Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 3 window 1938 ford coupe Henry should have made.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by crustz, Jul 9, 2015.

1. crustz

crustz
    from WA

We'll here goes, i was finally able to make a deal on this old coupe early last summer from the father of one of my good buddy's.. I've been after it for years and a 51 ford business coupe I had finally struck his fancy and we made a deal.. Was a running driving chopped coupe from about the late 60's and ran around the Seattle area till the early 80's before it was left to die in a back yard north of Seattle.. So it's been with the same family for the last 45 years until I was given the honor of brining it back.. Horrible chop, beyond rusty and super incomplete by the time I finally pulled it out but I couldn't have been happier. It's been on the back burner for a month or so while I wrap up my Cadillac build and dig up parts but I'll be back on it after summer and hittin it hard.

It's kept me up way too many nights thinking to myself "if only Henry Ford would have continued the 3 window coupe into the 37/38 body style how different things would have been".... Well in my mind this is what that would have looked like after I chopped the shit out of it.. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436437625.033130.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436437639.857426.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436437651.747553.jpg

Barn Hunter, Gremlinguy, hfh and 21 others like this.
  2. crustz

crustz
    from WA

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, cant wait to see this one finished!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. your a mad man! I dig it lots!

5. clem

clem

Looks good so far.

6. waynos

waynos

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Stay the coarse, looking good so far.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow. I'll be watching... And silently judging you from a corner!

9. crustz

crustz
    from WA

Thanks guys! And Ryan, if it wasn't for people sitting in the corner judging me I'd probably never get anything done.. So I appreciate you the most :)

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  10. Beautiful lines. Love the flow.

11. Hey Crustz, cool project. Is that grille standard for '38 ? I've seen a few different variations? Will be following your progress for sure.

12. Better view of your loft TV set without that pesky door pillar in the way. I always liked that year coupe ... and yours has gone from moonshine to barrel select by stirring the mash a bit. Henry would toast to that. Cheers !! I love it !

lothiandon1940 and crustz like this.
  13. ...that's lookin spot-on, especially as a tail dragger...nice work so far.

14. crustz

crustz
    from WA

Deluxe32: this would be the "standard" version available in 38' the deluxe model is a whole different animal sheet metal wise.

15. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Never liked those cars until you posted the picture as a 3 window. It's very elegant now

zzford likes this.
  16. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! In the third picture the side window opening appears to get taller as it approaches the back of the door, it needs to get shorter instead. In other words, the opening should taper towards the rear of the opening to match the roof. Otherwise, looking great so far.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! In the third picture the side window opening appears to get taller as it approaches the back of the door, it needs to get shorter instead. In other words, the opening should taper towards the rear of the opening to match the roof. Otherwise, looking great so far.

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

Crikey, I couldnta said it better myself, .......... whatever he said.
    :)

BTW, cool looking start to a build thread - subscribed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. brady1929

brady1929

20. crustz

crustz
    from WA

Yes you are 100% correct, I stretched the drivers door "quickly" to the exact length of sedan door.. The Doors in the photo are sooo wasted I just did this just so I could get the door opening finished knowing that I could find CLEAN sedan doors fairly easily.. Then build the door tops for final using the the front halfs of all 4 doors which will give me a perfect flowing opening.. If that makes any sense, sorta hard to explain :) I'll actually be using 36 sedan doors and parts of the 36 cowl making a belt line to match and continue through the roof line. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436447581.695183.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Fantastic lines and work so far! Glad the guy finally let go of the car. Get her on the road and make up for all that lost time it sat rotting.

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Great car!

I always chuckle at what West coast and Midwest guys think is "beyond rusty" or "wasted" because it's almost always what a Northeasterner would call "mint!"

hacknwhack, joee, 40fordtudor and 3 others like this.
  23. belair

belair

Hurry up and finish it. Looks Great so far.

24. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Very cool

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

yes !i love it too so far ,will be watchin.

26. dos zetas

dos zetas

Looks just like something Ed Ford would have designd in the day, back when he was working on
    Zephyrs. Real nice concept, thanks for saving this nice machine.

27. I've been following you on Instagram & like it allot.

crustz likes this.
  28. crustz

crustz
    from WA

TRUTH!!! Blew off close to 25lbs of metal with the air blower just cleaning this thing up.. I'll take some pics of the innards, only reasons the outer skins held together was because of the many gallons of silly putty... The rust on my 38' is truly inspiring Mother Nature is the boss.

29. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Not sure I agree that a rearward tapering window opening is a rule.

[​IMG]

Baron, BigO, zzford and 10 others like this.
  30. This is going to be way cool.......Signed up for the ride on it.