Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. thunderplex

thunderplex

More Chrisman Comet pics. Maybe posted before... ??

Attached Files:

ec164 likes this.
  2. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

This was for sale at Back to the 50's this past weekend. 10k

Attached Files:

3. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

That looks like a great deal. Any more info on it, or the contact info? PM me Thanks John

4. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I can't make out the complete phone number in window

5. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

6. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Just put this in my 65.

Attached Files:

loudbang and Maverick Daddy like this.
  7. FuelComet

FuelComet

8. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Thanks guys......John

9. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

As promised here is a picture of Jack Chrisman and his Comet. He sent this to me in about 1973 when I inquired about any parts he might have for his old race car. Somewhere I have a letter he sent to me listing the parts he had at the time. The list would make you drool today!
    I will look for the letter and post a copy here.
    The picture is hanging on the wall of my shop so I just took a photo of it with my iPad.
    Note the wheels, he changed them constantly, every picture of the car I have seen they are different brands, styles.
    Jim image.jpg image.jpg

10. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Well I went through my files and found the letter from Jack Christman. Here is a picture of it, Can you imagine if the parts he mentions were available today? ( at least the fiberglass parts) Being the letter is now 39 years old I am sure some of you were not even on earth when he sent it to me. Yea, I have been in this for quite a while, I have owned my '64 for 47 years!
    Jim image.jpg k

11. That's really cool. When my dad was restoring the 65' car in 83' Jack sent him the original bellhousing and direct drive unit to the car. My dad opted to run a lakewood with the direct drive unit because the bellhousing is aluminum. He still has the original one that will eventually go back in the car someday

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Owning my COMET [bought in Spring of 1967] has really opened doors for me!!I met Jack's wife at a Pomona Good Guys race many years ago,had a nice long visit with her,then in 2006 got to meet Jim Barillaro at Dick Brannan's All Ford Show in Phoenix,Arizona!Been many other times that I met people thru my COMET!!! ROY.

zombie289, loudbang and ec164 like this.
  13. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Anybody going to meltdown drags ??
    Was thinking about taking my 65 Afx comet ( in unrestored condition ) .... if I can get off work that is .
    Hamps

powrshftr likes this.
  14. Where's Dale and his Rosedale Rocket been? Used to be a regular then nothing. Just wondering is all.

BigMike

15. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Are you bringing it in "as found" condition with no engine or trans?

16. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Correct , if I get the time off
    Hamps

17. loudbang

loudbang

I think Roy has been dumped into the trunk of one of the Mercury Mafia guys car he has been among the missing lately. :eek:

1947knuck likes this.
  18. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale and his 64 Comet are getting a new engine,Comet was in England for quite some time!! My 65 Comet is having Jerico issues,Jerico is NO HELP!!!!I keep breaking the 3-4 shift finger [goes through case,tying the shift fork to the shift arm],have broken two Jerico made units,then broke a custom made,billet finger on its fourth pass!!!Going to a NEW LONG shifter and another billet finger made by a different machinist! ROY.

zombie289 likes this.
  19. Muttley

Muttley

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Please make the time to get to the Meltdown.....We'd all love to say hello and see the car,and you will have the time of your life!:)

Scott

21. New slicks are mounted and loaded on the trailer. Headed to get the front end aligned. Thanks Roy for the set up info. I missed the first weekend of racing but this weekend is race 3 and 4. Hopefully the changes show an improved ET.
    Roger

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;I hope it all goes well!!!! Let us know,good or bad!!!! ROY.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

is your car a stick? Do they clear the clutch linkage?

24. 65COMET

65COMET

There seems to be a serious quality control issue with Crites Headers.Had one set fit OK,the next set,same part#,took some massaging of 6 out of 8 tubes to fit!!!!SBF in a 65 Falcon,full Crites kit,LONG story on why we needed another set!!!!!! ROY.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

what did they need in the way of massaging, and what heads on both cars? are we talking some dings, or relocated tubes, or somewhere in between?

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Same car,same engine,reason for set #2,he lost his first set!!!!!!! Sooooooo.,he ordered a new set,same part#!! What I had to do was dimple 6 of 8 tubes by the head flange,the hole centers were too wide,then oval the holes! #4 and #8 tubes hit the firewall before they could fit into the collector,had to rebuild those two,tube lengths were all different,some by over 20 inches!!Shock towers are notched so we had no interference there!Kinda mute point now,car has sat for over 5 YEARS!! ROY.

27. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

The headers fit great around everything except the oil filter. I ended up cutting the tube and making it fit.

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Why is everyone using the Crites headers? Doesn't anyone else make these headers? Are we talking about the 289 engine? Just wondering.....

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Crites makes headers for their swap kits,so I guess that is one reason,I'm not fond of them!I make my own,buy a bunch of bends,flange kit and slip on collectors,then start cutting and fitting!!!I do my own because I got burned by an "expert' so I made my first equal length set,on my third set now,not that hard,just takes time!! ROY.

loudbang likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

whoh. so the second set set wasn't even close to the first set...WTF. Thanks for the response.
    For the guy who asked why guys use the crites headers its because they are 1 3/4 primaries. If you have to ask why guys want 1 3/4 primaries, maybe someone else will enter into that pissing match, but it wont be me...I already caused severe emotional trauma by mentioning I run 4.56s in my daily, so I have used up my quota for the day...;):D