Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAMBERS! WHO OUT THERE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE YOUR HOTROD , STATE INSPECTED?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, Jul 8, 2015.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nowhere to surf.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. stimpy

stimpy

actually our pollution tests are a plug in test , OBDII thats why it starts MY 1996 as it simplifies the testing ( no I/M ) , not to many pre 1996 cars on the road as they didn't last that long engine wise or people got sick of trying to repair them . most of the pre 96 s I see are f bodys , moostangs and trucks , and a few of the oddballs

3. stimpy

stimpy

we have the largest inland lakes ( yes you can surf on the great lakes when the winds kick up 6-10 foot swells , and some guys do it in the faster moving rivers ( they tie a rope across the river and hang on ) , but we waterski instead . no searching for a short lived wave either ... ( and yes you still get covered by weeds too )

4. Thanks for all the replies fellow HAMBERS!! Very interesting stuff ! I got my inspection done, all good, and excellent. I do however put some street stuff on the car, not what I have on it when I drag race.;):D

flux capacitor likes this.
  5. Aviator

Aviator

MS no safety inspection as law changed effective 1 July 2015

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Pa inspections are a lot easier than they used to be,

7. Here in Rhode Island, no inspection for cars registered as "Antique" but it is very limited as to when you can drive..........every thing else must be inspected at a cost of $52

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  8. Our state inspection law was repealed in the 80s because of massive corruption. If you knew the right guy, it was possible to just buy a state inspection sticker. Also, some guys were breaking into cars and scraping the valid stickers off the windshields and selling them....some inspectors were being bribed to pass the car...it was a huge mess so the state just simply discontinued it altogether.

Fortress and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. New Hampshire I have mine registered as an antique. No limitations on when you can drive it. We have a state inspection in April every two years. We can bring it to a local garage for the inspection. No emissions test required.

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

TFoch, yes in NH there are antique plates but if you read the law they are for "antique" vehicles which are over 25 years old, not modified vehicles with late model engines and/or drivetrains or cars that have major body modifications. And yes you get inspected every other year and the plates are cheap. Yeah, I know "everyone does it" but you are running the risk of issues in case of an accident if they want to dig into things. The other day I saw an early Chevy II with a blown 454 hanging out of the hood with antique plates.
    Then we have the NH street rod plates. Requires DOT certification car is pre-1949, but can be fiberglass replica. Extra charge like vanity plates but makes running without fenders legal. There is an inspection requirement every year in April and the criteria is the NSRA 23 point safety list, which includes things like neutral safety switch and emergency brakes among others.
    For the custom car people NH just put in some kind of "custom car windshield sticker". I have yet to see one but know the guy who was pushing for this. Supposedly covers post-1948 custom cars with chops, roll pans, no bumpers, lowered, etc which up to this point would fail an honest regular inspection due to ride height, lack of bumpers, or blue dot tailights.
    In my case I run normal passenger car plates. I get my ride inspected by a garage run by a guy that was the crew chief on Dick Batchelder's super modified. He is a stickler, pulls the wheels, checks everything. Every spring I have that added assurance of him double checking things. As some posters have said, there is some real junk out there under the guise of being a hot rod and there are "lick 'em and stick 'em" inspection stations.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. RAK

RAK

Here in Alabama there isn't any state safety inspection and/or emissions. I understand that the larger cities have emissions inspections but since I don't live near one I don't have any idea what the criteria for that is. I grew up in NJ and remember the state run inspection stations up there and how hard it was to get your older modified car through it once a year, the inspectors seemed to enjoy rejecting kid's cars but I have to admit that in my case it was usually justified.

12. mystic122468

mystic122468

I'm in PA too, inspections are just a way of life. The trick is to find someone that you trust and that is a car guy, they have the most respect for our toys!
    My problem is with PENDOT..... It's been 8 weeks of dealing with them to get all of the paperwork and tags right for my T-Bucket!

13. Welcome mystic. And yes PENDOT can make you tear your hair out sometimes. I have heard lots of horror stories over the years.

14. I never had my rods inspected (except the NSRA inspection sticker) and now after July 1st, the safety sticker is no more for newer cars. And that's all it was, just a sticker. You pay the 5 bucks and they go out and slap a sticker on your car and that's it.

15. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

No annual inspection in Ontario. All licensed vehicles must pass a safety inspection by a provincially certified shop before transfer of ownership.

16. crazyblindjoe

crazyblindjoe

i have three --all pa inspected-- 1 with streetrod plates and a reissued vin number---they cancelled
    my 32 title with an 18 number--the other two have regular plates and insurance on them--no problems!

17. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I know someone in PA. running a streetrod with antique plates. State police came to his garage and confiscated his antique plate. One year at the York NSRA, state police were nailing anyone with a modified car with antique plates. Street rod plate in PA. is not difficult to acquire, I run SR plate and don't mind the inspection.

18. Missouri has a safety inspection, it happens every time you renew your tags. I run 2 year tags now so that I don't have to fiddle with it every year.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what a pain in the ass "safety inspections" must be. it is bad enough here in California with the bi-annual smog inspection. it just cost me $500.00 to figure out why my 20 year old GMC would not pass smog. never again, as I will be registering it in another county where there are no smog tests. not all of California has the tests. many rural areas are exempt.

20. It was mandatory here in South Carolina to have a yearly inspection at almost any service station but it was phased out years ago, it got to be somewhat of a joke,some of the stations would just sell the sticker to people who knew their car wouldn't pass but didn't care. HRP

[​IMG]

21. it is a racket here in Missouri. It is done at garages and service stations and they can only legally charge you 7.50 for it. If it is done right it takes 4 hours (if you go by flat rate), they always find something wrong and then try and sell you stuff.

There are places here just like everywhere else in the good old US of A that will just sell you an inspection, some places you don't even have to bring the car just the paper work.

22. No yearly inspections here in Oklahoma.
    Had them several years back and the system was ripe with fraud.
    The OKIE legislature must have seen it was loosing money for the state. If it was a money maker, those ass clowns would have kept the system. Even gone to TWICE yearly inspections???

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We also have "Vintage Vehicle" license plates for vehicles over 30 years old. Pay for it once, good for the rest of the life of the car, never pay again. They say limited use, not daily driven, but have never heard of it being enforced. Next year my 86 Vette will be getting one.

24. nickleone

nickleone

In Colorado if 1973 or 1974 or older no emission test if you get the 5 year Vintage plate.
    If you go for the 1 year plate you need a test LOL.
    In the last 6 years the year break has changed once or twice and I can't keep up without looking
    at the DMV requirements

Nick

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

We go through a Hot rod / State build process with 3 x stage inspection before registration, full licensing and partial (Club or limited) licensing, similar to NSRA safety check but more stringent. The State has strict guidelines that we have to adhere to or no registration. There are no annual state inspections after that until you decide to sell. Then you go through a State safety certificate and another hot rod / state inspection before registration is transferred. All states are different, there are National Guidelines for rods however not every state is a signatory to them. A mandatory requirement up here is the State requires you to be a member of the national sanctioning body (ASRF), like your NSRA. Hot rods are treated different to all other modified cars and are deemed pre-1948.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A young local policeman drove into NAPA parking lot, power parked behind my F100...I was just getting out, the cop walks up (aggressively) and says, "I see you driving this vehicle every day. State insurance laws only cover these vehicles to and from shows, and special occasions..." or some such drivel.
    I reached inside and handed him my insurance card..."Tell you what, this vehicle has been in constant registered insured use since 1972, is insured as solid as any motor vehicle, with commercial plates.
    "It goes to Bonneville every couple of years, has done duty as my shop truck for 20 years, goes to Eagle Field as a support vehicle religiously, and hauled building materials for my house.
    "Am I supposed to park it for shows? Craziest thing I've ever heard of..."

He said, "You must have slipped between the cracks..."
    Yeah. Semper Fi, Mac. He handed back my insurance card. I think it was the date that confused him.
    Must have been born in the '90s sometime... :D

Bam.inc likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

I'd like to know that, too. Just got mine inspected.

28. 5window

5window

Hmm, not sure I have seen a "young, local policeman" who wasn't aggressive-but I don't envy them their job.

29. I see Antique plates even on late 60 early 70 Pro street type cars. I do remember the CRACK DOWN at York NSRA. And It could happen again I guess. I have a Street Rod plate, and have never been bothered by Police. I dont exactly know how these guys got there antique plate on a car that is tubed in the back and or has a blower hanging out of the hood. I pretty much follow the rules.

30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Just passed in Mass: any vehicle 75 years or older does not need a yearly safety inspection. It is good to have someone else look over your car I think, he just might find something