Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting 1929 model a drums to disc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lt29modela, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Lt29modela

Lt29modela

image.jpg I have a 1929 model a and I'm not sure what axel or spindles it has. Is there a way to tell. It has hydraulic drum brakes and a 2 leaf front suspension. Please help if you can image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That is not a Model A setup. That looks like a Chevy setup to me. The frame and suspension do not look Ford to me either but it is difficult for me to tell from the pictures. Your cowl is not a 1929 Ford cowl either. What it looks like to me is a 1929 Chevrolet that might have 1929 Ford style belt line mated to it in the doors.

Folks on here will tend to urge you away from disk brakes on an open wheel car, but if you MUST, there are conversion kits on the market. You may be looking for a kit for '49-'54 Chevy-style spindles"

3. I agree,I don't think the frame is even a Ford. HRP

patmanta and dana barlow like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a 1929 Chevrolet.

patmanta and dana barlow like this.

5. Lt29modela

Lt29modela

In regards to that would it have the rumple spring in the rear over the axle and also how could I be sure that it is a 1929 Chevy?

6. I am not sure what a rumple spring is but if you are talking cross leaf then no not originally. I can't stick my head under there to see if yours does but you can and yes it could have been swapped in any time.

The front suspension is either chevy or dodge or Pontiac or oldsmobile. Most likely Chevy, you can look for marking on the backing plates that would give you a clue as to who made them.

As for the car itself better overall pics would help us to guess what it is or you may get lucky and find a tag on the body somewhere.

Those headlights look like converted model Ts and the stands are cast '60s units maybe eelco or moon. Some states had a headlight height rule and they made those stands tall to get around the rule.

7. Lt29modela

Lt29modela

Thanks for the help, this is my first build and have very little knowledge on them. I will post a bunch of pictures and all the help I can get would be very helpful. I've seen this car sit for the last 15 years, so I rebuilt the motor and my plan is to make a rat rod out of it but I was basing everything off of a model a but was coming up short on finding parts that match the set up, thanks for any advice and information that can be given to me

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you are building a Rat Rod, you are on the wrong forum. I suggest that you do more research on what you've got and look at the Traditional Hot Rod builds here on the HAMB before you commit to anything on this build.

9. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

And additionally, you're posting this in the custom forum. Try the hot rod forum.

10. LOL actually it shows up on the main forum which is how I found it. I seldom go to the trad custom or trad hot rod forum directly.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with building a non-Model A hot rod.

You will, however, not at all be welcome on this board should you build a rat rod.

That said, there is only one Ford part that I see on what you have there, and that is the novelty license plate screwed to the front bumper.

Look on the firewall for something that looks like this (or evidence that one was there):
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  12. Gimp don't ya think those headlights are Ford? I mean I wouldn't know if they weren't but you catch stuff that I miss all the time.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe. I am not certain. A lot of stuff in the Automobile Brass Era looked very similar.

Photos that I have looked at of Model T headlights show them with the side mount lugs riveted on, not soldered, and with a reverse-stamped Ford script on the top.

14. Well there ya go. neat lights, they remind me of a late '60s fad type T though.