Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods looking at ideas for battery box door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J&JHotrods, Jul 9, 2015.

1. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Hey all. I built a battery box for my dad's '57 chevy two door wagon concealed in the rear inner quarter and I'm looking for some ideas on attaching the door. Originally planned on using dzus fasteners but the old man wants to play the "where's the battery?" game, which i think could be pretty cool. Entertaining the idea of a magnetic push latch but all I can come up with is drawer push latches and they're not as robust as I'd like. I have some strong bolt in magnets to use but I'm scraping the bottom of the 'idea barrel'. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. 69fury

69fury

You mean magnetic push latches for those glass cabinets for a home stereo? Heck a fella could use 4 of them- one on each corner-the panel would have no hinge and just pop up off the surface to be plucked away. People would only see a seam and not realize what it does. If carpeted-no seam. -rick

3. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Exactly the idea he had in mind Rick. I thought we were going to paint the inner wheel houses and call it good, he has the idea of carpeting up to the trim just below the rear quarter windows so that all would be visible is a small, tight carpet seam on the door. I mounted some of those latches already and IMO I can't see them holding tight enough going over a pothole or a hard launch. Been researching marine latches for boats but so far-nada.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

4 of them id bet will hold that sucker pretty solid.

5. 55Brodie

55Brodie

J&JHotrods likes this.
  6. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Cool, thanks 55Brodie. I'll look into those tonight after work, might be just what I'm looking for!

7. Budget36

Budget36

Velcro strips?

8. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

...........or you could put some spring loaded hinges like on a gas filler access door or license plate flip access hinges.

J&JHotrods likes this.
  10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

look at cabinet latches used on boats. Latch is hidden and only requires a hole large enough for your finger to release.

J&JHotrods likes this.
  11. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Yes, low budget and paul55, good idea. Spring loaded at the top perhaps and some sort of marine-push latch on the bottom...now we're getting somewhere. That gives me a direction to move towards, thanks guys. Open for more suggestions, keep 'em coming and thanks!