Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Perforating your naugahyde

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tbird, Jul 8, 2015.

1. 36tbird

36tbird

Just got my door panels for my '36 back from the upholsterer. The tweeters are mounted in the doors and I had the holes over them in the door panels covered over with the skin of the naugha. I want to perforate the hyde that covers the tweeters. Anyone got a good technique for this? Do I need a small diameter punch or does a hot poker work?

Model T1 likes this.
  2. I was looking for something to do the job and keep it clean and neat,my wife suggested Hobby Lobby that has a small multi head hole punch,,it worked great.

It's even strong enough to punch a hole in a peanut butter jar lid.
    HRP

[​IMG]

3. Model T1

Model T1

Why would anyone want to punch a hole in a peanut butter jar lid? Now all the oil will leak out.

4. Not if you keep it upright.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

22 Long Rifle, don't use hollowpoints, they make the hole too big.

da34guy and 51 BIRD like this.
  6. You really dont need holes in the vinyl...sound will still come thru......I've done many without the holes(that also catch dust)

dana barlow likes this.
  7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

^ this. But if you should want to do what hrp suggests. Personally I would have done it before finishing the panel. It takes a good bit of work to lay out and punch a nice pattern

beachbum jim likes this.
  8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've done it with a gasket punch set ..already had one In the shop.

9. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Tweeters behind vinyl without holes?! Sure it sounds good....
    Do a test, behind then infront, if you don't hear a difference your ears are shot and it won't matter.
    A million small holes may look better, but will take a million times longer.

51 BIRD likes this.
  10. 36tbird

36tbird

Thanks for the replies. I think HRP has the answer so I will be venturing out to the "Lobby of Hobbyists" this afternoon. I sure am glad that his post was not deleted or attacked with the "Made in China" credit clearly on display in his picture. I guess that the hole in the peanut butter jar distracted everyone.
    And, I have to punch the holes, IMO. Otherwise, no one will notice that have the damn tweeters there.;)

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Your auto upholstery guy didn't offer to perforate the speaker holes while he was doing the upholstery? I was under the impression that was a standard option from auto upholstery shops as they're equipped/tooled to do that portion of a job?

12. Tweeters should be heard, not seen! :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. I actually have the industrial equivalent of that in my tool box. Used for making gaskets but it would no doubt work on vinyl. LOL

The time to perforate is before the panel is done and mounted not after the fact. I did know a guy that took a tiny drill bit and did holes in buckets if his impala once, he had set in some euro seats and loved it so he wanted the same effect.

14. I perforated my nogga' hide with this really spicy cilantro habanero bean dip one time. It wasn't pretty. o_O

da34guy likes this.
  15. 36tbird

36tbird

Well, HRP sent me to HL where I found the punch kit for only $5+change. Here are pics of the result, which I think came out pretty darn good. As far as doing the punching before hand, the holes that I had cut out for the tweeters served to be good template guide. You can see the concentric circles and radii I drew inside of them to try and keep the punch holes to some sort of design and uniformity. I think that trying to specify the perforations to my upholsterers might have tested our language skills and understanding, if you get my meaning. But, I supplied the maroon and the door panels with the design marked on them and the bill came to $268, not counting the punch.

So, don't make fun of my design. The roadster is being built to look like an early '50's rod that is Folkstone Grey with Maroon scallops on the front. Big hole is for the midrange speaker and the grille over it will be painted grey. Obviously, I am going for a campy look reverse effect for the interior.

Attached Files:

16. Gotta admit, I like the tweeter hole layout! Good job! Not so sure about the gray midrange though, it's really gonna stand out like a sore thumb. But, it's only paint, try it and change later if you don't like it (personally, I'd match the beige, and make it disappear.) ;-)

Hnstray and turboroadster like this.
  17. Very good reason I did that,the high beam indicator lens was missing on my 54 Wagon instrument panel,the small red plastic button I punched out of the top of a peanut butter lid worked perfectly,and was free.

In retrospect,I should have posted this photo.

[​IMG]

This is a photo of holes in the vinyl on the passenger side kick panel. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Model T1 likes this.
  18. 36tbird

36tbird

Blown, pic taken in the bright sunshine washed out the color to where it looks beige. The grey 'naga I used matches the Folkstone grey well.
    HRP, look at the fun and controversy you incited by posting the P'nut butter jar lid. Now, you have gone and cleared up the mystery. Job looks good. Thanks again for suggesting the punch from H.L.

19. Well, that makes perfect sense then! My camera does that to me sometimes as well, but yeah, that panel looked really beige when I looked at it! :D

HRP,

Really good tip on the punch set, gonna go by Hobby Lobby later today to pick one up!

20. speaker perforations on my '51's rear quarters
    [​IMG]
    the upholstery shop did not have the punch, but ordered it for me.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Buy a small piece of perforated sheetmetal and with a sharpie mark the pattern and either use those marks to hand punch or leave the metal on and punch thru with a sharpend piece of tubeing.

The most common way to punch a hole in naugahyde is the forgotten screwdriver in the back pocket

dudley32 likes this.
  22. 36tbird

36tbird

I worried that this would be a really "stupid question" thread when I started it, but some fun answers and pics of neat work came out here. Thanks all.

Model T1 likes this.
  23. No stupid questions,especially when they relate to DIY projects on hot rods and customs. HRP