Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Fender1325, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Your math is off,
    You'll be $3xxx,00 something into that 4dr, that leaves $ 6xxx.00 to reach $9000.00

2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Make it into whatever you want..Its only your time and money..

3. Fender1325

Fender1325

Ok lets get some things clear. This thread was started to EVALUATE the possibilities. I never said "hey look what I did!"

2.) I said its next to impossible to find a 46-48 buick roadmaster sedanette PROJECT for sale in the US, maybe worldwide. The sedanette on ebay had a $9,000 bid on it which did NOT meet the reserve price. That means the owner wants more, and likely much more. That car is complete, running and driving. It needed a headliner and a paintjob. Thats a bit different then a PROJECT car.

3.) $9,000+ dollars today is different than some money here and there over time. Like any project car. Do you guys really think if I had 10k laying around Id be considering hacking a local 4 door and customizing it myself? Lets not forget the cost to transport a car if I find it somewhere across the country. Likely an additional $1,000 or so.

4.). If I was in this for resale value Id buy a bel air or something.

5.). Id be just dandy with a bare metal, bastardized car with a chevy 350 in it. It would be a custom afterall, not a rebuild.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Fender1325

Fender1325

6.) IF I embark on this journey I will start a thread and call it "The bare metal bastard" ;)

5. You want a sedanette? I have a 41 Cadillac sedanette ill make you a deal on. Lots of pictures in my HAMB gallery. Course I have no idea where you are at, probably not worth doing unless you're my neighbor :D

6. Beau

Beau

Save some money and get what you want. And all that work would be ruined if you actually did it and left it bare metal. Paint and body would be over $4000. I say but the runner and enjoy life as you modify.

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

jeez, if you think you can do it, Do It. just have something else to drive so it doesn't become a burden and ruin the hobby for you.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have some wild ideas too. I also have obligations to my homestead and my clients. Guess what? LIFE IS ALWAYS IN THE WAY. Unless someone lives in a paid for house, makes $150K/yr for 40 hr/wk, AND has an ass full of talent it's probably going to be a massive undertaking that will OWN YOU before you know it. Next comes "...I hate this fuckin thing..." and it gets abandoned because it's cripled, can't move, can't sell. You ready for that? I'll bet that happens a lot all over the country and more times on this board than most anyone would like to admit.

But there are rare exceptions, but almost as rare as a cheap Buick Roadmaster Sedanette. Even with the devil's advocate talk above, fuck it man, GO FOR IT. There's a shit load of folks right here to cheer you on, and even more that will say you're nuckin futz. That's life. Notice I didn't mention a spouse or girlfriend? There's no price that can be measured in those obligations. Something I overheard in my youth, "I swear if that fuckin thing had a vagina you'd never come in the house!!" Yes, even the best of the fairer sex can get really nasty about being consumed by a project. Good luck. BTW, there was an Oldsmobile Sedanette at Hershey last year. All done and a shock of a low price. Gotta be ready to strike when it shows up.

CadMad and Fender1325 like this.
  9. heinz51

heinz51

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

Am I the only one not seeing the link to the CL ad?

11. Fender1325

Fender1325

I dont see it there anymore either and Im the OP. At any rate, Ive decided to heed the advice and go against taking it on. Mainly because I think its a bit too much money just to get into the car to start with. Theres a '53 pontiac cheiftain for sale with some rot and a clean title for $500. I've just got a hankering to chop something up and do metal work. At the same time theres a decently clean and good driving 63 buick lesabre that would make a nice daily. Oh well, I'll just keep waiting until the right thing comes along.

12. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Love your truck.