Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs air shocks for a 51 shoebox ford.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Judas Grease, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

I need to put some quality air shocks on the rear of my shoebox. I just need a little lift. I basically need them just to take my wheels and tires off the car with ease. Is there a part number or particular kit that's been used by a fellow shoeboxer?

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, they a can be a problem to get off when you run lowering blocks. Try doing it at the beach parked on sand!!! Can you jack the car up and put a scissor type jack between frame and rear axle? What size tyres are you running.
    Air shocks in my experience do not ride that nice.

3. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

I have 215 75 15. Should have gone with 205 for more reasons than 1, but got a deal on the 215's. Even with 205s they are not coming off any where but in a garage. I currently have to remove the shock from the leaf spring pad and lower my rear with a pole jack. Its quite the pain in the ass.

4. I run 225x75x15 and can barely get them off with 3 inch blocks. Have to jack on the frame in front of the rear. I also run air shocks. I changed the angle of the shocks thou as the stock shocks are almost at a 45 degree angle. Didn't seem right to me.I had to flip my lower shock mount as they where below the scrub line. I just ordered shocks for a stock 50 but they could have been shorter. I like to bump it up a bit when driving as the ride is pretty good. Another thing i did was used a longer brake hose to the rear as the stock one might get stressed as you strech out the rear.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

5. Here are some pics of the set up. You can see the difference in the angle. Moved it a least 5 inches 50 ford 030 (Medium).jpg 50 ford 014 (Medium).jpg 50 ford 030 (Medium).jpg 50 ford 014 (Medium).jpg 50 ford 013 (Medium).jpg

6. Joe H

Joe H

I have a pair of air shocks off a '62 Nova that are like new. Top mount has stud mount and bottom slips over a stud. Send me a pm and we can talk if you think they will work for you.
    Joe

7. Don't forget to tighten that shock nut up. :) and maybe trim those u bolts a bit

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

Monroe Max-Air Air Shock Absorber
    Part No. MA727 $69.99

9. Ya think?

beyond static likes this.
  10. frosty-49

frosty-49

I installed a set on my car just to be able to haul 5 or 6 people without dragging. I keep 45psi for everyday driving and boost it up to 100psi with a load.. Have 205 tire on mine and they are pain in the ass even when lifting by the frame. If I have too change them on the road I let the air out and carry portable compressor to inflate them. Also used for the shocks.

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good info here. I will most likely run air shocks on mine , just to help with changing a flat tire. I have thought about relocating the upper shock mount , as like was said , the shock appears way too level with my 3-inch blocks back there.

12. the-rodster

the-rodster

I also did this...

Air Lift Air Shock Controller Kits 25804

AIR-25804_QF.jpg

Pretty handy for $150

A button under the dash airs them up, another button (schrader valve) lets it out.

Rich

13. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

late 9o's mazda mpv air shocks will also fit