Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 Burnouts at Olympic Games Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guacamole, Feb 11, 2006.

1. guacamole

guacamole
    from New Mexico

Never thought I’d see an F1 car burning rubber and spinning donuts in a cloud of tire smoke during the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympic Games, along with Luciano Pavarotti and a cast of thousands being watched by 50 million people. Say what you want about the Italians, I say they are cool!

2. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

Fuckin ayyyy I was going apeshit when I saw that thing doing doughnuts... dang that was cool... I think I like the sound better than watching it. I still think that was the coolest thing I have seen in a while. dang!

3. yeah , i saw it too..holy shit , i couldn't believe my eyes......

4. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Torino is a very big car town to the Europeans. It isn't what it used to be with the decline of Fiat but it's still a car town.

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Starsky and Hutch dig it.

My Mom's family is from there. Living in Oklahoma, everyone thinks I'm part Indian or part Mexican.

6. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

When I saw that Ferrari doing those burnouts, I thought to myself: Who is going to be the first to post this on the H.A.M.B.? It was cool and the sound was neat.

Personnally, I rather go to Bolonga. If my over-40 memory serves me correctly, that is where the Ducati factory is located. Desmo motorcycles are neat. Its the engineer in me. Of course the Duck factory doesn't make desmo motors anymore. Sad.

7. THECHICK

THECHICK

kinda funny- we always comment at the house that no matter WHAT we are watching ,the hobby always eeeks through- this was a PERFECT example. Made watchnig sports stuff a bit more bearable.

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Damn I missed it, does anybody have a clip of the event.

B:mad:B

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

yeah, that was cool......in the midst of all that multi-cultural crap, it really stood out!!

was he adding to the sound effects by rapping on the throttle? that echo was......wow!!

10. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

OH! Ok. I’m sitting here reading this going: ‘What the hell is an F-1 car?‘ I was thinking: ‘Is it some kind of El-Car-Truck-o (Elcamino) thingy that Ford made overseas?? ‘ Obviously I don’t know much about Ferraris… I missed it too. Anyone know where I can see it?

11. Tammy

Tammy

I agree that was so cool............:DTammy

12. HEY COOL DONT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE THE SPECTACLE!!!!!
    I LEFT A LAME ASS FRIDAY NIGHT CRUISE AND PARK TO SEE THE OPENING OF THE WINTER GAMES CAUSE IT ONLY HAPPENS EVERY COUPLA YEARS. SOME ONE SAID TO ME "SO YOU ARE GOING TO WATCH IT WITH THE COUPLA OTHER GEEKS WHO TUNE IN"............NOW THEY ARE SAYIN "MAN I WISH I'DE SEEN THAT!!" WHO'S THE GEEK NOW BITCHES!!!
    FOR THOSE TOO COOL TO HAVE SEEN IT.......THE CAMERA PANS TO THE STAGE, CURTAIN GOES UP....TEAM FERRARI HAS THE CAR ON THE JACKS AND LIGHTS IT OFF......THE ENGINE IS SCREAMING AT LIKE 12,000 RPM IDLEING(YES THAT FAST) ROLLS OUT TO CENTER STAGE TO A STANDING 'O' AND CHEERING TO WAKE THE DEAD.......THEN THE DRIVER TURNS THE WHEELS AND STANDS ON IT!!! ENGINE SCREAMING AT OVER 20,000 'R'S SOUNDING LIKE THE BIGGEST DENTIST DRILL IN THE UNIVERSE AS THE REAR TIRES EXPLODE IN THICK SMOKE!! AROUND AND AROUND IN ENDLESS DOUGHNUTS, TOO MANY TO COUNT, TILL THE F-1 DISSAPEARS IN THE CLOUD OF THICK TIRE SMOKE NOW REACHING TO THE TOP OF THE STADIUM!!! I'M BETTING THEY HEARD THE CROWD CHEERING AND GOING NUTZ ALL THE WAY IN ATHENS AT THE OLYIMPIC STADIUM!!!!!
    BUT SOME OF Y'ALL WERE TOO COOL TO WATCH....HEY MAN THIS SHIT IS HISTORY IN THE MAKING.
    I AGREE THAT WAS COOOOL!

13. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

It WAS different! When he started the donuts, I crossed my fingers and hoped the car wouldn't "get away" and land in the competitors pit! (it has happened at a race track before)

BUT; what the hey! That's going to be one "tough act" to follow!
    The next Winter Olympic Games are here in Canada; maybe we could get the space shuttle to land on stage!! :D

14. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

So, why were you watching?

You seem to like "sticking your foot in your mouth."
    There is an old saying; "It is better to say NOTHING, and be thought a FOOL; than OPEN your mouth, and PROVE IT!"

15. kentucky

kentucky

Here's a pic, better than nothing:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Wowcars

Wowcars

Damn, you guys had me goin. Since I didn't see it, I was picturing some red, slammed, white-walled 48 Pickup cuttin it up in Italy.

17. retro54

retro54
    from PA

I was on my feet cheering for the car... best damn olympics opener ever!!! After living in the country for 5 months, I'm not surprised by the display, but very pleased..!!

and hey, gotta say, GO USA!! can't wait to see the medals we rack up!

18. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

...but either way you're a fool.....guess that makes two of us......

oh, davey, get down here and let me give you a great big hug! you're too sensitive.......maybe you can help me get my foot out of my mouth too....

no one else saw it as ironic that through all that pomp and circumstance a fire breathing internal combustion engine comes out.......yeah, i though it was pretty cool........that's the kinds of artsy stuff i like....add explosives, guns and things that destroy the environment..... ;)

....crap, i just put my foot in there again.....when will i ever learn....:):)

19. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I'm was thinking the same thing...Really confused trying to think what old pick up trucks have to do with snow sports!

20. found this on the official winter olyimpics website:

21. HoB

HoB
    from Sweden

22. You think that's bad... try being half Italian and looking Italian with a German name... I get questioned about it a lot.

and what can I say... we Italians like to do burnouts... hehehehe...

Sam.

23. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

F1 drivers love doing that stuff. They turn up every year at the goodwood festival of speed and abuse the car as much as possible.. a few years ago eddie irvine snapped a driveshaft on a ferrari after laying 300 yards of rubber. In recent years they've had rods displayed there and had AA/FA cars running.

Do a image or video search for "Festival of Speed" or "Goodwood FOS" and you should find some stuff.. I found some old videos here http://www.neilevans.dsl.pipex.com/... here [url]http://www.goodwood.co.uk/revival/

link for festival of speed is www.goodwood.co.uk/fos

24. Bugman

Bugman

25. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

26. dehudso

dehudso

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

So what are ya?

28. Chuck R

Chuck R

way better audio
    chuck

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wonder if they had to replace the clutch afterwards....:D

i hear that the clutches dont much care for lots of smokey burnouts...and go south in a hurry (1,500 hp est?)

truely bad ass though!