Register now to get rid of these ads!

History C.A. Hall Auto Top Shop: A Mysterious '39 Lincoln

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

C.A. Hall Auto Top Shop: A Mysterious '39 Lincoln

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

cactus1 likes this.
  2. It is a prewar custom, if you remember the Prewar dry lake footage posted a few years back it was shown at the 1 minute mark. It maybe a '38 Zephyr. The pic you posted I believe came from Ron Brooks (R&C Ron).

3. screen shots

Attached Files:

4. ... plot thickens ...

5. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Damn Ryan, you're killing me! I totally agree it's a monumental beauty. BUT, there's a lot more going on. The running board (misnomer, because Zephyrs never had running boards) roll at the bottom of the fenders, door and quarter panel has been eliminated in the C.A. Hall photo but NOT from the door (yet) in the second screen shot. I would speculate the builder was emulating the prewar Continental styling which also eliminated the roll. As a styling touch , the roll follows an odd trajectory. NOT present on V-8 Fords from the deuce until the 41 model, and continuing until 48. NOT on 39 and 40 Mercs and then used from 41 until 48. And INTRODUCED on Zephyrs in 36 and continued on Lincolns until 48 EXCEPT for Continentals 39-48. WTF?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah. I guessed at the year.

7. No worries boss .... grammar police arriving ...

Hey Lucas, your signature line contains a small error. "Disputandem" is spelled with a U at the end, not an E. "Disputandum" No disrespect as it does loosely translate as "no arguing about tastes and colors". Just sayin'. o_O;) haha, seems to all correlate with every post anyway. Good sig', and a good day.

8. Torchie

Torchie

Also notice the absence of spot lights as well as the almost level stance. Looks more like a coach built car than a typical prewar custom even though it is identified as such. I would bet a tenner that Rik would have some info on this beauty.
    I dig all the cars on pictured on the C A Hall link that Ryan posted. Interesting seeing a Cord as well. High end stuff to be sure......
    Torchie

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

To heck with all of the rigmarole, that is one sharp looking Kustom.I wouldn't change a thing.

10. JJK

JJK

For sure a 38 and the absence of running boards would make for an easy aesthetic upgrade that year model . I think its spot on for a car that needs minimal customizing, less is always more when it comes to Zephyrs. Also the grill treatment appears to be 41 Nash in the provided screen shots; another subtle upgrade for such an already elegant car.

11. froghawk

froghawk

That car sure has a great profile! Not sure the grill shown in the screen capture is a better solution than stock, but it is pretty cool.

Some more info is definitely needed! "....Paging Rik Hoving to the Titian Red Courtesy Phone, please!"

12. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Kid Campbell, point taken, thank you - I will correct. I got that quote from my professor of Spanish, who was from Barcelona, so perhaps his spelling was an, ahem, Mediterraneanism. Also nice to receive constructive criticism from a HAMBer with such exquisite taste (your avatar). Bella dona! Linda never stops improving with age. BTW, I chose the sig because when you come down to it, it's all good and beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder. Seems like we're all in agreement on Ryan's post. I would suggest a 40 or 41 grille in place of the 38 because, like Linda, it's the same, just moreso.

13. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Kid Campbell, point taken and duly noted. Quote comes from my Spanish Professor who was from Barcelona, so maybe it's a Mediterraneanism. Anyway, appears we all agree on good taste (i.e., your avatar). Linda just keeps getting better with age. BTW, my suggestion for a grill change would be a 40 or 41 Lincoln since it's the same, only like Linda, moreso. Also agree with JJK that Zephyrs don't need much to really shine. They come channeled from the factory and the hood is already pancaked. What's not to like?

14. CadMad

CadMad

This one is just so right. I looked and looked at this prior to choosing the direction for my Cad. Just wish we could see more traditional builds like this.

15. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is the story on the photo, the original was given to me by a retired Oakland Firefighter friend about 20 years ago. He told me it had been taken off the wall at the old Hall Top Shop in Oakland. I have never been able to get any further info on the car. I also have this second photo without the top. This Photo with the eucalyptus trees in the background really looks like the Oakland/East Bay hills!
    I am a huge fan of Hall Tops , and a little biased , having one on my 40 Chevy.

[​IMG]