Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs looking for build pics of 50,s cars top chop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Remcolent, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Remcolent

Remcolent

I have already made a build plan for how to chop my 57 imperial.
    But would like to see pics during the build from other 50,s car
    Hard to find on the internet, almost jut pics of the end result and little or none during the build.
    Who know some good sites or blogs, with lots of pics.

Thanks
    Remo

2. In the 10 + years I have been on the HAMB there have been many build threds of 50's cars with chops. If you use the search function, you'll turn some up.

3. Remcolent

Remcolent

X38
    than I think that I use the wrong key word in my search than, I can not find them.

4. Remcolent

Remcolent

Thanks for the links, X 38.
    Sometimes it is a bit difficult to find the ok search word, when English language is not your native language.

Remco

5. I see you have added your location now. That helps.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Are you looking for something particular? Brace it up, measure everything 5 times and try and think a few steps ahead on everything you do before you cut and where you cut...

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The links provided will help you with your basics..bracing, tacking, metal work, etc. The biggest problem you will run into with your 57, will be with glass. A severely curved windshield is going to be your biggest hurdle. You can either get a new piece of glass made to fit your newly chopped opening (very expensive), or you have to carefully plan, measure, and perform your chop around cutting the stock glass to fit. I did my 55 Olds back in the early 80's when even a chopped Merc or Ford was unusual. I was lucky enough to work for and old customizer from the 50's who helped me plan and execute the chop, and it came out great. I can give you more details if you like, but no time right now.

8. How's this? HRP

[​IMG]

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Oh....third option on the windshield, you can sink the glass into the cowl. I've never done this, as I believe you might have a problem with the glass sealing properly. Not a problem in sunny California, but elsewhere?

10. Remcolent

Remcolent

Thanks for the info,
    What i want to do is sink the glass into the cowl, an mabye tilt it about 10 to 15 degrees.
    The cowl is almost 5 inch deep , must make that deeper , want a little more chop.
    A problem is that i will have to remove the glass from the frame, I will have to cut the rubber to do so.
    The windshield rubbers for the imperial are not to be found.
    So I will have to glue the glass back in.
    The lip on the frame is to small ( to narrow) to give enough surface to glue.
    Will have to make a little wider lip on the frame.
    The trim around the glass is all stainless steel, so that is not to hatd to make shorter and tig it back together.

I still have not found detail pic,s about sinking the curved glass.
    Have read some things about it, but always good to see pics also.
    I.m more a machinist that a sheetmetal guy, and that makes me a bit uncertain about what is the way to do this.
    So thats why i would like to see pics or build blogs on sinking the windshield on those curved windows.

Becouse its a 4 dr HT I do not have a b pilar or door frames, that should make it a little bit less hard to do I hope.
    side glass i will use 5 mm Lexan, that is simple to get in the correct shape.

Remco