Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM bolt pattern question / OLDS / BUICK / are they the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

wondering if reg. standard 5on 5 gm b/c is the same for olds, chev, and buick?

so the 57olds rear I have is standard 5?
    the buick drums the same as well...
    anyone know...

Tuck

2. Tuck, yes the GM full size pattern is all 5 on 5. However, there is one small exception: That is the Buick wheels have a larger center hole diameter. Not sure why, but may have to do with the fact that Buick also used lug bolts for quite a while until finally changing over to lug nuts. The Buick wheels will fit Olds, Cad, Chevy, etc, but the Olds, Cad, Chevy will not fit Buicks without a spacer.

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Buick had oversized front hubs due to their "lets hang on to obsolete shit" train of thought. They used ball bearings in the front hubs till 61, which made the outer diameter of the hub huge. That's why the larger center hole.

That's my opinion on it anyway. Makes sense.

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

thanks guys, trying to put together a set of wheels for the A, makeing sure it'll all work!

Tuck

5. atch

atch

6. Fraz, it went past 61, as my old 64 Riviera had the large diam center hole, I had to find old Buick steel wheels for it unless I would have to use a spacer. I never looked at the wheel bearings to see if they were tapered roller or ball bearing type. I think all the old alum drums had the large center hole maybe? I agree that Buick sure held on to that obsolete design shit way past when they should have dumped it.

7. 55olds88

55olds88

digging up a real oldie (thanks Google) you mention spacers for other GM 5 on 5 wheels, I take it to move the wheel out a little so the wheel can get over the dumb arse big Buick hub centre ?? if so how big a spacer if anyone knows ?

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

thank you for the guide. very helpful

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The beloved Chevy used ball bearings through 1960 as well....:cool:

Ray

10. 55olds88

55olds88

so does anyone know the width of the spacer to get other GM wheels to fit Buick ?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Spacers/wheel adapters can be gotten in various widths, but most common is, I believe, about 1" to 1 1/4".

Ray