Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc measurements

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EyeballJohn, Jul 11, 2015.

1. EyeballJohn

EyeballJohn

Hi, finally had time to work on my 50 merc, been collecting parts for about 3 years now, picked up new full rockers, new lower quarters, and doing metal work on the doors, this was an eBay project I picked up I guess I should have looked at it better when I bought it, anyway for the price it wasn't bad, it's a 2 door coupe mounted on a late model GM chassis with floor pan, the guy did a half butt job on the cutting and braces, and he channeled the body way to far down over the chassis, I raised it up about 3 inches but still not sure this is enough, I want to use an air bag set up on it so not sure if I should bring it all the way up to correct height, now that I started putting it together it's so far gone that nothing is lining up and I don't have much to go by, so I'm hoping someone out there who has a 49 -51 merc could give me some measurements or tell me where to get them, I need measurements from across the floor door post to door post , front and in back of doors across where quarter panel jamb is, and even though I have new rockers to go by I could use a measurement from inner door post front to back post, this hopefully would get me started, Thanks ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436628107.935638.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like the Dick Dean style '81 Olds Delta frame and floorpan trick. Huge fan of Dick Dean, but not those chassis swaps.

My advise is to check the front track width as the Olds donor chassis were way too wide in the front. If the track is too wide, you will have to run goofy back space wheels and open up your wheelwells. Check that first, if the width is good, then start on the body.

The best way to square up a Merc body is to rebuild the door hinges first. Merc hinges are non-adjustable and you kind of have to fit the body to the doors. Once the hinges are perfect, then you can mount the doors and see if they fit in the door openings. If not, you have to move the rest of the body around to make them fit. If they fit and line up top to bottom, front to back with the rear quarters, then odds are the cowl is OK too, but the only way to know for sure is to hang some front fenders.

Hopefully, someone will come along with the measurements you need, but be prepared for them to be not so dead nuts with what you have.

Remember, the relationship between the hinges on the cowl determine where the doors are going to be and the whole shiteree has to conform to that.

Good luck, -Abone.

PS. Your Merc looks eerily similar to mine when I drug it home.

[​IMG]

But it turned out OK.

[​IMG]

3. EyeballJohn

EyeballJohn

Thanks Abone, our cars do look alike, I guess at one time, your Merc Looks Fantastic, so I guess there's Hope for mine, I hung the doors and latched them in and welded the front hinge pillar but there is so much rot everywhere and there is a gap in the floor that I just wanted to make sure of my measurements before I went any further,

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!