackwalls that were on as rollers. 005.JPG

dana barlow and Surfcityrocker like this.
  9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

WOW THIS PROJECT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!

10. Squablow

Squablow

Incredible progress, thanks for posting the pics!

11. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

In this month's issue of Hemmings Classic Cars, there is part 1 of a two part story on the restoration of a '59 Belvedere convertible. The owner did a great job, but he started out with a show car compared to yours. He had to install new floor pans! Whew!

12. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Good to see some progress John......

13. rockfish

rockfish

This project reminds me of the old question.......How do you eat a whale? One bite at a time. As many have already said, saving that car is incredible. Congratulations. I wish I had a fraction of your skill and patience.

14. big M

big M

Thanks, everyone!

My goal is to have the car completed by July, and I and the wife will take a 3,000 mile trip back to Carlisle PA. to the Chrysler nationals, then take a leisurely cruise back across the northern states to California.

---John

dana barlow and koolkemp like this.
  15. Sounds like an excellent reward for a job well done. Such an inspiration of how to save and restore most anything in a car project.

16. gatz

gatz

Won't be long now. Excellent work there, John.

17. big M

big M

Got her fired up, there was a bit of blowby at first, but it cleared up right away. Adjusted the shifter selector cable, and hooked it to the keyboard assembly. Next, installed the driveline, and took 'er for a drive around the property. Stopped by the well to spray off some of the dust. She finally lives!! \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG \'59 SF convertible 003.JPG

18. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

awesome!!!!!!!!!!

19. Fantastic job!

20. Woohoo!!!!! He lives to run the roads again!!!

21. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Congrats! The hard work has paid off.

22. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

23. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

Wow, looks amazing...

24. Squablow

Squablow

25. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I had forgotten about this build. Darn nice job. That was a big undertaking and it turned out great.

Neal

26. Sweeeeeet work! That car rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. big M

big M

Installed the quarter medallions and reassembled the rechromed taillights, then on to the front and rear bumper assemblies. \'59 SF convertible 007.JPG \'59 SF convertible 006.JPG \'59 SF convertible 005.JPG \'59 SF convertible 007.JPG \'59 SF convertible 007.JPG \'59 SF convertible 006.JPG \'59 SF convertible 005.JPG \'59 SF convertible 007.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. big M

big M

Wing window frames were both cracked and badly pitted, but the plater did a nice job in the repairs. Real pain to drill all the tiny rivets out for this, and the reassembly was very time consuming. An old brake lining riveter was a big asset in most of this. \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG

29. big M

big M

With the top installed, time to install the interior- Carlisle 2015 001.JPG Carlisle 2015 002.JPG

treb11, Squablow, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  30. big M

big M

Next up- after putting just 100 miles on the car, the real road trip begins! 6500 miles to be Exact!!

Johnboy34 likes this.