Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437342231.705579.jpg

beebee78, enloe, Swamp Rat 4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Swamp Rat 4

Swamp Rat 4

Are You talking about the Rock and Roll Express Dragster?
    If so, The Owner/Driver is Bob Buckley.
    It sounds like it's running Nitro, But He runs it on Alcohol.

3. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I believe It was the one pictured above. Big Iron, sounds mean! quick throttle response. I think the announcer said it was running 70% nitro

4. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The two MOPARS that ran last night were on nitro.

rawcjw19 likes this.
  5. Swamp Rat 4

Swamp Rat 4

Ok, My fault. Those two A F/X Mopars were BadAss!!!

6. Swamp Rat 4

Swamp Rat 4

7. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Good god y'all ! What a friggin blast!!! This was my first year and didn't have my car ready but I still had an absolute blast! My wife loved it too! Everything about the mdd was a class act. From volunteers to racers to spectators. And in the intense heat and humidity to boot. I had no idea the hubs of hell were that far north!! I sweat away so much weight now I'm just fat! Great to see so many of the cars I've followed on the hamb. Talked to some great people. It was above and beyond what I expected. Good lord willin and the creeks don't rise the riff raff falcon will be there next year! Thank you for all the work you guys put in to hosting a kickass event!!

8. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Great job to the Meltdown staff, they did another great job. Thanks to all the racers who put on a hell of a show. Will be back again next year.

9. Had another great time at the event.
    Thanks to all who put it on!
    You guys are awesome!

10. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

55belairx2, beebee78 and Swamp Rat 4 like this.
  11. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

We once again had a great time. Was hot but no one can control that. Glad to see the bad storms went around us. Great seeing old friends and making new ones. Night races were AWESOME!!! Got a pic of the GTO leaving the line while the "Farmer" is looking on from the Christmas tree.

12. Jim... What were your evening times before the coolant leak?

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This was the best Meltdown ever. A big Thank You to everyone who helped put it on. It was pretty hot out, but it seems like there was a good breeze blowing most of the time.

The night drags were EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! Started making plans for next year at about 10pm Saturday night. :D:D:D

14. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Just wanna thank all the fans and racers for coming out and attending the Meltdown Drags in the brutal heat we had, The event went real smooth with very little hiccups I'm glad to be part of this event (the best vintage drags in the world) I heard that a lot this week end, met new friends hung out with old ones I'm exhausted as is our whole group but was well worth the effort !! For the people who missed this year I'm sorry ER ' Mr. Panneton !! What a blast !! The Grape ran good but will get better I hope, and Scott (Mr.PowerShifter) was a pleasure hangin out with u and your dad, but get home and get working on that car so it don't come down to the last millisecond next year !!! Lol have a good night Y'all !!!

15. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Made the awful mistake of going to the o/t Car Crap Nationals in Milwaukee. Wont happen again! Congrats to the Meltdown Association for putting on another fantastic show.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Ran 10.24 at night. And 10.08 Sunday morning, after pulling the intake and then fixing the hole in the hose that was the actual leak!

17. Had a great time again at this fantastic event. Nice to put some faces to names.

Certainly worth the 20 hour round trip drive as a spectator, and proudly donated my Canadian flag to the group for use in the opening ceremonies.

Looking forward to next year!

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks again to the MDA for putting on a great event. Despite the heat it was still a great time . It was nice to say hi and put some faces to the names here.
    On a side note another highlight of my weekend was I went down and got to see Arnie Beswick and brought my car down for him to autograph it .

19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

This was my first time and I really enjoyed it. My brother WZ JUNK and I were part of the OKIE TWISTER crew.

Attached Files:

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

You may have noticed a lack of media coverage regarding a fat 50 yo lunatic with a shotgun and bandoleer of explosives walking the pits at Meltdown... That's because THE SCOUT WORKED !!!!

No bog... didn't ET worth as damn in the heat but we managed a few photo friendly wheel stands. Night racing was a blast. On the other side of the Pit spot - the Prefect has made hero status with 8000 rpm burnouts. This might be the loudest un-blown / non nitro car on the grounds

As always - the MDA put on an amazing show. Byron provided a great facility. It was great to see Tom, Mike, Kevin and all the regulars again and meeting new friends in Squirrel, Racer-x, Stacey Welch and all the others.

When is pre-registration for next year ?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  21. Saxxon

Saxxon

22. Hero status for the MD crew! Those guys are tough - it was hot and they kept the hammer down!

IMG_1423.JPG

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Is it time for meltdown yet I'm not even home yet and wish it was time to run again hats off to the meltdown crew these guys and gals are top notch best event I've been to just wanted to post a pic that clearly represents the event if you don't think this is 1966 then you don't get it

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437405431.338841.jpg

25. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Here is my summary of the event:

- Wrenchbender is going to change his name to tranny popper as he grenaded that thing...thank god it was the last run on Friday night.
    - Saltflats improved his times on the 409 Bel Air by over a second and was having so much fun. Nice guy!
    - The Canadian contingent (Scout & Prefect) put on a good show
    - RacerX backed up his trash talk by running a 10.00 with the coupe. I know this guy has a tendency to piss people off the on the HAMB, but I will say at the event he was great. He had fun and put on a good show.
    - The All Hacked Up 65 needs some wheelie bars after putting it's nose 6 feet in the air
    - AFX Nitro cars were awesome to watch and good dudes!
    - The Southeast Gassers put on a great show. It was great to see Jerry Lee make his return to racing and boy can Donovan drive that Anglia...I swear that the front wheels were off the ground when he crossed the finish line.
    - The World Famous Zettle Brothers made their best pass ever...it must be due to their idol (Arnie the Farmer) being onsite cheering them on
    - Joe Hickenbottom ran his "Leggin it" Cuda for 19 passes during the weekend. That guy is one class act and fun to talk to.
    - The Great Lakes Gassers and Nostalgia Gassers put on a great show. Really fun to watch and they had an amazing pig roast on Saturday night.
    - Mike Bilina kept the 56 straight as an arrow and ran consistent 10:30's....wow!

Great time had by all...we should do it again next year!

26. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437409300.985754.jpg

We had a kickass time, see ya next year. Well organized, well executed, can't wait til next year..

27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Sorry to see the cars that had trouble or broke, racing at night was awesome. Too bad about the time restraints so more cars could have run.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  28. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Wheat Missile....you guys are awesome and the car is bad @$$...You MUST return next year.

Maybe next year a car called "Yesterday's Child" will attend and you can make it suck your wheat missile!

Swamp Rat 4, 30dodgeboy and 9sectruck like this.
  29. wow what a show. hands down the best show i have attended. what show can you go to and be thanked for showing up then get personally parked get a goodie bag with a t-shirt and beer then get checked on through out the weekend to see if you need anything. i have never gotten that kind of friendly customer service at a good guys or nsra show or any show for that matter. for those that missed the event or went home early on sat you missed a real barn burner under the lights. the match racing was way hotter than the temperature. an exellent job was done matching the cars up. from my view it seemed most of the matches were door handle to door handle. the track kept the cars rolling with very little down time. i dont know how the melt down crew and track crew functioned in all that heat. when the stress level goes up and the temp and humidity are up patience and understanding can get lost. but not here everyone was very nice to be around. ron leek and mark dietrich kept everyone entertained on the mic. the quality of the cars was over the top. there was something for everyone. if not check your pulse. i got to meet up with several hamb brothers at the show. its always nice to connect a face with a name. my friday evening was spent at the drive in with squirell and his wife along with don francis and his daughter. we had a nice dinner and were able to talk about our upcoming drag week event. this event was very differant from the events im used to. it was a very refreshing change. on sunday i was given a melt down award presented by several members of the melt down crew. thank you very much. it means a lot to me. i feel proud to have some great new friends. im humbled by it. i had a short 2hr drive back home to think about the weekend and all that happened. these guys get it. they are the real deal hard core guys i have been looking for. now i get it. see you next year and congrats on another successful show.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  30. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Oh HELL NO you didn't Jeffro! I don't know what "Wheat Missile" runs and the car is bad ass and "Yesterday's Child" will be glad to save a dance, (as long as Ric doesn't move again next year! :mad:) but beware, "Yesterday's Child" likes to feed on her dance partners! ...and she's cool, well rested and HUNGRY after missing this year! Also, don't look now but from the pics I've seen it looks like the "Where's My Doinker's" wheat missile is laying on the ground...:rolleyes: