Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's have our own 84th anniversary event for the 40 ford...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Feb 10, 2015.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And some good ideas here on ialleviate the issue.
    But I'm not at all sure what a Hagan fuel filler is or where to get one????????????????
    The Perma Cap, modified as shown in the link looks to be easy enough to place in filler neck and I can see that you could trim down one of those Perma Caps and sorta wedge it in place could well do the job easily. Took a look inside mine today.

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I originally came up with the Perma Cap idea because gas came out of my 36 3w coupe when cornering.
    It pretty well eliminated the problem completely. You still couldn't fill it but so fast but it prevented most of the spills while filling it up versus before.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like patience and a perma cap combined might be the ticket,

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP, do you know what kind of gauges and panel is in this '40 ? No alterations necessary to that beautiful dash.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gary, the '40 HRP posted was and is mine. Danny was kind enough to posat the pics for me as I was having some problems here with PC posting pics.
    The gauges are Haveline, and I am unsure of the panel, but no visible mods to install. If you like, I can contact previous owner about origin of panel.

6. Cool T shirt. I suppose they aren't available to purchase?

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

OL55, there is a blog by a guy named Lynn Pew in CA. He was one of the organizers of the '40 Ford display at the GNRS this year. These shirts were made for the guys who had cars in the display. He mentioned it in his blog, Pewsplace, and when I asked about the availability of the shirts he told me the name of the outfit. I was able to find an email address for the shirt guy through Google and the guy did a few for me. I will try and find some more info or you could go to Lynn's blog and contact him for a contact name.

8. Thanks, I'll look into that.

9. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the contact info for the 40 is 75 t-shirts on my iPad and will post it later today.

lothiandon1940 and olcurmdgeon like this.
  10. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my shirts from Dave High. Send him an email and he will hook you up. He is the one that printed the shirts in the previous posts.

[email protected]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

picture of the day from thead on social media. Flames on a '40 are like chili and onions on a hot dog, what's not to like?
    11201171_407580932768457_968324175486545654_n.jpg

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Some may regard this as OT, or even wrong to even consider doing to a '40, but I'm gonna throw it out here anyhow.
    Since I live in a small city, with the usual inattentive drivers being even worse due to the small town atmosphere still prevalent, I'm often quite nervous of other drivers when I'm in my '40. The absolute worst are the Soccer Moms in their SUV's talking on their cell phone. and tailgating you while they're driving, talking on that phone and trying to keep their spoiled rotten kids somewhat under control.
    On my '31"A" hiboy roadster I have a louvered deck lid with a row of 7 large red LEDs hidden inside the louvers and used as a 3rd brake light. But I have no intention of making ANY cuts on that pristine '40 deck lid, which is still like original. Been trying to think of a way to add a more visible brake light without detracting from the OEM look of the exterior.
    Well last Sat. I went to the local cruise in and was parked beside a gentleman near my age with a beautifully restored "A" coupe, also very near OEM in appearance with all sorts of goodies out of sight. As we sat in the shade behind our cars and chatted off and on thru the late afternoon sun, I asked him about the license tag frame he had on his "A", as it had a slightly thicker area on top with a dark colored lens, and yes, it had a row of LEDs about 5" long that were pretty noticeable when illuminated under that dark lens. And yes, it was wired up as a 3rd brake light.
    Think this is the least objectionable way I've found to get that 3rd brake light, but where do I find it? The "A" owner bought his at a swap meet in Moultrie, GA some time back.
    Anybody spotted these for sale from a dealer online, preferably a HAMB Alliance dealer?

13. Those used to be widely available and they also have a tag light built in as well as the third brake light. They are billet aluminum but I guess you could paint them if you found them distasteful.

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

1347643283847.jpg I have one on my 40 and put a pulsator on to pulse the third brake light.

15. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Let me chime in on third brake lights. NH is one of the "grayest" states in the nation, for some reason. Old people like to stay here or they spend the winter in Florida and return here in the summer. Most drive like they are oblivious to the traffic. I actually witnessed at a DMV office an inspector bring a very old woman back in from a road test (she would have been over 75 as the law prescribes road test for renewals over that age) and gently tell her she passed but to remember "that she promised only to drive to the store Sunday mornings when the traffic was light". So help me God that is what the uniformed inspector told her. Because we are a rural state with very little public transit, many people don't have any other way to get necessities other than driving.
    Now to dirtyoldman's post. I agree, a third brake light on a '40 is cheap insurance, let the purists say what they may. Mine came with Juliano third light in rear window, a split one for that window that functions as a turn signal also, another good thing to have. I am also going to drive over to StreetWorks in Nashua, NH and see if their LED tailight bulbs will fit in the stock '40 housing. They are a little longer but may fit in there. Only change they say you may need is their matching flasher. I think the top of the plate LED is good also. And good suggestion to flat black the billet (can't believe I used that word). That is what I did with my light. Now in the beach traffic around Hampton going to cruises I have some added protection, not perfect but better than just a St. Christopher medal on the dash.

i.rant, lothiandon1940 and Legends47 like this.
  16. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same Juliano's third brake light and my taillights are LED also, not just the lamps but complete LED taillights. I have friends say when the follow me they can see my car due to the lights.

i.rant likes this.
  17. I've got these god awful trailer lights mounted up under my 40 because there have been one too many people locking up their brakes behind me. You don't really see them until I hit the brakes because they're tucked up pretty good, but they still bug me. I have been thinking about LED's but I hesitate. Which is the lesser of two evils??!! :)

Attached Files:

18. I have a standard, and I want to retain the single tail light. My solution is two bullet Harley lights on the insides of the bumper guards since there will be two the will also double a turn signals. See Lee Pratt's 40 coupe for reference.

19. Regardless of how you light up the rear of a 40 Ford or any other early car for that matter, idiots that are not paying attention can ruin your day.

Prime example was the late Randy Nash (Deuce Roadster) accident several years ago while sitting at a red light. HRP

[​IMG]

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This is what terrifies me about driving old cars in modern day traffic. People drive like idiots what with texting and just plain not paying attention. Be careful out there everyone!!!

21. Randy did get the car repaired,his body man is a amazingly talented guy and was even able to save the deck lid and rear panel,although they did replace a fender with a NOS one. HRP

[​IMG]

40FordDeluxe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ditto. and yes, the moronic soccer moms (and young princesses, which are the future soccer moms) are the worst.
    I have a '39 convert in the project stage, I was thinking of putting a jack under the back edge of the top roll, and a led light I could plug into the jack, then I could remove it when the car was parked, then the top roll would hide the jack and no-one would be the wiser. But that license plate frame is a good solution. Whatever you do, I think its gotta be up high and in their face to be any use, these people are REAL MORONS.

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I too have a Juliano 3rd brake light in my split window which I upgraded to LED and LED tail lights. For the amount of miles my car sees in a season (last year about 12k) I want to be seen hopefully even by the non- attentive. Substance over style you could say. :)

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I cant recall the name of the tailight assemblies I put in my 40 coupe but they are a sealed LED light that is easy to see mounted in the stock 40 location. They are extremely bright, not traditional in appearance, but those behind me see them.

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  25. 1940rpu

1940rpu

26. 1940rpu

1940rpu

This one is my '40. All steel all owner built. A blast to drive. bare 005.jpg

27. 1940rpu.....BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

that must be common, OL 55, to put running lights up under a '40? Mine was built late 70s and has two Yankee brand clearance lights up under the tail which are running lights, not brake lights. I just left them there, little more illumination from the rear on a black car is not a bad thing.

OL 55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

for all of us oldtimers, here's a pic from social media this morning that will bring back memories of the 50s! Check out the wooden timing tower and the proud recipients of that class trophy with their '40! Shades of Sanford, ME, or Charletown, RI. Geez, wish Mr. Peabody and the way back machine were here now.
    11750724_993866290647132_8388127427031359042_n.jpg

30. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Do pickups come any prettier? From social media thread on '39-'40 Fords
    11738037_407794369413780_90017029096882779_n.jpg