Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LaSalle to early Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andrew rea, Jul 16, 2015.

1. andrew rea

andrew rea

Hi I am trying to adapt a 37 laSalle gear box on to a 51 331 hemi (integral bell housing type) I have a after market cast alluminum bell housing which adapts the lasalle box to the hemi Does anybody know what clutch fork , and release bearing would have been used with this set up?

2. F&J

F&J

I don't know. I had a 354 with a sideshift LaS in the 60s, but did not know what the ID was on those parts you need.

Put up a pic of the back of the adapter bell so we can tell if it uses the LaS,Cad TOB guide tube/bearing retainer....

if it does, then the TOB would need to fit the LaS guide tube/bearing retainer, so I would guess LaS, Cad, and early Olds ? Then the fork would need to fit onto the TOB, so maybe same car as the TOB?

If you don't get an answer, put up a pic with measurements from pivot ball to C/L of input bore on adapter bell, and I can measure an early Olds

3. 73RR

73RR

As F&J notes, the tob will need to match the front bearing retainer sleeve as well as being proper for the style of pressure plate as some bearings are sensitive to the pp fingers.
    If you can ID the adapter then someone may have an old catalogue listing the required fork for the combo.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Different but similar. I put a Top loader Ford trans against 392. I used a Chevy blow shield to go between. I used the Chevy ball mount and throwout arm. I cut the flywheel down to accept the Chevy ring gear. The throwout bearing was to small to fit the sleeve. But not by much, so I turned the sleeve to fit the TO bearing. Later when I put a Packard V8 in the same car with the same trans, I used the Packard bell housing and flywheel. I used the Ford angle fulcrum and throwout arm. I made a bushing and pressed it into the TO bearing to fit the sleeve. Not to bad as long as you don't get to hung up on using the right parts. Alright. I am trying to remember this and I think I am mistaken. I used a B&B clutch on the Chrysler and a Long clutch on the Packard. I did not sleeve the throwout bearing. I used another Bearing retainer that wasn't undersize. On my '26 Dodge Bros. engine I am using a 2300 Pinto transmission. Adapter made from a Small block Ford blow shield. It used a '51 Ford six cylinder clutch (splines fit the metric trans) and I sleeved that Ford throwout bearing to fit the Pinto trans. Any way the idea is the same. Just use what works for you.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

5. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi, I just saw an ad for a complete adapter kit like you described on Hot Heads Swap Meet, looks to include clutch and flywheel.

Jan In Ojai, CA

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. But i sold the '92 years ago and put a Packard in the car. First Packard powered Vega on the salt. Sold the Packard engine a couple of years ago and the Vega went down to run with the DLRA

7. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Check out HotHeads swap meet, there is an ad there for a kit like this.
    Jan in Ojai, CA

8. andrew rea

andrew rea

Heres a couple of pics of my adaptor starting to think a lasalle fork and bearing may have been used ???

9. andrew rea

andrew rea

10. andrew rea

andrew rea

11. andrew rea

andrew rea

12. 73RR

73RR

The basic requirements of the fork and bearing are that they release the pp.
    •The tob needs to be compatible with the finger style of the pp and also have a sliding fit on
    the front bearing retainer.
    •The fork needs to be compatible with the bearing and have a pivot point in/on the bell.
    If you have a selection of bearings that fit the retainer, or can be bushed to fit, then look at the
    associated fork. The pivot can be moved to accommodate.
    Remember that the bearing only needs a small amount of travel to do its job.