Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Merc 4 door chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krahnic, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Krahnic

Krahnic

Thanks for the positive comments. It won't be getting painted on the outside, except clear. At least not for a long time. Other body modifications like headlights, taillights, side pipes coming out of the fenders, grille & bumper work will take priority over any colored coatings. I'm going to skip doing lead, and clear coat the bare steel on the whole roof & door tops. The same with any other places I kustomize. Maybe a flat mint green some day, nothing too fancy to spot repair, this is a daily driver.
    The interior steel parts will be light pastel green and dark green kandy with big Roth Trippin Bong Water Green metal flakes. I may have to do some pinstripes on the dash & a few other places, but that may have to wait till Im driving it.
    I plan to do air bags so I can park it on the ground, but have been considering hydraulics as a more old school option. I don't think smooth ride is available with hydraulics.

2. Hey Chris, how long before we could drive by the shop and see the Merc out front? I used to enjoy seeing her sitting at the curb before you started the chop. Now I may have to stop and gawk a little.

3. You're doing a bloody top job mate.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Krahnic likes this.
  4. Krahnic

Krahnic

I am anxious to drive her again. As soon as I have my interior parts painted and installed, lower seat mounts and new front glass installed, she will be back on the road (weather permitting until side glass & trim is finished) I am still looking for a 6-hole steering wheel mount. I may have to have one custom machined.

5. Krahnic

Krahnic

Does anyone think that this car should have hydraulics with accumulators for a smooth ride instead of using air bags? It seems more old school for low ride height control. I want to be able to drop it on the ground when I park. I am non-Hispanic.

6. Krahnic

Krahnic

Here are the uprights between roll-ups & vent windows. Modified right side next to factory left side. I am now working on side window weatherstrip.
    I decided to keep the roof bare metal & sprayed some clear krylon on it, and some almond in the door jambs. Once I paint the interior parts with good paint, I just have to polish dash parts, build new seat brackets, steering wheel mount DSCF0286.JPG & assemble!

7. Hey Chris, good to see you're getting so close. I'm surprised that no body had any words of wisdom on the suspension question? I've never had either so couldn't provide any constructive comment. Can't wait to see it down at the shop.

8. Neat to see your approach to a 4 door, like it, certainly refreshing to see it being done.
    As for the suspension deal, on a Merc I feel it's best suited with bags, and we found that with a small notch one could have the sills down super low, not smashing the chassis, without having to cut the rear inner fender, or making life super complicated, which we felt offered best bang for buck.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

Krahnic likes this.
  9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I have got to say, that is a great looking chop, four door or other wise, you did an out standing job.
    As for suspension, I have had both they each have there pros and cons.
    If it was mine I would slam the front and put bags on the rear only, not really a tail dragger but with those skirts and the large open front wheel I think it would look great air out in the rear when parked.
    either way you go, I would run hard lines either hydro or air. then a short flex line to the bags or rams.
    its a little most cost but a lot less chance of a ruptured soft lines.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

Krahnic likes this.
  10. Krahnic

Krahnic

DSC_0955.JPG
    Sprayed some flake today & blew some big flake on top of it. I left the bullet hole. A little more flake and clear coat tomorrow! :)

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Looks cool Chris. Have you had the car out yet?

12. Krahnic

Krahnic

No, not back together yet. Soon, very soon!!! DSCF0417.jpg Mint green with green pearl, and kandy green with green pearl, green flake and Roth Metal Flake Bong Water Green big flake on top. 23 pieces total, 5 still need more clear coat. The bling factor is amazing!!!

13. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Nice job! Did you get your outside door handles?

14. Krahnic

Krahnic

I got the door handles! Rough ones that still shine for a good price. I still need a steering wheel adapter, and will probably have one lathed, as I have no leads, or cross references for a steering wheel kit. I will be using a 6 hole Momo pattern steering wheel.

15. 68wagon

68wagon

Wow looking good mate

Krahnic likes this.
  16. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Got a picture of this steering wheel adaptor? Is it original

17. Krahnic

Krahnic

Vent windows. Before and after.
    Fronts are 2" shorter front to back than stock to retain triangular shape.. Top piece was flipped to locate hinge depression. I made a custom hinge for the top. Backs are made from 2 parts for extra radius at the back. Gentle bends & straightens go pretty easy cold.
    DSCF0427.JPG

18. Krahnic

Krahnic

Working on rubber seals for my vent windows. I had to make 3 splices in the fronts, and 6 splices in the rears. I bought rear vent window seals from 2 manufacturers and they were both wrong for stock fit. The ones from Dennis Carpenter are what I went with as they were the right shape, but the holes were in the wrong places, requiring 4 extra splices. I made cuts carefully & squarely with a thin razor, then carefully roughed it up with a 2" 80 grit disc, grinding toward the outside to help keep the edge nice. I used a glue called E6000. It is a clear, strong glue that can be found at craft stores. I wish it was black.
    The new window channel pads & weatherstrip I got seem quite flimsy & stuck together with tar. I dont have high hopes for them lasting well under daily use.

Jenkkiauto likes this.
  19. Hey Chris, good to hear you are still progressing. If retaining the window hardware is a concern you might try a few of the smallest pop rivets you can find in addition to the 3M weather strip adhesive. You may need to make an extension for the rivet gun to do the run channel. I have the parts and am pretty close to you if you want me to stop by and show you how I've done it.

Krahnic and Jenkkiauto like this.
  20. jkluge

jkluge

Definitely bags, you can lay rear bumper without cutting inner fender

21. Krahnic

Krahnic

Thanks! I already have all of the fuzzy weatherstrip hand stapled onto the inner windowsills like the factory, but much more difficult. I have not yet cut or re-shaped the stainless trim for the outer side windows which will also need fuzzy weatherstrip hand stapled on. I could use any advice on bending the stainless trim and making nice seams. Many Mercs I have seen use chrome plastic (gag) to make it easy. The trim I got isn't bonded together very well and when it has to be straightened and re-bent somewhere else or cut it is worse. It seems to fasten on fine. Stainless side window trim and headliner bows are my last steps of chopping the top. :) I have some 3/32" pop rivets i got to make my little 7" wiper arms with.

22. Krahnic

Krahnic

DSC_1201.jpg DSC_1202.jpg DSC_1199[1].jpg DSC_1200[1].jpg View attachment 3021071

All my glass in place! 4 functional roll-ups & 4 functional vent windows! All that is left now is re-shaping & installing stainless trim around the outside of the glass, then this roof chop is complete!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  23. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

Nice job flows very nicely!!! I just finished a 4 door 51 Merc!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444015022.637558.jpg

Krahnic likes this.
  24. Krahnic

Krahnic

Here are some picture of the whole car, daily driver again! She's a little dusty from a hunting trip & Idaho dirt roads. I still need to do the stainless trim around the glass. Maybe I have to do the headliner bows & headliner before I can consider this roof chop completely finished DSCF0430.JPG DSCF0432.JPG DSCF0433.JPG DSCF0434.JPG DSCF0435.JPG DSCF0436.JPG .

25. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

Killer job! That's a good looking car.

Krahnic likes this.
  26. desotot

desotot

Looking Good! 4 doors really benefit from a chop,it looks mean.

Krahnic likes this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

What a monumental task! Well done! Bag it and drive it like you built it!

Krahnic likes this.
  28. wicarnut

wicarnut

Lookin Good !

Krahnic likes this.
  29. Krahnic

Krahnic

Just to keep you all posted, Loretta is in the process of upgrading to a Magnuson M220 twin blower as well as narrowing the rear end 14", with 5" drop in the new frame rails. I will be building a custom Torsion Bar Rear Suspension with air bags that will handle the extra power and not interfere with floor DSCF0624.JPG DSCF0625.JPG DSCF0629.JPG DSCF0635.JPG pan & rear seat space. So far, Johnny Joints seem to be my best option for rear end links.

anthony myrick and kiwijeff like this.
  30. Wow Chris, you really jumped back in with both feet again. Looks cool. Who are you working with on that Hairy Old Olds?