Register now to get rid of these ads!

y-block T5 conversion - a will, a mill and a way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobuckets, Aug 12, 2010.

1. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

I'd like to see @Cliffy 's install too - I traded my project off before I got the chance to install. Luckily the new owner didn't want my "old" engine, so it and the T5 are hanging out under the bench waiting for their turn.

2. Mark T

Mark T

What are you guys making your threaded slugs that get welded into the bell housing out of? Cold rolled steel?

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

For $160 on Ebay you can get an adapter from MDL

4. Mark T

Mark T

The adapter is for the car bell housing, I'm using the truck bell.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you haven't got a trans yet get the later 94 and up t5 or change inputs to the 7.85 inch unit for the truck bell. For use with the MDL adapter.

6. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Probably, it was a scrap out of the pile that was close to the right diameter.

7. Mark T

Mark T

I already have the truck bell and a late 80's Mustang world class T-5, I just need to modify the bell like the one pictured here.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

8. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436896755.908406.jpg

Just so happens I have my Trans out for a rebuild. Here is my setup installed in a 56 F100

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436896817.758357.jpg

As you can see I made a sleeve from the old input shaft retainer and used the factory throw out bearing

gas pumper likes this.
  9. Mark T

Mark T

Thanks for the pics Cliffy.

I did the same thing with my input shaft retainer, I just need to make the modifications to my bell housing.

10. I'm running into an issue with installing my new Trans. It's a ford racing tremec t5 where my old one was a Borg Warner out of a 90 stang. They upgraded the input retainer. I had to buy a bushing for the throughout bearing and hone it to fit. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444956809.832976.jpg
    The old one has a shorter collar so I couldn't use my old adapter sleeve (I cracked it trying to cut it down).
    This is the bushing I used for the bearing.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444956899.008321.jpg
    Now that I slid the Trans in, the longer collar is pushing the bearing against the pressure plate pretty hard. Maybe not hard enough to disengage the clutch but hard enough I don't like it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444956974.557316.jpg
    So do I cut down the input, space out my Trans or ?

11. 68KING

68KING
    from DOVER PA

Do you remember how much you cut off the length of the T5 bearing retainer for throw out bearing clearance?

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think something that would be helpful here would be if some of the interested parties would post pictures of their bellhousings with some dimensions. Maybe even some pics of the trans face and input shaft dims. Then there would be a reference for future swappers to see what they might need. :D

One suggestion I would make is to mount your housing on the engine and indicate the bore in the housing to see how much its off center. Then when you open the hole up to fit the T5, you can adjust it off center and true it up as you rebore it. Just remember you only move half the distance you are off center.

13. gatz

gatz

"After we had a plan of action, we set to work. First, we had to open up the locating hole to accept the T5 bearing retainer. The bellhousing got clamped down to the table and we located the center of the hole. It was a few thousandth's off, but we'll clean that up."
    [​IMG]

Just curious; how was the center of the hole offset determined ?
    Or, did you mean out-of-round ?

Great work, BTW