Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Naming your car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by IROC100, Jun 6, 2015.

1. LAROKE

LAROKE

My '55 1st series Chevy truck is called "BillyBob". I often think of my father and grandfather and brother when I'm behind the wheel in this pickup. It's the reason I named the truck "BillyBob." My brother's name is William Craig Kephart and my father's was Robert Joseph Kephart . . . "Billy" and "Bob" worked on this truck together.

My '37 Chevy truck is "Deerslayer". At the Macungie truck show in 2007, the truck received damage when a deer came out of the Pennsylvania woods and slammed into the driver's side of the truck while my friends Arlyn and Tony were on a performance run. Tony (Truckedup) was the owner at the time. Hence, the nickname "Deerslayer" for the truck when I bought it. It had a better ring to it than "Bambi Killer".

2. 2 guys in high school had matching 37 Buick roadmaster sedans..one was dark blue and had "Untouchable" painted on the lower front fenders behind the front wheel....the other was a dark green with the name "Elliot Ness" in the same place with a caricature of a gangster in gray overcoat and hat pulled down over it's eyes and a tommy gun under its' arm with a wisp of smoke coming off it's barrel....It was hilarious! They'd slowly cruise around the school one behind the other with both cars full of students.
    Another guy had a brown, hot rod 37 chevy coupe with "Maverick" painted in western style lettering. One guy took it too far with his freshly painted dark blue 51 merc coupe...he painted low on the front fender..."The naked crotch" in bright white lettering....
    The next night I saw him cruising downtown in the merc with fresh black primer spots on his lower front fenders.

3. An older buddy of mine and I went together on a white '59 Impala. We hung the widest tires you could find in '69 on it (raised the rear and still had to make a cut to get them to not rub) then we got a sign painter to paint "The Big Meats" over the radius of the rear tires. It didn't attract as many gurls as we thought it would. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe "sausages on patrol" ? Is a gurl the same as a girl but different?

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gurl. Hmmm. Years ago, a bunch of us were out bar hopping in Vancouver, and a friend of mine inadvertantly picked up one of "those". Several of us tried to give him a heads-up, but he didnt take it seriously. Must have been his Italian heritage, he was used to women with 5 oclock shadow, I guess.
    All hell broke loose a little later in the evening, when he found himself confronted with the " physical evidence".:eek::p

Model T1 likes this.
  6. My buddy back then always called the guuuuurls. :D

Well there was a blues singer named Carter who did an album called the nasty blues. He said in one of his songs, "Well you better watch where you stroke, cause it may turn out to be a joke." Although if you are on the receiving end of it you may just not see the humor in it. :D

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. AsphaltAngel

AsphaltAngel
    from Hope AR

Love the lyrics!

8. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Duane Steck named his white 54 Moonglow and I fell in love with it. Since mine is black and I used to live in North Carolina where illegal liquor was (and still is) made. I call mine Moonshine.

9. ish817

ish817

I call my 55olds the Hag, because it's the first three letters on the 1970's plate.

10. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

I just call my truck the 37. Always called my vehicles by their year of manufacture.

11. jroberts

jroberts

I remember people putting their cars' names on the fenders like this. I tried to get my dad to put "Blue Angel" on the rear fenders of his new baby blue '61 Pontiac Catalina (unique car by-the-way 389 with three speed on the column from the factory.). Naturally he rolled his eyes and said "No!" Maybe that's why I don't name any of my cars or trucks.

12. I seem to find a name for anything motorized around my place...
    GMC shortbed pickup is named 'Shorty'
    '47 Ford is named 'Ruby"
    Snowblower is named 'Chuggie'
    I have a lawntractor named 'Vince'
    A previous daily was a VW Jetta named 'Greta'
    another previous daily was an older Oldsmobile that we called 'The Blue Angel'-son's girlfriend still has the car and the name stuck
    I dunno-just seem to hang names on all this stuff like it's another member of the family

13. In my shed I have a (non HAMB) '27 Ford Roadster which got the name "The Steel Rack" and in another shed I have a (HAMB Friendly) '27 Ford Tudor, which I have named the "New Black". Steel Rack got it's handle because not long after I started it, a friend wanted a photo to include in a Club writeup he was doing. I told him to just go take a pic at his local Steel Supplier, as it would be more interesting. (probably still would be after 12 years). "New Black" got it's name from the color it will be painted when time is right - Orange.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

My first '55 Chevy I called "Bucket of Bolts" the second I called "POS" because that's exactly what they were! Now I just call the whole herd "My Girls" or "The Whores"!

15. I had an OT Chevy wagon that I picked up for junk money. Surprisingly it ran great considering how bad it looked. It was named The Silver Bullet. My previous OT Chevy wagon, what a horrid POS that was... since it was brown, it got named as That Brown Piece of Shit. Before or since, I have never named a car.

16. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Mines called "SIR ASSETH OF HOLE"!

17. chip chipman

chip chipman

I call the Merc "Love Hurts". If you have to ask you must not do your own work.

18. 1950 Chev pickup "Uncle Milty"
    1946 Ford pickup "G Clifford"
    1952 Pontiac Hardtop "The Mistress"

Before my wife

1962 VW Bug (sliding ragtop) "Bloody Mary"
    1965 Mustang Convertible "Topless Tramp"
    1966 Mustang Fastback "The Harlot"
    1968 Mercury Cougar GT "G Tomba"
    1972 GMC 3/4 ton (beige) "Big Pink"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  19. I needed a good gasser name that honored my hemi engine. It is a takeoff on an old Angie Dickenson made-for-TV movie, "Cry Terror!".[​IMG]

20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

There used to be on old Gasser style 56 Chevy in the Cincinnati area called Flatulence.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was checking out another thread on the HAMB, there was a car there named "Mr. Excitement" but the lettering was kind of distorted, when I first glanced at it, I thought it said "Mr. Excrement". Really got me to thinking. Maybe I WILL name one of my cars after all...

22. AsphaltAngel

AsphaltAngel
    from Hope AR

My 86 square body is named the same as my user name

23. ARNIE

ARNIE

My Crosley Rail is "High Times" ,cause that is what it turns & is a High driving it! My 55 Chevy was "Lil" Tantrum, Named after a dance on a 60's movie

24. I've been known to call a few of my cars names but assigned names,especially painted on the car is not something I would do,but if you want it on your car or truck that's fine. HRP

25. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I usually refer to my cars by their year or model or color. The AWB I built was a different deal as it was part of the program to letter it. My buddy who paints my cars came up with the name.

Attached Files: