Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another Day, Another 1939 Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Another Day, Another 1939 Custom

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I`m not a big fan of the grill on this but I could learn to live with it, otherwise a very nice ride.

3. Wow, I would have never thought to use that grille. Buick ? Car is stellar.

Outback likes this.
  4. Amazing custom! Looks like a Buick grille to me too.

-Chris

5. Downtime

Downtime

1940 Buick Grill. that a beautiful car.

6. Another beautiful custom! Too bad there isn't a shot of the rear, it appears as if the exhaust is above the bumper. I know some were done that way but not all of them looked good.

7. 'Mo

'Mo

An example of the raised pipes can be seen on the Clarance Patterson 1939 Ford, which will be displayed on the beach at "CUSTOMS by the SEA" at this year'st TROG.

If I remember correctly (o_O), current owner Roddy Moore said that these were aftermarket accessory items, and replacing them surprisingly represented the biggest challenge in the restoration of the car.

Such attention to detail was rewarded with the "Preservation Award" at the 2014 Detroit Autorama.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Bam.inc likes this.
  8. Torchie

Torchie

Looks like it has 49 Plymouth bumpers as well.
    Beautiful car.
    Torchie

9. Da Flash

Da Flash

10. Da Flash

Da Flash

Hello Ryan, I have my copy of the 1955 Custom Car Annual right here on my desk. I remember this car
    because this is my original copy bought at a drug store in 1955 when I was 12 for 75c.
    Da Flash

Toyjunky likes this.
  11. Curt Six

Curt Six

Here's one more. We ran this photo in Scrapbook in the chapter about Tim Hain. It was taken at an indoor Mid-Atlantic car show by PA hot rodder Paul Callow. It had a '53 Cad motor at one point, and the last owner we were able to find (at the time) was James Nolan of Elizabeth, NJ. Great car.

Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 11.50.12 AM.png

Toyjunky, Sancho and HEMI32 like this.
  12. froghawk

froghawk

What a great-looking car! The grill fits amazingly well and that top has a perfect profile. Take note that this is an East Coast car!

Sadly, it appears the likely original owner/builder passed away just last year. Here's the obit... http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_20da3367-6ee0-5de3-b003-767ae4dcffdd.html

547ee2af48b9b.image.jpg

"Nicholas Joseph Schlauch passed away Friday, Nov. 28, 2014, surrounded by his family. He was 82.

Nick, a Korean War veteran was the beloved husband of 58 years to Rosemary (Iannacone) Schlauch; a loving father to Nicholas (Vicky) and Denise (Randy); and Pop-Pop to Chip (Sara), Shawn (fiancée, Allison), Angie, Danny and Nick. He is also survived by sisters-in-law, Susan Piazza, Mickie Borradaile and many nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his father, Nicholas L. Schlauch; mother, Ruth (Molodyko) Schlauch; and brother, Donald Schlauch.

Nicholas was eight years old when he became a lifelong fan of auto racing, building custom cars and attending auto events of all kinds.

In 1961, Nicholas opened a gas station that is now known as S&S Tire & Auto, where he worked for the rest of his life.

He will be remembered for his dedicated work ethic, his sharp wit and his sense of humor."

S&S Tire & Auto is still in business in Oakford, PA. https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/116080170317120385788/gphoto/6117678482762970178?gl=us

flamingokid likes this.
  13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Very cool example of an early custom, even if it debuted a bit late, very likely due to the possible builder's obituary stating Korean war service. Perhaps it was started before the war and only completed, according to the original plan, afterwards.

Odd to see how well the mash-up of on of my favorite pre-war GM products and one of my favorite pre-war Fords played out.

14. 1941coupe

1941coupe

the bumpers are 1937 de soto

15. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Last night I was browsing through Rod&Custom's 1st annual #3100... The '39's on the cover in color and there's a three page coverage by Gray Baskerville and color & B/W photos by Pat Ganahl... Tells of car's history, of Donn Lowe's restoring the '39 and his chassis updating and sale to the current owner, Creighton Helm. Nick Schlaugh and his buddy Howard Townsend, 18 and 19 respectively, built the car in 1951. When Donn finished the '39 in 1991, after not seeing the car since 1955 Nick and Howard got invited to visit the custom they built some 35 years ago.... How COOL is that... Dyno Dave

McFly likes this.
  16. @Curt Six - Thanks for posting that pic! ... You beat me to it (i.e., I remembered it from the Scrapbook)!

@froghawk - Thanks for posting Mr. Schlauch's obit ... Like you, I always google these Hot Rodding / Custom Car pioneers to see if they are still with us ... Unfortunately, Nick has passed :( ... but perhaps his family members will find this thread ... and add some pics and/or info about his '39 Ford Custom!

17. The problem with starting a custom with a 39 Ford Deluxe is that they are never nicer looking than the stock front styling in my opinion.

X38 likes this.
  18. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Despite my signature, I have to agree with you. I would extend your comment to any Fomoco product (Ford, Mercury or Lincoln) from 1939 to 1941. It's just not possible to improve on perfection. Unless, of course, you change years. For example, substituting a 1940 Mercury grille on a 1939. Just saying.

X38 and 41FordSuperDeluxe like this.
  19. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

great looking car , you have the plat form to build it !!!!

20. Curt Six

Curt Six

Dynao Dave...killer info. Can you post a shot of the color cover?

21. Torchie

Torchie

My first thought as well 1941coupe. But look at the pic of the stock 37 Desoto. More ribs and less curve around the corners. The shape appears to be more like the 49 Plymouth but not as heavy looking. Custom made???. Or a heavily reworked Desoto or Plymouth bumper???
    Torchie

Attached Files:

22. Rikster

Rikster

A few photos of the Ford after Donn Lowe's restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Rikster

Rikster

And another old photo from 1955 I found online a while ago shared by CarCrazyJohn.

[​IMG]

24. Thanks Rikster. I wanted to see the rear of it, wasn't expecting a completely molded in deck lid. Killer car.

Did Donn shorten the amount of exhaust out of the rear fender? It looks really nice that way but in the lead photo Ryan posted it appears to stick out of the fender quite a bit. That's why I was curious about how it looked from the rear.

25. Another question, are those '55 Buick portholes that the exhaust passes through?

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Stylish and elegant as the day is long,I wouldn't change a thing.

27. Got to be one of the best '39s out there...