Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ID on these (Hudson?) doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Jun 1, 2014.

1. I think these are for small body 1932-1933 Hudson or Terraplane. The belt matches up and there weren't a lot of cars where the sedans had suicide front and rear doors. The A-post angle and beltline seem to match photos in one of my books. Fronts are 31.5" across at the beltline and 44.75 inches tall at the B-post; rears are 29 inches wide.

These are super nice considering, no rot issues at all, the right front the window even rolls up and down nice. The others aren't as complete. Too bad the odds of finding a guy who needs them are up there with finding a '32 Hudson myself.

DSCF0481.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Bump for the day crew.

3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Rusty, I will help out with another "Bump" !!! I sincerely scanned the "Inter-Web" last night looking for info on the 32 Hudson and was hoping to Post Pictures of my finds. I will have to admit that what I found was sparse to say the least. Even the Hudson Club Page did not offer much without becoming an Online Member.
    I do Watch your Posts and I must say that you always seem to come up with interesting stuff and information. I can only imagine the hours you spend seeking out the old parts and the unusual. My Hat is Off to You, Sir.
    I have always been a Fan of the Odd Rods even though I am Chevy all the way. I have owned a couple of Anglias but one of my favorites was my 1939 Citroen. (many show up in WWII movies) I was in the process of converting it to rear wheel drive and the engine of choice was a Chevy 292-6 with a Clifford intake and Holley 4-bbl. A divorce settlement sent that project down the road.
    Back to the Hudsons, I had the pleasure of helping an Old Friend with a 36 Hudson Terraplane 2-dr years ago. To me it was Ugly but very interesting. It was somewhat of a Rare Find.
    I hope that this Post does not get Kicked because I feel that All Old Cars should have a Chance to run the streets again. Independent Thinking has always produced some very Nice Vehicles. It only takes a Little Time to study "Our Automotive History and Heritage"
    Good Luck on your Endeavors, I will Keep Searching................ Thanks, Jeff

4. I just bought them because I didn't want to see them hacked up for some lousy rat rod. Wosrt case I'll stick them on a pallet in the warehouse with my Studebaker Rockne body and forget about them.

5. I can't believe no one recognizes these things.

6. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

They look more like the doors on my Dad's '36 Hudson Terraplane (4-door sedan).

7. '36 doors are angled down the entire front of them. These are only angled at the A-post. The arch of the rear door is more pronounced, and the belt line detail differs.

'32 Terraplane pic:
    http://www.auctionsamerica.com/images/lots/LH11/LH11_r166_01.jpg

Looks pretty close to me. But the rear doors look longer with the arch on top less pronounced.

8. here's a 33 Hudson Essex Terraplane...
    [​IMG]

9. That's the only thing that throws me, unless your pic is an Eight and the Six was a shorter body, these doors the rear are a tad shorter than the front, while the pictured cars the rear doors look longer by an inch or two, and the shape of the top of the rear door is different. But all the rest seems to match.

I'll re-measure at the beltline to be sure, the way I stacked them it was easier to go across the top, but the posts are straight up and down.

10. 32 hudson

32 hudson

In 1932 and 1933 there where 2 different models of Essex and Terraplane. The Essex Supper Six and the Essex Terraplane 8. The picture in the post #7 I belive is a 32 Essex Supper Six. I say this because of the headlights and the vertical grill shell. The Terraplane 8 cars had a kind of teardrop shapped headlight and more of a laid back grill shell.There are pics of the Terraplane 8 cars on the net. There may be a slight difference in size or shape of the doors between Essex and Terraplane. I am not sure myself. I suggest you look for your self on the net. My basic point is that the doors will fit 32 or 33 Supper Six or 32 or 33 Terraplane 8 cars depending wichever model they fit. The basic difference between 32 and 33 terraplane body is windshield visor. 1933 does not have the visor. I realize this makes no differance to you as you only have the doors and this is mostly useless info to you at this time. I have the 32 Terraplane coupe body in my avatar. I could see simularites in your door pictures and my doors. The way the frames are stamped formed and the beltlines and beading on the bottom door skin. i am conviced they are 32 or 33 Essex supper Six or Terraplane 8. They are deffinately worth saving and I am glad you rescued them from the scrapers at least. I wish my doors where as good a condition as yours.

Steve

Ps I have a friend that had a 32 Essex 4 door sedan street rod years ago. Currently he has a 33 Terraplane coupe. I think he had to use 4 door front doors modified to fit the coupe. As he did not have coupe doors. I will have to check on that.

11. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Ok Rusty I see by post #9 that you all ready know about the Six and 8 so I probably should just keep quiet. That is a nice looking 33.

12. Only because I googled pictures earlier tonight to see what I could see.

I think you could make these into coupe doors, but it would take a little cutting and reshaping to get the tops right, most coupes the door tops look curved. But it appears the pickups used sedan doors, so they'd fit one of those and the backs can be spares or something.

Years ago a buddy had a '34 Hudson coupe shell - and just a shell, it had been on a stock car frame at some point - and he sold it to a guy who wanted to build it, so I'm sure somewhere someone can use these too.

13. ...the 33 pictured is a six cyl. car, a bit shorter than the eight. Also some of these cars had suicide front doors and regular rear doors, but most were all 4 suicide.

14. 34Partshunter

34Partshunter
    from Hutto TX

My girlfriends brother up in Minnesota is a Hudson dude. He says those doors are 33-34 due to the curves they have in them.

15. 32 hudson

32 hudson

34 terraplane doors are different then 32 and 33. The 1934 terraplane has a more rounded slanted front door edge. 32 and 33 doors have vertical lines. 34 terraplane.jpg

16. Starting to wonder if the fronts are 33 and the rears are 34.

17. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Rusty the door in your pictures with the garnish moulding is that a rear or a front. I have never seen the full garnish mouldings for a 32/33. There are some inside door pulls/garnishes for 32/33 on ebay currently. I can understand how they would fit on a front door because the inside window opening has square corners and the window sill is right angled. The curved garnish you have could be a 34. There might be some pictures on the internet of inside door. Will have to check. i think i have seen them before but never paid much attention them. I never figured I would ever find any to fit my coupe. The garnishes on ebay are out of my price range.

18. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Garnish moulding pictures. Blue one is 1933, 1933 essex terraplane garnish moulding.jpg red is 1934. 1934 interior garnish moulding.jpg The cabriolet interior has the trim simmilar to what is on ebay Terraplane door pull trim.jpg

19. That's a front door with the garnish, handles, and that's a grab strap on the right side that runs at about a 45' angle. It's the right side door, also.

It's just odd because they appear to be one set of doors off one car, but the top of the rear door window opening is more curved than any picture I've looked at.

20. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I would like to see better/more pictures of the individual doors my self. Also posting more pics on your epay listing may help in the sale. Maybey the rear doors are from a later year terraplane.

21. hudsonh

hudsonh

Here is a couple pictures of 32 Hudson. I have some pics of 33, the doors look same as 32. Sure look the same as yours.
    34-35 are different.

Attached Files:

22. spezialitat71

spezialitat71

Did you ever sell the Garnish Mouldings? They look like a Hudson Coupe, which is what I have not been able to find. They are different than the Terraplane.

23. 32 hudson

32 hudson

spezialitat71 I would like to see more pictures of your coupe. Does your coupe have one or two cowl vents ? Having a windshield visor as shown in your avatar indicates it is a 1932. Do you have the serial number from the firewall tag ? I can check the list I have for the year. I do not have the tag for mine as the firewall was cut out prior to my getting it. I would like to find a correct tag for it.
    Steve