Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stewart Warner Police speedometer wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abomber30, Jul 20, 2015.

1. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these big old stewart warner speedo's. it has one wire coming out of the back of it anyone know what it is used for? thanks drew

2. Probably for lighting

3. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've got one, too. I mounted it on a bracket on myF00 steering column, just for kicks. Speedo cable was same as my Stewart Warner...
    One day a city policeman got behind me in a 45 zone, (I was doing 55+) so when he put the heat lamps on me, I slowed to 45 and set the clocking latch, locking the needle at 45...He walked up, ticket book in hand, and asked if I knew how fast I was going.
    I said, "Yep. 45. On the nose. Checked my speedo."
    He retorted, "Your speedometer must be off..."
    I pointed to the big CHP speedo. "THAT speedometer ain't off...It's probably your city speedo that's off!"

He almost knocked his hat off. "Where'd you get that???"
    "Stewart Warner...They're expensive, but you can get 'em..."
    He let me off with a warning. Sure looked puzzled.

302GMC likes this.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

If it is not the light wire, they had a magnetic switch to lock the speed on some. Gary

6. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

the lights are seperate one on each side this is probably the magnetic switch i do not think i need to use it then thanks. drew

7. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

There is a "speed cup lock switch", separate from the illumination circuit, used for the above stated pointer position lock. It is essentially a spring loaded rubber finger that engages a special serrated speed up upon which the pointer is seated. They're a little tricky, but if you have the opportunity to use it in a practical scenario, kudos.