Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goodguys Giveaways??Really?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phukinartie, Jul 16, 2015.

1. phukinartie

phukinartie

I was thumbing through my most recent issue today and I was looking at the giveaways and what a joke! They were almost all Discount off retail purchase... Guys with the money you get from these shows please let people walk with a tangible gift not spend moe $$$ to get some off " Coopin"

Model T1 likes this.
  2. GoodGuys, and NSRA too, used to give away really good stuff. Now that the new economy has taken over, not so much. You're right it's a joke. They don't give a damn, just all about the $$$. I think I may have attended my last GG show in April. No more for me, they can keep their crap. I'm out.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I won some heated seat inserts last year. decent prize. i installed them in my daily driver.
    While looking at the book the guy who was "working" the booth seemed a bit upset with the selection as well. 10% off a 4k quick change rear.... yeah thats nice, but its still 3600 and shipping!

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's kinda funny. I bet when the first guys gathered, at the very first car show EVER, all they wanted was a good place to park and a good time. The times have not changed, but a lot of us have.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

YOU got it tfeverFred...!!! FWIW, I've NEVER won anything at a GG's meet...OR an NSRA meet and I go to both... a lot...!!! IF that's the only reason you people go, then STAY home and play with your car in your own garage...!!!

R-

6. About 6 years ago I won a certificate for a Walker Radiator at the Knoxville,Tennessee Nats South..good for one radiator of my choice.

I ended up ordering the radiator for the Ranch Wagon and they even paid the freight.

At the Goodguys show in Charlotte,North Carolina I won a gift certificate for a purchase of merchandise from Brookville Roadsters.

I ended up getting a radiator shell and having to spend about 140.00 bucks plus freight.

The prizes use to be epic,,not so much anymore. HRP

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm not particularly an NSRA fan but they give away over 75K worth of prizes at each of their events. Greedguys give away snowballs in the summer time.

Nuff said.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    40fordtudor likes this.
  8. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Hey, you may be throwing rocks at the wrong people, both Goodguys and NSRA get the awards donated from vendors and as you know things have been rough for most of these guys, so they offer a discount to get their name out there in hopes of makind a sale that's, called business..........sounds like another pissing contest with theseguys / those guys.

49ratfink, Special Ed and Hnstray like this.
  9. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have said this for years. If your entering a car show, with the expectation of wining either a trophy, or a prize, your going to leave the show more often than not broken hearted! I thought the point of a car show was to get together with like minded people, look at some cool cars, shoot the bull with good friends and have a goodtime! Anything else would be a bonus!

Drunk Man, Saxman, Model T1 and 15 others like this.
  10. 3quarter32

3quarter32

11. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

I won some seat warmers 2 years ago still have not got them

12. You know, Joe's right. I wrote my response in haste. Carry on.

13. rockfish

rockfish

I think the reason for complaining about the decline in quality/value of the Goodguys prizes is that they are a for profit business and charge a small fortune for show admission. I prefer smaller local shows that benefit a charity and don't care about trophies. Does seem like Goodguys is getting more and more complaints about not offering value for what it costs to show your car.

40fordtudor, olcurmdgeon and slammed like this.
  14. slammed

slammed

And during this 1st year, what was the net worth worth of the GG. And then in 10 years. 20 years. And the merchandising each decade. The magazine. The web site. The added venues. ~Burn out~ No, it has all come back to reality. Beginning middle and end. It's at the end.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, it is the vendors that are not giving away touchy feely stuff. but, they are hit quite often by other events and magazine builds, etc. then add in the extreme cost of having a space at a GG/NSRA event. on top off that all of the overhead going from point A to B, with fuel, food, rooms, pay employees, insurance, etc.
    over the years Wife & I have "won" a couple of things and trophies. but, do know people that are upset if they do not win at every event. GG / NSRA do give away a car but, sometimes that can be a burden on the winner too.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. roundvalley

roundvalley

In the 80's NSRA was on the same track as Good Guys are now. Meadors left and started Good Guys and it took off. Looks like the worm has turned again. The only venture I see on the same good track for years is Ryan and the HAMB.

40fordtudor likes this.
  17. ACinSD

ACinSD

I always shake my head when people complain about getting free stuff or discounts. High expectations make for poor experiences. Yes GG is a for profit enterprise, a business, providing livelihood for many employees. Go to car shows to look at cars and meet car people; whether it's a GG show or your local cruise night. Don't go expecting handouts.

18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

AMEN BROTHER! Joe

ACinSD likes this.
  19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"Something for nothing and the chicks for free "........ Dire Straights
    Right.........
    If you are going to anything for the freebies....... you're just setting yourself up to be so disappointed.
    Life is short....
    Any time you can get to spend some time with a car buddy friend is worth far more than a car part.
    At Goodguys in Desmoines, I spent some time with my friends Plumbid and Bob K and that is what I enjoy the most, will remember most over a discount off of a radiator or wheels or rubber trim parts if I won something.

Really guys ?

Why is it so damn important how much money someone else makes ?
    There is nothing wrong with profit.
    It takes money to run shows, rent fairgrounds or run websites.
    It's NONE of any ones business.

It costs to run , upkeep equipment to run a website.

Having a place like the HAMB / HAMB DRAGS or Good Guys to go see and enjoy friends is priceless. Is to me anyway.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    49ratfink, Saxman, Model T1 and 4 others like this.
  20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I don't go for awards or for give aways, I go for the vehicles and the people. I always have a good time.

Model T1, Hnstray and i.rant like this.
  21. JimSibley

JimSibley

goodguys charges 12$ for a guy to come and look at your car that they charged you 75.00$ to put there for him to view it. The awards are some of the cheesiest, and my goody bag goes straight in the trash.

22. phukinartie

phukinartie

I go to the Northwest Nats almost every year I am a member and have won a trophy there It was a blast either way and my car is a driver. So I am not in it to win it. I do not mind one bit handing over the 75 bucks at all but jeez help a honkey out and not cheap out on giveaways and make the sponsors pony up its advertising! And if you think I should like it or stay home ..lick my chocolate balloon knot

JimSibley likes this.
  23. You all aware that there is no free lunch right? :D

Special Ed, INVISIBLEKID and Hnstray like this.
  24. rockfish

rockfish

Yeah, we are aware. I think that's the point of the OP. He's paying $75.00 for a lunch that consists of government cheese on stale bread. He feels he's not getting value from Goodguys anymore.

Model T1 likes this.
  25. No one ever has, Good Guys is in the business of making money not giving it away. your value is being able to show your car off.

26. slammed

slammed

[QUOTE="phukinarte And if you think I should like it or stay home ..lick my chocolate balloon knot[/QUOTE] No on both accounts. Whether you like the GG or not is your deal. The last statement is 'tasteless'.

27. slammed

slammed

Yes, the early days of this place we chipped in for HAMB auctions & donated and were protective of it. Te updates from Hunter & the German were informing of what it took. I quit the circus of GG in 2002. I did not quit here.

28. rockfish

rockfish

I promise this will be my last post on this thread so you can get in the last word after me :D. Obviously Goodguys is in business to make money. The idea behind a sustainable business is to make your customers feel they are getting value in return for the money they spend. Maybe Goodguys isn't doing this anymore. Once again, at $75.00 to show a car combined with crappy raffle prizes, phukinartie does not feel he is getting value any longer.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. k9racer

k9racer

When I am awarded a trophy at a car shoe I give the trophy to a kid. Same thing at the circle track races . when I win a kid gets a trophy, I am not in the automobile hobby to do anything but have fun.

Model T1 and Hnstray like this.
  30. phukinartie

phukinartie

No on both accounts. Whether you like the GG or not is your deal. The last statement is 'tasteless'.[/QUOTE]
    Oh there is plenty of "Taste" There its just all bad...

Model T1 likes this.