Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How did you find the Hamb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 15, 2015.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's a lot easier to find than get rid of.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Unless the Boss shows you the door! :D HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Hell you got to work at that, trust me. :D

@luckythirteenagogo I was working at a large civil design firm a few years back and one of the cad techs asked me about the HAMB Drags so we started talking about the HAMB in general, I guess he decided to check it out on the company computer. I got a visit by someone from tech support asking about the HAMB I guess the kid told them to ask me about it. LOL the name isn't always considered PC. :eek: I took him over to the forum on my computer. they blocked the forum but gave me a cheat code so I could visit if I wanted to. Something about the site not being socially acceptable with some of the more straight laced people in the firm. :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  4. deto

deto

BAHAHAHAH! more than once my wife has seen some robust flesh on a tiny picture of my HAMB screen and questioned what I was doing...

3wLarry and volvobrynk like this.
  5. We were looking for several cars & parts for other people along with our 56 Olds 88 Been along time ago but have met many new friends Susan & Larry Down in the Mo. Ozarks

6. My mother always traditionally served it on Easter.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Steve told me about it. Right after he bought this car, and I gave him the front brakes for it. That was in 2004 I think.

[​IMG]

8. JimSibley

JimSibley

I invented the hamb while rooming with al gore in college.

56don, dudley32, Model T1 and 3 others like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My start was strange. Some good luck and excellent timing intersected at the ideal moment (more on that later). I remember the night before I joined the H.A.M.B., I was nervous because I didn't really understand what I was getting myself into. Do I join? Do I just keep on lurking? The rules made sense, but will I fit in? It was like mentally preparing for the first day of school. I filled out the information using my parents' email address and just like that, I was on board. For the rest of 2009 and into 2010, I managed to singlehandedly get the H.A.M.B. blocked at my high school for searching, reading and PMing during drafting class. Firewall up, H.A.M.B. out. I worked a Proxy and got back in, and it was traditional hot rod smooth sailing for the remainder of my high school days. And things only got better from there...

10. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

I was 17 and reading a Hot Rod Magazine article covering a primered ford roadster pickup // gasser type build. In the interview they mentioned it was built with help from their buddies on the HAMB. I trolled for a while and joined up shortly thereafter. I hated this place for a long time due to the big-mouthed pricks and unnecessary amounts of flaming/keyboard kickboxing. I don't really use it for tech, but it's an amazing resource for learning the true history of hot rodding.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. LOL a Super Moderator from The City doesn't think he's going to fit in. Like you really can't have a Rose before dinner. :D

J.Ukrop likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Saw it mentioned on another internet site.

13. pontiac

pontiac

I saw someone post about it on another forum.

14. Sad to see so few folks from 15+ years ago.

15. I've only been around for 12 years. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Got to start sometime! Better late than never!

17. Model T1

Model T1

Some of these posts are so touching. Almost enough to make a grown man cry!:(:confused:

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. I came across the hamb looking for some ideas for a Merc. Two years later and I still don't have a one

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

4,580 days
    31,267 posts

but who's counting?

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Don Coatney sent me in this direction.

21. ratster

ratster

i was at home depot and spooky was working there and told me about it, that was in colorado in 1999

22. dudley32

dudley32

:):):)

my buddy (hscott) turned me on to the HAMB

23. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After finally getting back to a hobby I had when I was younger, I picked up a 331 hemi short block with a camshaft that nobody knew the make or grind by the serial numbers on it. I started posting the numbers on different auto sites Hamb being one of them and after going through it found it to be the best hot rod site online.

24. I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque...actually a doctor who went to the HAMB Drags and was restoring a '60 Pontiac - one of the "Car Guys" lunch group from Kansas City that I was a member of - told me about it a few years before I moved back to Omaha. So I lurked a few times. Then I found out "Rocky" was a moderator, and since we've been buds since the early-mid '80s, plus I had a few other friends from back home on it, it all went downhill from there.

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Eating HAMB for Passover seems somehow just wrong. That pretty much sums up the HAMB somehow just wrong. :D

Your Nobel is in the mail. ;)

JimSibley and Model T1 like this.
  26. Yeah,the Boss threatened to swat my nose with a rolled up newspaper when I first joined.:rolleyes: HRP

27. Model T1

Model T1

Danny, you, that guy called Beaner, and a bunch of others keep me coming back. Ya'll almost make me feel sane and you know about old cars !:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I was on another forum and looked at a link that brought me here.

29. LOL once I bad mouthed someone's stump jumper when the boss was standing close by. I mentioned to him that I probably shouldn't have said that and he just smiled at me. :D

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

A few different ways we got here, but the most important thing is we are here now and I, for one, plan to stay as long as I am able to. :D:cool:;)

volvobrynk likes this.