Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tokyo Rose Tribute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikeszcz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ^^^^^I'm no expert, but this statement is wrong.^^^^^^^

DOT laws don't allow fuel be drawn off the bottom. NHRA has all sorts of fuel tank rules, but none about drawing from the bottom.
    image.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OK if you think I am incorrect, But it is a real mistake on a race car any way! Gary:eek:

KickinAsphalt likes this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Every Moon tank and drag race care tank feed from the bottom
    JEGS Performance Products 15381 - JEGS Pro-Street Fuel Cells

[​IMG]

JEGS Performance Products#555-15381
    Pro-Street Drop Sump Fuel Cell
    • 12 Gallon
    • (2) -8AN Male Outlet
    • (1) -8AN Male Rollover Vent
    • (1) -8AN Male Return
    • 17"L x 17"W x 11"H
    • Use 555-15393 Mount (sold seperately)
    • NHRA and DOT are two completely different things thank God.
    • I installed a dropped sump on my 57 and it's staying that way, guess I'm an outlaw.
    • Pat

Attached Files:

4. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Paint chips from the door sill or the Original Tokyo Rose (Thanks Scotty) ....hopefully we can get close.
    If I wasn't building this car, I'd never paint a car this color!
    paint.jpg

Hollywood-East likes this.
  5. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

From the posts at the Junior stock forum here on the HAMB I don't think THEY expected that color! LOL

6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

The color has a name...............bermellon..........in case anyone was wondering.

7. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

ROFL!!!! I was thinking, "that's what we put in the can and it looked ORANGE" Till it dried! I used to do that al the time with leftover paint. Grab bag mix her up and shoot it!

8. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Now I have to look that up

9. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Not the greatest pictures, but it's late and the interior and dash are painted. Nothing fancy......stricktly function. Door jambs are next weeks project.
    it.jpg it1.jpg

Kevs56 and KickinAsphalt like this.
  10. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Is that Flat or satin black? Or gloss?

11. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Rust Oleum Semi gloss black on sale at the Fleet Farm $24.95 a gallon.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  12. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Jambs are painted but I think the project has just been set back by the cost of paint...........have you priced quality paint lately?...wow! We'll be swapping next week to generate some cash and may do some assembly work until we can afford more paint.
    color1.jpg color4.jpg

Kevs56 likes this.
  13. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

Yes, paint has sky rocketed last few years, and reds and pearls just happen to be on the higher end .

14. ^ That 'aint no B.S. about the paint cost. Paying for the paint is the hard part, for sure. The pearl on the 57 was $200. For a little jar. Eek.

15. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Oh yea any red/Reddish color is NOT CHEAP and they never have been. I can remember long ago price checking to do a project and it always ran I think at the top of the price list!

16. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Did you shoot that to George and see what he thought of the color?

17. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

No and here's my reasoning for that. I know the quality of the paint today is far superior to the paint of that era and from the advise I got from my paint guys was to go through some old paint chips of the day and find something close rather that cook up some witches brew (because that's what the original was). I took the chips I got from Scotty, which by the way look nothing like the pictures you see on the internet of the "Rose", and went through all the paint books I could from 1960-1980 and this is the color we found. Fact is, I really like this color and if we're off a few shades it's still just a tribute car and I have to live with it. I'm pretty sure once it's all lettered up, George won't mind if we didn't get the color perfect. George himself said the paint was going to be pretty hard to match.

loudbang and KickinAsphalt like this.
  18. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Well ya do have to take into account pic color fade, AND Pics seem to be not always perfectly accurate when shared( color and sharpness loss)

19. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

That's sure looks close to the chips ya have too ! I Dig it!

20. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

21. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Looks damn close to me!

22. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Doors are hung and notched out the fenderwells today for the headers. I'm out of money so I decided to go through the boxes of parts that came with the car. All if not most of the inner hard to find trim is there and found a new hood bird and a couple new trim pieces in boxes I didn't know I had. I didn't take this car apart and more or less bought it as an abandoned project so sorting through the boxes is a bit of a challenge but I'm pleased at what I'm finding.
    t.jpg t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg t4.jpg t5.jpg

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks to the author/builder for creating this fine thread. You are a multi-talented craftsman indeed!

Even though I viewed George's brake lights (in the traps) a couple of times, I admired his skill, perseverance and
    foresight. But, truth be told, I was always uncomfortable with the name he gave his racer/s.

"Tokyo Rose" was a generic name given by Allied troops in the South Pacific during World War II to what they believed were multiple English-speaking female broadcasters of Japanese propaganda. The broadcasts were
    aimed at Allied forces in the Pacific, with the intent of lowering morale." American servicemen in the Pacific often listened to the propaganda broadcasts to get a sense, by reading between the lines, of the effect of their military
    actions. "She often undermined the anti-American scripts by reading them in a playful, tongue-in-cheek fashion, even going as far as to warn her listeners to expect a “subtle attack” on their morale." "Tokyo Rose could be unnervingly accurate, naming specific units and even individual servicemen."

It was a period in time when (especially) Junior Stockers were given 'catchy' names and the fact that the (first)
    paint batch (unexpectedly) turned out to be rose hued most-likely inspired George to pick that name. It's understandable that he stuck with that name when it was out-of-necessity repainted (blue), as by that
    time the car was famous. As most of you know, the ill-fated follow-up (58 Pontiac) was also emblazoned with the Tokyo Rose moniker. It was unnecessary, as by then (at least within the drag-racing community) the name George Cureton was very-well known.

As to (former H.A.M.B. Member) "Scotty" ever properly resurrecting what remains of the original car, I think that is highly unlikely.

loudbang likes this.
  24. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Mike are you using base/clear? or enamel? Just wondered as the front splash pan looks a bit duller than the door jambs? Could be the angle of the pic I suppose.

25. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Actually your right! He mixed the 2 colors together (Marina blue and Bermellon) and it actually came out a really COOL Purple! Named it the "Flying Turd" and has been driving it like that for 2-3 years now.

26. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I'm not a paint guy, but the guys I know that are in the business, suggested Base/Clear is the way to go. I know the paints back in the day didn't shine like todays paints, but I'm going to listen to my paint guys. Also, I talked to the lettering guy at a swap meet a week back and I'm exited that he's exited to letter the car when it's ready. He's a real artist that's been doing hand lettering since the late 60's early 70's. He's the perfect guy for this project and I'm ecstatic he's up for the project.

27. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Personally I know many who are hard core Base/Clear users. I will NEVER use it on anything if it can be helped. I will stand by Acrylic enamel or may go with acrylic urethane. Base clear look GREAT! and is easy to fix fubars on too. What I do NOT like is the way it tends to chip and peel, wear thru on the clear. I feel it doesn't hold up well at all. GREAT to hear you got someone who knows what they are doing to letter it!

GreenMonster48 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Painted the roof this morning. Figured painting the roof at home was the best idea to stretch the cost of paint out between a few projects and make going to a paint booth quick and simple when the time comes to paint the rest. Also thought a few bugs on the roof would be better than dragging an air hose across the side if we did the whole car at once. I know I would have done that.

I have a pair of WCFB’s and a Corvette manifold, but we’ll use the tried and true Q-jet to work the bugs out. Next step is wiring. I want to have it up and running when the time comes to finish the paint. Pretty much threw the towel in for any chance getting it done this year. I’m a little more optimistic about next.
    roof.jpg motor.JPG

29. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Well if you don't use those carbs let me know. I know someone who could use those he has a manifold. He has a 56 corvette SINGLE WCFB. was picked up last year. Let me know if you want to part with them. Roof looks GOOD!

30. loudbang

loudbang

looks very nice for a garage job. good idea to stretch your funds.