Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wudrod, Jul 9, 2015.

1. wudrod

wudrod

Who makes SoCal speed shops wheels, the salt flat knock off wheel? Are they made in US or China?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. American Racing. HRP

3. wudrod

wudrod

American racing makes the salt flat wheel but it is not a knock off it is held on with 5 lug nuts. I am looking for a salt flat style wheel but held on with knock off.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"what we have heah....is a failure to communicate" :D

Ray

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Call Phil Schmitt at P.S. Engineering. Ca.( Torrance, IIRC)
    They are their Sebring wheels, available in one piece and two piece.
    The two piece can be made with most any back space. PHIL SCHMIT (PS Eng.)  making wheels.jpg
    Knock offs.jpg roadster 2014 010.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. Anything made in China is a knock off.

clem, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had these made by VintagewheelUS. wheel1.jpg SoCal pin set knock offs only come in 16"s, these can be made in 15 and 16. I had the rim polished. I went 15 X 5.5 front and 16 X 8 rear for a staggered look and rubber rake. They are gorgeous and balanced without issue on Coker classic radials upfront and towel city cheater radials in the back. about $2300 with adapters, pins, knockoffs, speed wire pliers, etc. Oh, and they don't say SoCal on the spokes, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

8. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

A very good looking wheel gotta be my favorite wheel ever

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

9. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

I put a set on my Avanti and love `em. Great quality and Vintage wheels US is a great company to do business with.

DSCN0087 - Copy.JPG

10. It appears Phil retired within the past year, the contact info on the PSE site takes you to Vintage Wheel Works (not sure if it's part of Vintage wheel US that I posted early....lots of consolidation in the wheel business recently) who is reported to have bought all his tooling but hasn't figured out how they're going to market the product, particularly the hand built stuff Phil did.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think Phil ran a one man operation for the most part, he probably got tired crank'n handles all day long.
    I did it for 30 years, enjoyed it until my body started rebelling, damn glad that's over.

hotrodjack33 and Deuces like this.
  12. A knock off is not really a salt flat wheel it is an Indy wheel. Nice wheels and I don't know of any made off shore yet. Most are small batch custom wheels made by real hot rodders. Like those that @DDDenny mentioned.
    I would like to own a set of pin drives myself, but I also like to eat and on the scales beans always wins. :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob Lacey at VintagewheelUS is a gem to deal with. Everything he promised me, he fulfilled. I dug up his email address if you want to chat, [email protected]

I didn't know knock offs spin off to the left on the right side and off to the right on the left, it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the adapters apart. Not his problem, just user stupidity.

14. Kinda shoots that "righty tighty, lefty loosey" shit in the ass don't it?:D

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. one two many

one two many
    from MN

I have a friend who has a set of these wheels and would like you to call him if you are interested in them. His name is Gary and his number is 507-456-2957.

16. wudrod

wudrod

Thanks every one, I called Vintage wheel us, very nice guy.

17. Webb 32

Webb 32

Kinda old thread here but would you happen to have full on side picture of your car with these wheels?

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And another.

DSCN1612.JPG

Deuces and Hollywood-East like this.
  20. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Unless you find a used set, the wheels probably will have been cast in China.

Ten or 12 years ago, I ordered a set of Vintage Wheel Works V50 10-spoke wheels. They were back-ordered, due to foundry problems. Just as I was ready to cancel the order, they arrived. The wheels were cast in China and finished in the U.S. I was pleased with the wheels, but the center caps (also cast) were very brittle and chipped when dropped onto my garage floor. Vintage Wheel Works replaced all four caps (no charge), and I was allowed to keep the others.

Vintage Wheel Works is now owned by Coker Tire, so I have to assume that the wheels are not 100% American-made.