Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help me identify axle set up in my A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mogulmasher, Jul 7, 2015.

1. You've got some serious things to think about there. I'd have to say someone thru that chassis together with a bunch of parts that don't work together.

2. 2racer

2racer

crap like that will get you killed

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sorry for the shit storm, but after seeing that pic of the rear end of the frame, I'd give serious consideration to getting a nice stock Model A frame and begin at the beginning. That one you have looks like someone attempted to set it up for regular springs; how would you mount the top of a coilover in that "bucket"? I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's just not kosher. By the time you straightened that out, you could have the whole car built. But don't feel like the Lone Ranger- I drove down to the Cape to buy a frame a long time ago, and it turned out to be pretty awful. A lesson in hot rodding that cost a few hundred dollars, but I did learn something- bring a friend who's got some time in doing this. Keep the Faith- it'll work out OK.

4. mogulmasher

mogulmasher

Doesn't seem like it would be all too hard to convert it back to a transverse leaf set up would it?

It may take some time and a lot of thinking, but my friend that will be helping with the fabricating built this in his home shop without a jig. Sure after running it a few times a few things needed to be re-engineered but it really works. I think I have some talent on my side....and from what I have seen so far on here, a lot of knowledgeable HAMBers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    mike bowling likes this.
  5. I'm watching, welcome to the HAMB.

mogulmasher likes this.
  6. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's a lot of bending! (and a pretty neat rig!) Definitely the man to have in your corner. And the second part of your quote is good to keep in mind- the truth comes out when it finally gets driven. The usual factors that decide the direction of any project are Time, Money, and Quality. (project management 101).Known as the "Triple Constraints", if these aren't kept in "balance", as one increases, two decrease. ( Thanks to Professor Kaplan, NECC, Haverhill). Decide how to get the most bang for your buck in layman's terms. ( and as stated before, my first move would be get a different frame- without a solid foundation the project will suffer). As always, Good luck .

7. Fucking jesus. Get a stock frame, keep the front end stuff and replicate what i've done, and scrap that pos chassis.

2racer likes this.
  8. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my .02 A model A frame around here goes between $200 and $400 so it would be a better bet to scrap what you have and start over. Candia is one place you may be able to find a good frame and if you ask around it is a sure bet you could find a decent frame.

9. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just looked on Craigslist and there are 4 A frames listed from $150 to $300 the best looking is $250 in Tewksbury don't cheap out on the foundation or you will end up regretting it I know.

mogulmasher likes this.
  10. mogulmasher

mogulmasher

Wow, dude tell me how ya really feel. Easy on the newb, message received loud and clear. Guess I got some shopping/planning to do. Gonna have to wait a few months though since I just wrote a check to the orthodontist yesterday for $2k+ for my 9 yr old daughter.......oh well priorities.

Thanks for keeping me safe guys....back to the drawing board.

11. Absolutely gonna tell you. That thing is completely unsafe and as a "newb" you're better off being told it straight up so you can move onto finding a nice stock chassis and build up from that instead of wasting time and money on the current abortion you've got going on.

We are totally behind you on this and all happy to help. So don't think I'm being a hard ass. Just setting you on a much better path.

Also as for having to wait a few months because of other financial matters, we all know the feeling. I left my trade to pursue a university degree and have no money to spend on my roadster at all. I've been plotting away on it for like 6 years now. It all takes time.

mogulmasher likes this.
  12. mogulmasher

mogulmasher

Thanks Nick. Everybody on this site has been really cool and helpful, seems like a tightknit bunch as well. I literally just got off the phone with my fabricating buddy after talking for the last 1.5 hours and got a new game plan and starting over. I didn't spend a whole lot on it and will be keeping front suspension, body, rear axle, couple different grille shells and other associated parts anyways. He's got another rock buggy in the shop right now til about October then work begins on my roadster. Will keep you all posted.

28A likes this.