Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Only 15 First Hot Rod Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8juice, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Why would you not use the sway bar? That would make an improvement in the handling of your car and you already have it.

v8juice, patmanta and Peanut 1959 like this.
  2. v8juice

v8juice

I have the bar itself but not the pivot arm pieces that attach to the ends.

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The improvement in handling would make it worthwhile to fabricate attachment links, IMHO

4. camerl2009

camerl2009

wow have not checked into this thread in a while seem you are making really good progress

v8juice likes this.
  5. missysdad1

missysdad1

Links for the rear anti-sway bar are available both used and new on that auction site, so keeping the bar might not be a bad idea...IF YOU ALSO USE THE MATCHING FRONT BAR. You can't just add or subtract anti-sway bars with no thought, plan or understanding because they DO effect handling in a major way. So, if you don't have time to do the research, leave the rear bar off for now, but don't sell it. Keep an eye out for the matching front bar from the EXACT SAME make/model/year (the rear one you've got is most likely from an Xtreme, not a standard model pickup) and buy it. THEN adapt them BOTH at a later time.

(Sorry for yelling, Sam, but the indiscriminate use of anti-sway bars can get you into a LOT of trouble!)

6. v8juice

v8juice

Thank you

I should have gotten the whole setup from the Sonoma but I didn't know it had a rear sway bar until I got the rear end and I didn't think to pickup the rest of the parts. I don't think the Sonomas used as large a bar as the Xtremes so maybe I should pickup the whole setup from an Xtreme at some point. Either way this isn't something I'm going to worry about until after my car's on the road anyway.

7. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Sam. You already have a front sway bar so that should keep the body roll and sway in check ok. Keep the rear bar for possible future use. A too stiff rear bar can cause handling issues.

8. v8juice

v8juice

My almost completed attempt at a removable ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433036778.546170.jpg transmission cover.

9. v8juice

v8juice

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433105118.920329.jpg instead of buying shackles I made some and saved $80

patmanta likes this.
  10. v8juice

v8juice

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433190768.420178.jpg
    The s10 leaf spring bushing gave me even more trouble than the bleeder screw. It even broke the air chisel!!!

11. atch

atch

Any time you have a wiper problem the best advice is to call up the folks at New Port Engineering, the wiper experts. Although their primary business is to sell electric wiper conversions, they have tons of knowledge and might be able to direct you to the parts you're looking for.

12. v8juice

v8juice

Thanks for this info. I'll have to call and see what they say. I'm actually considering doing my own electric wiper conversion.

13. Roger53

Roger53

Cool keep at it youg man you have the hot rodder gene! Roger I live just up the road from ya .

14. v8juice

v8juice

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436487952.297937.jpg
    It doesn't look like anythings happened but I've finished the floors, finally got it running better and feeding out of the gas tank. Also all the wiring is pretty much done including all the lights and stuff. All I need for inspection is to seam seal the floors and make some rocker panels besides getting some tires. What is a good seam sealer to use? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436488343.168013.jpg

bct, Marcia and patmanta like this.
  15. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Hi Sam. 3M brushable seam sealer # 8656

Check with Mark Mayberry for tires. His phone number is on the club roster.

Mark and I both have 8ft brakes if you need to make rockers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

3M has seam sealer in caulk tubes too, that works good.

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I see ads on CL for used tires up in Maine all the time. I'd take a look around.

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

good progress update, keep it up!

19. v8juice

v8juice

I talked to Mark about tires at the last meeting he said he had a couple:). I actually have some replacement rockers that came with the car that I'm going to use.

I decided on using the caulk tube stuff.
    There's a guy in my car club that sells used tires but I'll have to check out craigslist to see if theres a deal I can't pass up.
    Thanks!!

patmanta likes this.
  20. v8juice

v8juice

I had to remove the seat to drill holes for the seat belts so I decided that I might as well paint the floor while I'm at it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439259716.569439.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439259755.716414.jpg
    If all goes according to plan I'll be getting the inspection done Wednesday or Thursday.

patmanta likes this.
  21. v8juice

v8juice

22. Jeepnjay

Jeepnjay

That's awesome, congrats! Now you can come visit.

v8juice likes this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Good job, proud of you for working so hard to build your first hot rod, now enjoy it while you keep working the bugs out of it. :D

v8juice likes this.
  24. bct

bct

Love it , congrats

v8juice likes this.
  25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

great to hear it passed.
    have fun with it and enjoy the process, remember, they are never really done.

v8juice likes this.
  26. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

I'm happy for you v8juice. Good job. What color are you planning on painting it?

v8juice likes this.
  27. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Great news Sam. Hope you can go on the Back Road Run this Wednesday. Good chance to shake out some of the "bugs" with a few sidewalk supervisors along for moral support !!! 59Nomad's right, they are never done! Can I borrow some of your ambition; lost mine under the junk here in the garage.
    Post a photo of that State safety inspection sticker; it's something to be proud of !

v8juice likes this.
  28. v8juice

v8juice

Thanks! I'd love to come check out your shop!!
    Thank you!
    Thanks!
    I'm already planning some modifications and improvements:)
    Thank you! I'm not really decided on a color yet. Something semi-gloss maybe white or red but possibly green. Right now I'm focused on painting the underside to prevent any rust as it looks like I might be driving this to school this winter.
    I'm sorry but I won't be able to go on the Back Road Run as I'll be out of town. If there's anything I can help you out with on the 31 or whatever I'd love to help. I'll have to get a picture of the sticker tomorrow.

oldcars.acadia likes this.
  29. Marcia

Marcia

Great job! We are all proud of you!

v8juice likes this.
  30. v8juice

v8juice

Thanks Marcia!! Will you be at the Belfast cruise in this Friday?