Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical bb chevy, solid lifter with stamped rockers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigvinny, Jul 13, 2015.

1. bigvinny

bigvinny

putting 454 in my 55 bel air , going with solid lifter cam, I want to use stock bb valve covers and was going to use Chevrolet High performance Rocker Arms (long slot stamped non roller) , for valve cover clearance. would this be OK? thinking I should up grade to polly locks for periodic valve adjustment. thinking self locking nuts would wear on stud threads, would this be a problem. I know the factory musclecar solid lifter motors had stamped rockers.

2. noboD

noboD

Ask Squirrel. I'm sure there's a lot of new technology that's better, but thousands were built like you suggested.

3. bigvinny

bigvinny

not looking for drag strip terror just a strong street car . as long as it functions good>

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Yup...should be fine...that's the way GM did it.

5. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

If you set the lash and drive it.. Use the factory type self locking nuts.. If you want to race it and fool with the valve train,,,,,Poly-locks.. Big lift cams (over .640") with aftermkt springs, use roller rockers..

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

From a lot of BB experience, Shit Can the stamped Rockers and buy a set of Roller Rockers.
    I bought a set of the Stainless Steel ones from a vendor at the Syracuse Nationals some years ago
    because I kept braking the Stamped Steel O.E. Rockers. My valve lift is .510. just got home from
    a cruise night and the BBC ran like an Animal. Save your self time and aggrivation.

Just my .02 for a lifelong BBC Guy.

P.S. - I believe that Speedway sells the Stainless Steel Roller Rockers (like the ones that I have)
    for approximately $ 239.00.

VR&C.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I was looking for polylocks to use with stock rockers, and didn't find them...but I might have been looking in the wrong place. I have learned that buying new studs really helps keep the stock lock nuts tight, because the threads aren't worn out.

On my 9 second chevy II I have Comp roller tip, ball pivot rockers, with stock crimp locknuts, on new ARP studs. Fits under stock covers. Hydraulic roller with .585ish lift. Double valve spring with about 350 lbs open.

It mostly depends on how much lift you have and how much valve spring, whether you need more better rockers.

8. LTM75110

LTM75110

I run them on my 427 in my Nova,30 + years haven`t had any trouble yet,My lift is a little over 600".,Mine is an L-88 crate engine.I`m running the 7/16" pushrods also.and I like the stock valve covers,too.

9. I had stamped rockers, screw in studs and polylocks on the big block in my stock car, it was a claimer class and I ran an L88 cam. It worked fine.