Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Staggered Rear Shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Mattilac

Mattilac

Now I'm at the point of fabricating mounts for my rear shocks. Is it worth staggering them (one in front of axle, one behind)? I have the space to go either way. From a pure aesthetic standpoint, I think keeping them both symmetrical and on one side of the axle looks better, but if there is some performance to be gained by staggering them, I'm all for it. Just not sure how much of it is hype vs actual improvement.

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Some suspension styles would benefit from staggered shock mounting because it controls axle wrap a little better. Of course nobody knows what you drive or your suspension type, so nobody can offer a suggestion to your particular vehicle!

3. studebaker46

studebaker46

the main reason (as it was told to me) was two people on assy line one facing front one facing back ease of assy. tom

Texas Webb likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Didn't Ford advertise this feature on their trucks at one time? Gary

5. aaggie

aaggie

It was a way to control axle "tramp" or so the story goes. Ford seemed to be the source and even some Mustangs had four rear shocks to control the axle.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Axle tramp? You mean Jessica? Har har. Gary

Texas Webb likes this.
  7. town sedan

town sedan

Had an almost new V8 Maverick. It had staggered rear shocks. Too bad it didn't have enough power to make use of the set up. -Dave

8. 69fury

69fury

As I understand it (and I reserve the right to be wrong-just ask my wife)-For leaf sprung cars it was supposed to keep the axle from rocking to and fro (pinion climb and dive). But on a rear suspension that is located with 4 bars, or other non-leaf device, it's not needed-rick

9. Agree that the original intention was to help control axle wrap. But given you are just putting mild engine in the car, I doubt you will have axle wrap issues. So put them on one side where it is aesthetically pleasing.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. pitman

pitman

Fewer questions on cruise nights. :D

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In '67 the new Camaro had the shocks on the same side of the rear end and the car had a horrible axle hop out of the hole. The wheel hop was present in both the mono leaf and multi stack options. They tried curing mid model year with a single traction bar on the right side of the axle (SS models) with limited success. In '68 they staggered the shocks (again on single and stack springs), eliminated the traction bar and they remained that way. I know that is a bow tie application and like my dear old grandmother used to say "you can put a bowtie on a goat, but it is still a goat".

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Hmm, I always thought the offset sales pitch was just smoke, like the wide track, and was more likely done for exhaust routing..

13. Mattilac

Mattilac

Thanks guys. Yea I'm working with a standard leaf spring rear suspension in my '64 F100. Already flipped the axle as discussed in another one of my threads. Just debating on shock placement now.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My VW Rabbit pickup has rear leaf springs and staggered shocks, was just under it yesterday. It's front wheel drive. Braking spring wrap?

15. town sedan

town sedan

The Germans hired an out of work Ford engineer who brought the better ideas with him?
    -Dave

clem likes this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

17. Mattilac

Mattilac

Let me ask you guys this - is it better to run shocks outboard the frame, but on the same side of the axle or inboard the frame, but staggered?

18. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ford trucks 64-66 have staggered rear shocks? HRP

19. Mattilac

Mattilac

Negative. Both inboard and to front of axle. I don't think Ford went to staggered shocks in their pickups until just recently! It's my understanding that Chevy went to staggered shocks in '73 or so.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

2014-01-05 20.22.33.png With parallel leaf spring rears and staggered shocks, the right shock is placed in front of the axle with the left shock to the rear of the axle, supposedly to prevent axle wrap under acceleration? What set up are you running and in what car, is it the 'F' series? From an aesthetic point of view it's nice to see both from behind. He's a truck arm style set up, actually 46 Oldsmobile trailing arms, I did for a friends 42 Chevy PU with centred housing, much nicer to look at.