Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods old school hotrod 1947 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31ACoupe, Jul 13, 2015.

1. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

i wanted to build an old school hotrod. the paint is hotrod black and it is flat but shiny in the pic due to recent rain. it has a 59ab flathead with 2x2 fenton intake with 97's...4" merc crank....fenton heads and fenton headers with smittys. basically a cheap build but it looks nice and sounds great and the motor is pretty strong. electric fuel pump because of the heat in s.d. and vapor locking with stock f.pumps. i found bucket seats out of a hyundai sante fe and they fit perfectly front and back. lots of fun to drive and i don't have to worry about scratching the paint. 47ford 003.JPG

B Bay Barn and Hdonlybob like this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Threads like this can be touchy. So I'll be honest.
    Firstly I really like the car. I would be proud to own it.
    This is what I'm not too crazy about.
    the visor
    the wheels
    the red stripes especially on the fenders
    the head lights
    the mirror
    the spotlight

56don and 302GMC like this.
  3. ^^^^Tough crowd^^^ Yeah, I can see it's a bit of a mix but, it's his and he's driving it and that says a bunch.

volvobrynk and olcurmdgeon like this.
  4. I think it looks great.. drive the hell out of it.

5. Tidy it up and drive it

6. It works for me. I don't get the "don't have to worry about scratching the paint" deal. All paint scratches and its just a cop out, if you like flat you like flat you don't need any excuses.

The main thing is that you drive it and enjoy it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm not as picky as F-One ;)

Throw a set of steelies on it with some cool oddball hubcaps , lose the headlights , then call it done . Then drive the hell out of it !!

I'd keep my eyes peeled for a set of stock seats too , but that's just me :) .

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

i built my first ride in 1957 when i was in high school. it was a tank, a 42 studebaker and i had zero money to spend on it so i used what was available. it was a monster in the flying mile but took forever to get up to speed. my point is i build something i like using what is available. the hyundai seats cost me 75.00 front and back and i installed them myself. they do the job. i would rather have leather rolled and pleated but the best price i got on that was 2500.00 and i didn't have the money. i live in s.dakota and the visor serves a purpose, i found it in the trunk of a car in nebraska and paid 50.00 for it. the blue dot headlight things are for my grandson who told me they need to go on the car because they look rad. i go to a lot of car shows and watch guys come close to having a stroke because someone touches or leans on their 6,000.00 paint job so i went hotrod black for 100.00 and if someone wants to sit on my fender or lean on my car thats cool with me and it is easy to touch up. i don't have to worry about paint scratches and if that is difficult for someone to grasp then i don't know what to say about that decision. the car needs modern shocks, steering help, and the normal detailing but in the meantime i enjoy it very much and drive it every day. i have had a number of offers to buy it but plan on keeping it as i like the way it looks. the slots are old school which i like also, i have the original rims but prefer the slots. thanks to all for your input, i really appreciate the comments and suggestions.

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Hey we all have different tastes and they change as the years go by. My very first hot rod was a '47 Ford tudor. No front bumper, grille opening filled with flattened '62 Falcon grille mesh, no hood, 283 with dual quads, raked with 8:20 15s on the back on '58 Imperial rims (the ones with the holes) and VW 15 rubber on the front on stock Ford rims. Something I would have today, some half century later? No, but back then I was damn proud. My boss at the Mobil Station stayed on my case and brakes were great, steering tight before he would sticker it. Twin glass packs with scavenger pipes under the rear axle.
    So 31A coupe, have fun, enjoy your ride. Half the point of a hot rod is to have something different, which the bellybutton arrest me red fiberglass crowd seems to miss somehow.

10. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I think it's cool that you are driving it. Mine is in the shop and likely will be for another year or more. My favorite local rod is a 36 Ford that was built in '74 for about 3 grand and has been driven every summer since. It has slots and an incomplete interior, runs a 305 and the paint is a bit faded. But he had had 40 years of enjoying his car, and couldn't care less that it won't " win" a show. That to me is way better than all of the guys with big buck cars that trailer them to a show, stress about everything being " authentic" to the point where it's too uncomfortable or impractical to drive ever and then they whine and cry if they don't get a trophy.
    Enjoy your car, I like what it represents, and there is no need to make apologies for any of it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I like it,you can tell this car has been around for a long time.

I actually like these old sedan,they have grown on me in recent years. HRP

12. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

PKap's post mentioning trailered cars reminds me the local Mopar dealer cruise night recently. I posted pics on the HAMB. Anyway dealer himself has a great looking Dodge 4 door, stunning in blue paint and chrome. Someone said "he can't drive that" and a buddy of the dealer said "yeah, he drove it to Charlotte MotorSpeedway". Another guy piped up and said "yeah, he drove it out of the trailer he brought it in from NH to the parking lot at the meet and into the infield"! You'll have tons for fun 31Acoupe, and stories to tell when you are as old as me, compared to that guy!!!

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like that you that you drive it, like the color, like the visor.
    Don't mind the mirror, don't mind the red strip (but ain't crazy about it), don't mind mag slots (but I would look for good steelies) and don't mind a photo of the interior!
    I don't like the head lights, but on the other hand you didn't build it to impress me.

You asked for it, you got it, and please take it for a drive before you return, because it's important to drive it a lot.
    My wife says; used it, or loose it.

But she also thinks I only own one car don't know nothing about my projects

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - some stuff I would change but, not in my garage. I am real good at spending other people's money and using up their time if you need more ideas.

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That'll be a nice Ford soon as you clean it up ....

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I am (71) years old and would be proud to own/drive that car..
    Others here are forgetting...Your car, Your choices, and Your "Spot" on in my opinion. :)

17. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

thanks for your imput guys.....i appreciate all of it and am wide open to comments.

18. ev88f

ev88f

I like it! Looks very similar to my friend's 46