Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. I AM LYING!!!!!! ^^^^^ (only about the redlighting part!!!!)

2. All joking aside.... twas nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Squirrel!!!! It was an honor to get hammered by your BLOWN BIG BLOCK!!!! ( pickin on my pore lil wore out peanut motor....) BWAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  3. redlineracer42 - it was cool hanging out with you in the rain on Thursday :) watching you take a bath in rain water and use swear words I had long forgotten - like being back in the field in the Marines :D too damn funny - me and Tim chuckled about that all the way home. :D

redlineracer42 likes this.
  4. Anyone know who has the 1930 white two door that raced at the Meltdown?
    Love to get some info on that car. Wondering if there's a thread on it somewhere.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Redline it was good meeting you.
    And you are one hell of a showman and sure it would take a blown big block to beat you.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  6. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I had a blast! Already looking forward to next year. It was nice getting to meet so many hamber's there.

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

wingnutz likes this.
  8. cs39ford

cs39ford

My local cruise night hang out your welcome

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

Sometimes - when he gets really wound up or excited - he uses those swear words in full sentences. No seriously - I've heard it, been there... Tom is a special kind of guy - and when I say "special" I truly mean one of kind / break the mold thank God there is only one like him. My reasons for going to Meltdown have always had a clear line between the event itself and the people. Tom is one the reasons I go back. Even if it's just for the firm handshake and a "Hey Scoutmaster !!" Just not the same over the inter-web...

Cool guy, cool race car.

Some of my favorite pictures from Meltdown 3
    Get rid of the ambulance in the background and the first picture could easily be 1966

481101_10151057586923605_1862700714_n.jpg

HPIM1796.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  10. Seems like all you guys had a blast despite the breakage and the heat, I have to make it there one year.

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

The heat this year was the worst. The humidity was oppressive. We were off pace by at least 3 tenths. Guy down the line from us said his weather station was showing 6800 ft corrected elevation Friday afternoon.

Seemed to be a lot of drive-shaft failures this year. Maybe due to the new concrete pad ?? Only one - maybe 2 oil downs. The Byron crew were all over that and cleaned them up in good time. No accidents or serious issues I was aware of. Saw the ambulance roll through mid-Friday for an older gent who eventually walked under his own power.

BIG Kudos to the Byron facility. They set up food and beverage tables on a large scale to keep the lines moving. They had extra ice and massive quantities of G5 / Gatorade like stuff. I am sure this helped everyone stay hydrated and prevented a repeat of 2014 when the ambulance made more laps than the race cars due to the heat.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Saxxon That was me holding the return spring on the Prefect Not sure why I didn't introduce myself.
    You looked busy and I would have been asking a bunch of questions like a school kid.
    It was good to see it wheels up and happy.

13. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Squirrel, it was a pleasure meeting you. I enjoyed visiting with you about your extremely cool Chevy II that you built. Thanks for posting the picture of us at the starting line. Let's do it again next year.

squirrel likes this.
  14. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I love your falcon. I didn't get to talk to you but I watched you make a pass. That car runs real good. Like to know more about it. Btw. I passed you on 39 on the way home Sunday. Got one last look at it on the trailer !

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  15. Hey the pleasure was all mine!!!! I had a BLAST!!!!! See ya later!!!

16. Awww Scoutmaster yer such a CLASS ACT!!!! Love ya MAN!!!!!

17. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Goodbye all. The Meltdown was the highlight of my summer. The Meltdown crew, dragstrip staff, and the numerous other racers I met and of course the bitchin cars make the Meltdown a one of a kind event.
    See ya in the staging lanes next year.

18. Tanks man! I LOVE yer 62 and it was grrreat to meet ya!!!

19. After making the long haul there for the last two years just to watch it has been decided that we will be getting a trailer and bring the coupe to the meltdown next year!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437568386.342460.jpg

20. meltdown 15 103.jpg meltdown 15 104.jpg meltdown 15 107.jpg
    Bobw,...gotta thank you again for relaying the truck fender to the Meltdown, glad that worked out;...it was really fun watchin that six banger rail run, especially at the top end, it was singin...hope to see you again.

30dodgeboy and 9sectruck like this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Gabe's Falcon was a badass,wasn't it? :)

My question is: When are we gonna see that badass little Falcon of YOURS....?

That car is so damn cool,you've gotta get it out next year!

Scott

sonic03bluegt and beebee78 like this.
  22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Also,and I should have posted this first:

To everyone associated with the MDA,anyone who has been watching this thread for almost a year tuning in daily for updates on the smack talk,and anyone who went to the Meltdown hoping to see a Match Race between the Okie Doker and the Lakeshore Shaker.....

This is an open apology to everyone who had any kind of stake in the car showing up completed and ready to race.

I am truly sorry for promising to bring the car,then failing to deliver on that promise.
    A combination of working too many hours,not having all my parts ordered in a timely fashion,and just plain biting off more than we could chew ultimately put us about a week behind where we needed to be in order to have the car completed,tested,and trailered to the Meltdown.

Sorry to everyone we let down,but I can guarantee that the car will be at Meltdown 2016,running harder than ever,and giving the Okie Doker fits..!;)

Thanks to everyone involved with making this fantastic event happen,you guys once again treated us like royalty,went FAR beyond the call of duty to help us out multiple times over the course of the weekend,and overall,you guys are just ULTRA high quality human beings!:)

Can't wait to see you all next year,and we will be in touch.

2015 was an awesome year,can hardly wait for 2016!:)

Scott

23. Scott car or no car glad you were there! We didn't get to shoot the poop as much as I wanted - busy time of day right then. It was good to meet you and your dad. You looked sunburned :D

High point of my trip - lining up with Quain and doing my first dry hop :)

Low point - Not finding Isky to help pick out a 392 stroker cam profile - so I asked Ohio George instead :confused: - hell I got schooled real quick that he was a FORD man and Chryslers are junk.:oops:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  24. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey Meltdown attendees, those who were race entrants...

How was the goodie bag this year? Did anyone listen to the cd on the way home?

Thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

II FUNNY likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

Great goodie bag! No CD player in my old suburban...but I'll get it copied to my ipod...

Once again, super job on the Drags

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey Jeff!

Thanks again for everything you guys do!

The goody bags were even more awesome than last year,but I was in the same boat as Squirrel on the way home.....Our Uhaul truck was "sans CD player",so I forced my Wife to drive around with me and listen to it in her Jeep when I got back home.
    I thought it was awesome.....She doesn't seem to be such a big fan of "Shutdown","Hey Little Cobra",or "Rumble",but hey,what does she know...?

My only suggestion for next year's cd would be to include my Dad's fave: Green Onions by Booker T and the MG's. :)

Scott

30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Anybody know who's Galaxie this is?He sure wasn't afraid to pound on the Ol Girl!
    Tons of fun right there! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437604031.184502.jpg
    That Charger was no slouch either!Spun the tires pretty hard,but 60 ' times were real strong,like 1.60's which I consider very respectable for a street car.

Scott

BHoover and Swamp Rat 4 like this.
  28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Tony:
    It was good to see you too Brother!Youre not kidding,that weekend flew by in the blink of an eye.....Can't wait for next year!

I would recommend that you call Isky and talk to their tech guy,he is great,or call Engle,as they are VERY keen on doing custom rollers for early Hemis.

Scott

29. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

The Charger is owned by Ron Gasior out of Milwaukee. It is his driver and then he drives it like he hates it at the track

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

How about that Galaxie Jeff?That guy was beating that car like a rented mule!:D

Wish I could have caught up to him to see what was in it for power....It sounded kinda different.

Scott