Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. deuce354

deuce354

2. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

mid 70s/early 80s.... looks like, probably, Shores..?? looks long for a sprint car(87"wb), more like a champ dirt car(96"wb).... cage crudely hacked sawed off....... old, but nothing "vintage". This type of car seems to be taking over most small local "vintage" clubs around the country.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    carl s likes this.
  3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Duane Carter tries on the Sampson. 7-24-a.JPG 7-24-b.JPG 7-24-c.JPG

carl s and deuce354 like this.
  4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks for those photos Rootie. Any date with the photo? The car 'looks' brand new so must have been 1939? and Duane 26. From ChampCarStats.com he didn't run his first Indy 500 for another 8 years (WWII) I've read that Riley Brett and Alden Sampson took several years off from the Championship Trail and occasionally ran midgets before coming back in 39 with this creation. Wonder if Duane drove their midgets?

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I wonder what the wheelbase on the Sampson car is. Looks loooong. Maybe because of the long front nose overhang.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No exact date but I would guess 1940 as it was #32 in 39-40. Though Carter never drove it in a race I suspect the photo-op connection was probably through Bob Swanson (Sampson driver Indy 1940) who raced midgets with Carter on the west coast and I think they were pretty good friends.

carl s likes this.
  7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Nice wheels Mac, whats the dirt car you got in the background?

8. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

A shot from the chute at the recent Movrcc event at IRP Thur.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437771606.484177.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437771648.349989.jpg

Dean Lowe likes this.
  9. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Good shot of Jim Rathman and Herk 1961. I don't think Rathman ever did gave up on his old Cromwell. 7-25-a.JPG

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

So neat to see this thread still going strong. You guys are the reason. THANK YOU. I crack up at how uneducated I was at the beginning, and can't help but think of how much MORE there will always be to learn.
    Wish I could post more here, but it's just not in my program anymore.

Ya'll are doing a killer job anyhow!

Please Keep it up.

Joshua Shaw

Here are a few pics that are hanging out in my phone... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dean Lowe likes this.
  12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Herks 1st gen. Mallard with a wedge nose and some serious meats. 7-26-a.JPG 7-26-b.JPG

296ardun, Rootsgroup and Dean Lowe like this.
  14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

This photo appeared in The Seaver Center Collection about 5 years ago. It had no accurate identifying info.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/seaver_center/4294047292/in/album-72157623087368181/

The following was suggested at the time:

Michael Ferner 5y
    "No, it's fellow racing driver Sam Palmer, sitting in the Fox/Miller "Olympiad Special" and getting all the news. Date is probably May 18, 1932, and the next race as advertised on the sign in the background would be won by this combination!"
    • [​IMG]
      jgil33
      5y
      Yep, Sam Palmer. As Mr. Ferner said, May 18."

My comment: If you magnify the photo it 'appears' that Sam is admiring a news photo of himself ( and years before Facebook) and I bet it was a photo from his win of the May 21st 40 lap main the 'week before' so rather than May 18 as the date of the photo it could very well be the next event following his win on the 21st.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/19857295378/in/album-72157650831545539/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Carl, this is not the sports pages... ;)

As an aside, the LA Times had a picture of Sam in the May 25 preview, but no photo at all for the May 26 race report. The May 19 race report was adorned by a picture of fourth-place finisher Les Spangler. Newspapers are not always that predictable!

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Michael, probably a paper something akin to 'Hollywood Filmograph', speaking of which I received a nice note from Paul Osborn - grandson of Eddie (Ralph) Demeree who wrote in Hollywood Filmograph the weekly PR for Legion Ascot at least around the 1932 Season.
    "
    Ralph (Eddie) Demeree
    Carl,
    Here's the only photo I've uploaded of my grandfather. Too bad he's wearing shades and a hat, so you can't see him very clearly. And, this was late-1960's, more than three decades after he did any racing. Probably changed a bit, huh?
    Paul

Eddie Demeree's grandson
    Hello! Just wanted to say thanks for posting all the great vintage racing photos and memorabilia. My grandfather was "Eddie" Demeree, reporter and close friend of Wilbur Shaw back in the day. His real name was Ralph Demeree, but I guess he thought Eddie sounded better, especially on the radio. Gramps died in 1980, but by then, he had passed on his passion for racing to me. I'd love to find a photo of him when he was Shaw's riding mechanic, but it was for a relatively short time, and only at West Coast tracks - never at the Brickyard, unfortunately. Keep up the good work, Mr. Clamshack.

Paul Osborn
    Sacramento, CA"

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jack McGrath and friends. On the left is Jacks wife and on the far right is Jimmy Daywalts wife, not real sure of the others though. 7-27-1.JPG

carl s likes this.
  18. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I'm pretty sure that the lady in the center is Esther Vukovich.

I've seen this photo before and I always wondered about the woman next to McGrath's wife. She's probably another driver's wife but she might also be Jack's sister. McGrath's sister was a professional golfer on the ladies tour for many years and did pretty well at times. I can't remember her married name right now but I'll see if I can find it. Maybe someone here remembers more about this.

19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

The lady on Esther's left (or as you look at the picture, just to the right of Esther) I'm guessing is Alice Hanks.

20. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I think you may be right! Bill Akin and I still stay in contact with Alice and visited her home in 2013..what a wonderful lady!! This is definitely Alice in the pic above and below....think Sam was only married once! Joe

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    carl s likes this.
  21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

She (Alice Hanks) is indeed a class lady. Sam was one of the many people that mentored me when I came to the speedway and Alice was never very far from his side.

carl s likes this.
  22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Was Hanks married more than once? If not, I'm not really seeing it. I believe this shot is from 1949 though. hanks-1.JPG

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Rootie, Don't know if he was married more than once but that looks like Alice to me. I could be wrong tho. Denny

24. Ron67

Ron67

Josh, what is the story on the #59 Miller (Ford?) in the photos?

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Langhorne 100 1967, Herk takes on the "funny cars." 7-30-a.JPG 7-30-b.JPG

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Tommy H., Williams Grove 1947. 7-31-a.JPG 7-31-b.JPG

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Andy Granatelli wadded it up in practice, Indy 1948.
    ag-1.jpg ag-2.JPG ag-3.JPG

28. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

This was also recently posted on a "Indiana Racing Memorial Association - IRMA" facebook page.

Their caption read:
    "1954 Indianapolis pole winner, Jack McGrath poses with some good looking driver's wives. Left to right: Lois McGrath, Arza Carter, Esther Vukovich, Alice Hanks, and Camaletta Daywalt. Which is better looking, the car or the ladies?!? Mmmm......"

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Golden State 100, Sacto 1966: A.J. flames out early......Ziggy knocks down the fence........Aggies young hotshot driver Dick Atkins takes his first and, as fate would have it, last Champ Car win.
    8-1-a.JPG 8-1-b.JPG 8-1-c.JPG

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Someone (Not 29 Speedster) over there posted Roootie's photo with no attribution or acknowledgement of Roootie's posting here which I'm afraid to say seems to be common on FB

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015