Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original 60s Hot Rod video and build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by str8 6 str8 edge, Jul 12, 2015.

1. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

I'm rebuilding a Hot Rod for the original owner. He and and a friend made a super 8 movie of him and the car in the early 60's. This was his high school car that he eventually sold. The guy he sold it to took the car apart and many of the parts were lost over the years. It was headed for an 80s street Rod existence with an independent jag front end etc. but never got put together. Several years ago the original owner ,Dave, was able to buy the car back, and we are putting her back on the road. Here is the video.

2. Hard to believe with all the key ingredients present ... that the '80's would ever had the right to change all that flavor. Very good that the video exists to prove it. Nice car.

3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Very cool video, well done.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I liked the video..."Rocky" theme song...not so much

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats an awesome video!

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty bad ass high school build...very cool!

7. What a great video from 1962.

Dave was able to build a real nice hot rod and looks like it drove well.

Do you have any photos of the car in it's present state of restoration? HRP

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Neat car and an awesome film! I played Green Onions while watching it and it was much more enjoyable. Florida plates and Fletcher Ave. looks to be Tampa?

When the car is done, Dave should go back and replicate the video side by side like that guy did with the scenes in American Graffiti.

9. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Nicely documented piece of hot rod history. Thanks.

10. Agreed needed beach boys at the very least.

If you look really close there are speakers in the kick panels, there is something for the no radio in my hot rod guys to think about. :D

Slick old ride hope it makes it back to the '60s.

11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

anyone remember what the wheels were called or who made them?? I had a set on my 66 Chevelle & would like to find another set for my 60's inspired 40 Ford.

12. Slots. Slotted steel wheels chrome slots. Fenton made them as well as western wheel and no doubt a ton of other companies. the ones you want are fentons.

13. Here in the Sunny South we called them chrome window mags or slots.. HRP

14. There is a 40 chevy sedan in the classifieds now that has a full set on it. They are rusty and I'll bet they have been on there since the '60s or '70s at the latest. The car is tempting just because of the wheels. LOL

15. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

The Rocky theme was added by the people who converted the super 8 to video. Odd choice, but what do I know. Anyway the wheels are long gone but we are having a set made by John Phillips from Milwaukee, he advertises them here on the HAMB. The nailhead is also gone, Dave has a fresh 283 with a tri-power that we're putting in it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. That frame looks great,I know the owner is getting excited. HRP

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

They were called ASTRO`s around here. That film and car are awesome. Brings back great memories of how it was back then. Not many people took movies of their cars back then. Glad this guy did.

18. daddylama

daddylama

bitchin' video and really cool project..

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Really cool car and vid. It is great to see how many are finding their old builds and redoing them.

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Looking good !

21. YES, theme song aside that is a really cool video. I'm partial to the Nailhead, but the SBC looks great in there too.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No comment on the music. It's always a treat to see some of the old footage of hot roddings history. It looks like a very well built build. I'm sure the owner is glad to have it back and it looks like the redo is going great.