Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BBC - gap between heads and intake manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rtbcoop, Jul 18, 2015.

1. rtbcoop

rtbcoop

I recently bought an eldelbrock torker 2 intake manifold for a 454 that I am building. When I went to install the manifold, I noticed that there was a gap that did not look right. The manifold does not cover a hole that appears to be a coolant port. Is this the correct fitting or is something wrong here? The heads are 049 heads btw.

IMG_0807-1.jpg

2. What year ARE THOSE heads?

3. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Can't tell from your picture, guessing a rectangular head with round port manifold. Big block heads are early closed chamber heads (1 hump along exh side) or later open chamber (2 humps along exh side). Both come with either round intake hole or rectangular intake hole.

4. rockfish

rockfish

Roger may be right. When I was in high school and didn't know anything I put a rectangular port intake on a 454 with oval port heads. It actually kinda worked except for using some coolant. I was still learning. And I still am.

5. bigkev56

bigkev56

6. bigkev56

bigkev56

Some gasket sets come with a block off plate for the heat riser. Most aftermarket intakes dont use the heat riser. Hope this helps, bigkev56

7. rtbcoop

rtbcoop

They're both oval ports. I got this answer on another forum: "The hole serves as a heat insulator from the exhaust passage. It supposedly helps to prevent the cylinder head from getting red hot in the area above the passage and burning and coking the oil that is splashing around inside of the valve covers." Looks like I can just leave it open.

IMG_0808.JPG

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is this a "Tall Deck" block; something from a "big" truck? If it's a tall deck, adapters are available as are special intake manifolds. These are the factory blocks guys used to use before aftermarket block were available to build very large CID engines with stroker cranks and large overbores. These are the 366 and 427 truck blocks, but you said yours is a 454; are you sure that is the case? What is the casting number on the block? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.