Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. ...I've run lots of 230 & 250 Chevy sixes in my old trucks/cars;...when I put one in this 48 F-1 my nephew said "you just made it bulletproof"...it's not purty so I won't even show it but I love them inline sixes.
    48 f4 hazelhurst 007.jpg

6narow likes this.
  2. 6narow

6narow

All I see on the outside is the truck's lowered a little (spring under?) and different wheels and tires but what a difference it makes.
    Nice stance.

6narow

3. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I gotta 292 with a camaro V8 T5 going in my 47 Mercury project. It's a tight squeeze!

Attached Files:

4. 6narow

6narow

Jamcoupe,
    Did you chrome a stock intake?

6narow

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Kaiser used the Continental 226 also and with the McCulloch supercharger it made 140 hp. It would probably do the same for a Ford or Mopar engine.

HotRodTractor and 6narow like this.
  6. 6narow

6narow

Thanks for pickin' that up for me, six ball.
    Right after I made that post and clicked outta this site, I was like, "....wait a minute....".
    :D
    The principal of my Jr. High had a supercharged Kaiser and a Jeep Commando.
    Drove that Kaiser almost every day.
    Man that was a sexy beast.

6narow

7. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

6narow A 235 that I had purchased picked up already this stock chromed intake already on it. After I got my 292 I realized it was the same intake and swapped it over. I sure hope the chrome holds up.

6narow likes this.
  8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

How do you adapt a 235 intake to a 292 is there a adapter from round ports to rectangular ports?

9. 6narow

6narow

10. Adapting the ports would be easy enough it is port spacing that would be the problem. The 292 is a longer engine, I think

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

He probably had a 230 or 250 and not a 235. It is not a 235 manifold. Sometimes fingers hit the wrong key.:eek:

12. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Sorry maybe the other engine was a 230 or 250 as mentioned.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Having never made a mistake I...............:D

14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If we did not make mistakes we would not get anything done

15. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

16. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I'm running a 1970 inline Ford 300 in my T-bucket....I like it! I got a 67' Ford Mustang C4 tranny....for my simple cruising around it is nice....It's a simple set-up, but I didn't want to get too sophisticated with the little bucket...just a fun summer car.....I've got a clifford header, but haven't put it on yet...little one-barrel carb moves it around with no hassles=====I think if I was younger, I'd want more speed and gusto, but heck....it's about little pleasures to me anymore, and I still get friendly waves.....I have nothing but good things to say about my inline ford setup...it's pretty hassle-free;)

chessterd5 likes this.
  17. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436754672.359157.jpg

Here is my Plymouth 217 block punch out 100 overbite with 230 crank, rods and Flywheel. edgy head and cam. Running Langdon HEI, Edmund Intake with a pair of Carter Webbers and Fenton exhaust. 9" Currie out back of a 52 Desito OD.

18. Pictures or it isn't real!!! :eek:;):rolleyes:

19. Twisted6

Twisted6

That looks like 1 Sweet Ride.

20. mrdodge

mrdodge

Just spent a couple of hours going through this thread. Always loved my six cylinders & have had a hankering for a Mopar flatty 6 in a Model A. Have just picked up a 28 Model A roadster pickup with a turbo'd 4 banger & Thomas alloy head. Got a 53 Dodge truck motor out of a 53 Dodge panel van imported to NZ about 6 years from San Diego (an ex HAMBers vehicle I believe). Have got an Edgerton head, side covers, & twin carb manifold for it. The Dodge motor is a 23 incher but would like to know if anyone has done this without moving the radiator forward or recessing the firewall too much. I'm 6' 4'' so leg room is an issue. Looking for ideas on a suitable gearbox as well. Running a NZ built speedway quickchange (Halibrand copy) with a tall final drive. All thoughts appreciated. imagejpeg_2(1).jpg Model AC.jpg Model A1.jpg

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, 6narow and 2 others like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I can not answer your questions but I love your idea. That is a sweet car just as it is. I saw Edgerton's truck a Bonneville what a cool looking engine. I have a 413 CI Dodge flathead six and it would not fit in a Model A. maybe the bed.

22. 6narow

6narow

Nice ride, Mr.Dodge!
    What I am noticing is the shaft for the fan seems unusually long.
    Seems like there might be enough room for the six without mods.
    What do your measurements say?
    As for a tranny, you could run an A833. That's the 4 speed overdrive trans that Chrysler used for years.
    Gearing is spaced like a 3 speed and 4th features 27% of overdrive.
    If you like the gearing your car has now, you can simply divide the axle ratio by the overdrive and that will give you the new ratio you'd need to run.
    So, for instance, if your drive axle features a 2.7:1 gear ratio, you'd simply divide 2.7 (axle ratio) by .73 (4th gear ratio) and you'd end up with a number just on the high side of 3.7.
    Thus you'd change the axle ratio to 3.70:1.
    ...otherwise, nothing wrong with a T-10. =)

6narow

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  23. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello mrdodge, check out a thread here on the HAMB called " Cheap A$$ '34 pick up". He's basicly doing the same thing with a 218 dodge six I think but into a '34. I believe he talked about radiator clearance as well. nice looking rpu by the way.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Just as a frame of reference, here's a homebuilt RPU I made using Model A fenders and a mildly built Ford 300 in front of a homemade body. I use the stock fan and pump. I am 6'6" and use a 2.47 rear gear. Best e.t. 11.61.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  25. mrdodge

mrdodge

Thanks for your responses guys
    Six Ball - Yes, earls truck is very cool. The 413 wouldn't fit in the tray, let alone the engine bay !!!
    6narow - There is enough room, as long as I don't want to run a fan...or a waterpump !! A833 are few & far between in this neck of the woods, not to mention pricey. T10 & S10 t5's are available but nothing under about NZ$1200 and this is a budget build. I'll just keep hunting.
    Thanks chesster d5, I have been following dumprats build. Its cool
    Plan at this stage is to drive this thing over summer & mock up my other A chassis with stock firewall, radiator and engine to see what will/won't work. Any time saved will be a good thing though

26. Gofannon

Gofannon

Here you go, MrDodge. I don't know who's this is, pics were saved off the HAMB years ago. I don't know how much difference in length between a Ford 6 and your Dodge, can't be significant.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

MO54Frank, Bigcheese327 and mrdodge like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

For my roadster I will use a Borg Warner T-86 3 speed OD from a Studebaker. I am adapting the top shifter from a T-90 from a Jeep. ( a little grinding on the shift forks) They are good for up to 200 HP maybe a bit more. T-86s were aced in Fords, maybe MOPARs too.

28. Tjames

Tjames

1960 Ford f100

29. 6narow

6narow

Boy, you sure don't make this easy! ( ;) )
    Tranny - might have to start looking at whatever's available in NZ. I would think any Dodge tranny would fit.
    Engine - You say the engine will fit if you leave off the waterpump and fan. Fair enough, ever heard of "thermosiphon"? model T's ran this way. Engine heats the water and the natural reaction of heat rising sends it up and into the radiator.
    While your engine doesn't sit as low, in relation to the top of the radiator, as the old T engine was, you could augment this action with an electric fan or two.
    One problem might be fitting the fans. They'd likely have to sit on the front and that might be unsightly.
    Otherwise, the only thing I can thing of is cutting the frame and adding in extensions, so the engine can fit.
    This reminds of a guy from down your way...kinda (I know, Oz, but its for a good cause), who dropped a GMC 702 V12 into a '32 Ford. Stretching out the frame was how he made it fit.
    "Rod Bods Downunder" sound familiar?
    Here's the HAMB thread he posted - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rod-bods-downunder-v12-702cin-32-coupe.312768/

30. mrdodge

mrdodge

Anything worth doing is never easy!! I've seen the thread on Rod Bods, pretty cool. It may be that I end up with a combo of recessed firewall AND push the radiator forward. I like the proportions the car has now so really want to retain them if I can. All good ideas though. :D