Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

This T was as the SoCal open house on Friday before the LARS. I don't think I posted it before. I'm not wild about the 75lb. cowl lamps, buy everything else was pretty cool.

1436253300332.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I've slowly gotten back to working on the bucket, but I'm having a little more fun collecting parts for the Touring project. Namely Twin Blue Stewart Warners. I'm a few short (and some of those in the mock up pictures are duplicates), so if any of you have some laying around, hit me up!

1436253460320.jpg

I have considered sacrificing a Greenline Tach and Speedometer to screen print the Twin Blue design. I know that it's probably a bad idea to ruin a pair of Greenlines, but I have extras... I have plenty of time to think that one through, though. Lol.

1436253616238.jpg

About half of this pile is eventually going to end up on ebay or into the swap meet pile, but for now it serves as a staging area for mixing and matching junk.

1436253759868.jpg

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Tim

I like what your doing and all your gauges. Just remember though everything doesn't have to be symmetrical unless your dash is big in the middle and tapers up on both sides like Ivo's and the one above you posted. I kind of wish I hadn't lined up mine like I did. The two big ones in the middle and two small ones on either side. Thinking now the two big ones would look and be better right in front of me and the four small ones lined up to the right. Plus it will be much more interesting to look at. Just a thought.

Gary

dana barlow and brad2v like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I can see why you liked these coupes and roadsters. Some fine looking cars.

dana barlow likes this.
  5. 117harv

117harv

Dana, really? You are mis informed, I have seen you make those claims on cowl steering over and over again. Go kart steering? Having the box mounted under the cowl does not change how it works, it will steer at the same ratio in either spot. Bump steer, really it will have no more or less than many other set ups. You think it's ugly, well that's your opinion, thousands like them, myself included. Those that run them don't know what they are doing, they are bad engineering? 99% on street rods are done poorly?

I show all members here respect, if I don't like something they are building then I keep to myself. If a member asks for opinions, then I may occasionally give it in a respectful way. I have seen you cut down members cars for lack of shiny paint over and over, or bad paint, calling the members car ugly, and the owners lazy. With all due respect, when you picked up your roadster way back when, I can't imagine that roadster quarters were that hard to find. Why did you just cap them off instead of putting them back as the should have been? To me that's lazy.

daddio211 likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

117harv,you need to go back to school about steering.
    I try to let guys learn things from the way I post them and will lay out engineering for those that ask.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. Thanks for the compliments, Jeremy and Dick! I should have taken way more pics, but I was kinda preoccupied looking for our radiator supplier (the Plymouth's radiator is on it's last legs!). I saw that T also, those cowl lamps were something else! I thought he did a good job of integrating them into the theme of the car, but yes, it would have looked better without them. I'm kinda curious what they originally came off of! The Car appeared to be an early 70's build to me. As far as your gauges go, couldn't you just get a later, less desirable SW Tach and Speedo to re-silk screen?

8. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Blownfuel, that is a good idea. I was looking around at them, but without having them in front of me, I don't know how closely they would match up. Guess there's only one way to find out!

dana barlow likes this.
  9. Kurt did you see the little yellow bucket out by the back of the museum it had four pedals.......... bicycle pedals. I've got pics but can't load them till I get home

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  10. That '28 Model A with the Buick and triples certainly lights my fire and I wonder if it is a genuine early build car or a a darn excellent interruption of a early Roadster. The only thing that could be improved is the addition of a clutch pedal and gearbox instead of the slush box but either way, I would be one very happy chappie to own that beauty.

26 T Ford RPU and dana barlow like this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yes ,for sure on the blue 28 A w/Buick,outstandingly nice . I like auto trannys now that I'm in my mid 70s,more cuz of many more cars on the road now making lot more stop n go. We did kind of think of slush box's as granny cars back in the 50/early 60s. But I do enjoy driving my son's T with its automadic now n then. Nice brake for my 3speed on the floor at times.

whiplash1923T and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I tends to agree with @117harv , although I think he was a little harsh in his writing. And I agree for the most part of what try's to say,, just not how he says it!! That why I didn't put a like on his post.

It might be that a lot of of cowl steer setup are put in wrong, and for the wrong reasons, but every problem can be overcome.

If people in Denmark can be the inventors of the world largest lathe (1932-40, B&W shipyard), the world largest engine (1932-62 B&W/Man), the worlds longest suspension bridge (1999-2003 Storebælt), the complex piece of machinery known as Jens olesens World clock (pre atom watch it was the best clock ever build!!) and the worlds largest container ship (2002-2006 Lindø shipyard Odense), your guys could rebuild a space shuttle in outer space, I do find it hard to believe that a couple of hot rods, dry lake racers, dirt track racers and some dedicated mechanics can't make a steering box work that sits 2-3 further back, and 1-3 higher up compared to a 32 ford or Chevy AD truck.
    Come on, most everything is adaptable, possible to change and will sooner or later come to work!!!

Cowl steering has been around for more the 5 decades, they can't all be wrong!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    brad2v likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Volvobrynk, Its a sure thing that stuff can be fixed,the real point was that cowel steering is one that is EZ to get wrong an is on most that I see. Just to clear it up some. Never said "all" cowel steering were done wrong,but most we see are,no matter how many times its done wrong and copyed,it still dose not make it a good thing. I posted info on some bump already and didn't think more was needed,cuz if read and understud it covers the basics. As for ratio between steering wheel an front wheels,the most often seen cowel steering long pitman arm is what makes steering feel like go-cart. I do find its only human nature to not read all of a post,than grab out of context a part of it,if its something you did OK your self ,that was talked about as others having problems with. Its still always just have fun with what your doing,hotrods are a blast,I started building rods,customs an racecars in the 1950's an still do it !.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    loudbang and jalopy45 like this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay,I will grant you this, you sound more harsh and sounded like it was impossible to make it work, at least to average people. Hence my point about even Danes achieved great things, even by others standards.
    But it's so easy to be misunderstood in writing, especially if you leave out emoji-cones or things like "pun intended", or the use of understatements.
    Not so good, sounds better then half shitty or plain bad.

What is EZ?

dana barlow likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

VOLVOBRYNK,sorry I do spell bad an don't clam to be a good writer ether. EZ = easy/its a short cut for writing easy is all. Dose seem to be too many of those being used.

16. Mr Volvobrynk, I'm not being picky but your suspension bridge is only the worlds third longest span and although this is completely off subject, I will name the top three, 1st Akashi- Kakyo Bridge, Japan, main span 1650 metres. 2nd Xihoumen Bridge, China, main span 1650 metres, 3rd Great Belt Bridge, Denmark, 1624 metres. But please note, the overall total bridge length is 6790 metres which I think is very long.
    Sorry, but I have had a fascination for bridges from modern to old from all around the world so I had to check out your claim.

26 T Ford RPU and volvobrynk like this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is completely correct, but it was the longest when build but only for half a year plus the time it took to build one of the others, and I thought we was the second longest, and size do matters

That's why I put in the years behind. And this was a little silly of me, but it was my combined version of "my farther went to war so I could build hot rods" and "titanic was build by pros, and the ark by an amateur".

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  18. Oh yes, the Ark may of been build by an amateur and his family but the designer was a pretty cool wise man who gave them precise plans to build too. And another interesting point to ponder, most of the pictures of the Ark show it with a bow and stern yet in the Bible, it was a rectangle shaped object. On the final note on this also, there is a building in Melbourne Australia that was build to the exact measurements of the Ark as given in the Bible.

19. Glenn S

Glenn S

What's a cubit?

37hotrod, jalopy45 and dana barlow like this.
  20. butch27

butch27

What's a cm??

21. nobux

nobux

I've been working on my header extensions. I loved the look of the headers on the DeBenedictis car ever since Steel Rebel posted a picture of it, just the one time.;)

A straight, slant cut extension. Should be an easy, one cut job, right?... Four cuts later, countless minutes spent staring at the side profile of the car, and I think it will work. This is the reason things take so long.:rolleyes:

dana barlow likes this.
  22. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Post up some pictures at a couple different angles if you get time. I'm sure it looks great though like the rest of your build.

Mike

dana barlow likes this.
  23. deucemac

deucemac

Just slightly less than 1/45 of a cubit

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The direct opposite of inch system, simple, worldwide and logic

2.54 cm is an inch

Mili, centi, deci, base/unit, deca, , kilo

They jump with 10 between them. And the center one can be meter, liter, etc.
    So it becomes

Millimeter, centimeter, decimeter, meter, 2 two values above ain't that much in use, but kilometer is.
    1 meter is 10 decimeter.
    1 decimeter is 10 cm.
    1 cm is 10mm

Engineers and machinist can work with 10parts (0.1 mm) or 100 parts (0.01). They even has MY that's 0.001mm

Grams is not all that gets used, they are milligram, kg and tons. 1 ton is 1000kg.

Can you explain inch as easy?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    whiplash1923T likes this.
  25. AndersF

AndersF

Theres no benefit to use metric system.
    Look what happened with the US cars when they start to use it.

Limey Kid likes this.
  26. I grew up with imperial measurements and now work in both, but I cant relate to Kilometres Per Hour.
    Jeremy

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Metric, inch, it doesn't really matter which. I work well with both as they were taught simultaneously where I went to school. American cars from the 80s that had both systems are a bit frustrating but no more than old British cars. The fact one needs both sets of tools certainly increases the cost and storage requirements, though.

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  28. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Standard or Metric, 110AC or 220AC, NTSC or PAL. It all seems to work out in the end.

I've been military for a few years now, and it does make it a challenge when you live in a different country every couple years.

dana barlow likes this.
  29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Imperial is that Wentworth? I had to buy a set "W" in the '60s to work on my Greeves. Wish I would have kept the extra chassis. Triumph 500s fit right in and make a bitchin Grump.
    Gary

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.