Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone installed a T5 in a 1957-1960 F-100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jul 6, 2015.

1. I am toying with the idea of putting a T5 in my 1960 F-100. The original 292 engine is out of it right now and it would be a good time to do it. I see speedway carries adapters, but are very vauge on what bellhousing it works with and what else is needed (clutch, throw out bearing, etc). So, has anyone done this before? Any huge hurtles I need to know about. Do you use a hydraulic slave, and if so, can I simply use the stock clutch master cylinder off the 60? I have a 3 speed and 4 speed truck bellhousing if either one works better then another. And I know I probably need a Ford style T5, vs a Chev.
    Any help or suggestions are appriciated. I know ANYTHING is possible but I only want to dive in it it's a relitivly easy swap. The trans hangs off the back so no mount making or anything. And yes obviously a reworked/new driveline will be needed.
    Part of me also thinks maybe I should just put a SBF in it along with the T5 and call it good, but I have a perfectly good running 292 and would like to use it if possible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Anyone?

My father in law has a mustang T5 he said I could use. I figured the shifter would be too far back, but found this online stating this was a T5 with the tail shaft shifter in a 57-60 F-100... image.jpg

3. tpw35

tpw35

Look up quicktime bell housings, they have one for just about any combination.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Check with Mctim,, The Y Block Guy (dot com) he is running a T-5 behind his B-Ville and El Mirage 63.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Instead of looking for a new bellhousing, I think you should be looking to adapt the T5 to your old bellhousing, thereby preserving your original clutch linkages and making everything else a lot easier.

I don't know what transmission bolt pattern you currently have on your bell, but there are adapter plates to convert old Ford T10 and Toploader bellhousings to modern Ford T5 patterns. Typically, the T5 input shaft is 5/8" longer, so the plates are 5/8" thick. Then all you need is a pilot bushing, a friction plate, and a driveshaft yoke (and maybe modify the driveshaft length).

6. Chris, Have you checked Bruce Coture's site http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop...xt&category=Adapters&merchant=moderndriveline
    He has a few adaters for Yblock to T5. I was looking at using one of his for our 57 Ford car with a 351 to T5 adapter. Looks fairly straight forward. Bolt adapter to to your bellhousing, use existing clutch,flywheeel, fork, and throwout bearing, mount T5 trans, fab up a tranny mount. I think the trans to get is a 89 to 93 V8 Mustang trans.

7. Oh man, that is great Fish @FishMan, thanks! That looks pretty strait forward and yes @Mike51Merc I ant to use an original bellhousing so the rest is stock.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Call Bruce Couture at Modern Driveline very helpful and his prices are great 208 453 9800.

9. Chris,I used the Ford t-5 from a mustang in the wagon and the only draw back I can see is the transmission had the shifter mounted toward the rear so I modified a old Hurst shifter to gain clearance. HRP

[​IMG]

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Check mummert's site - the truck bell is deeper and I dont think you can use a plate adapter - just re drill and add a boss....might need to open up the index hole too.....I think he will mod/exchange yours.....he has the clutch and t/o as well...

11. @ididntdoit1960 I think you are right, I called and talked to John Mummert...very nice guy and he somewhat explained what I will need and where to find it. I think I will go this route if I can find a transmission

12. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

13. I seem to recall a thread here about the process involved with mating a T5 to a Y block. Looked at it myself when I was considering the swap for my 60...

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ford made T5 in Mustang v8s in different input lengths the change was sometime in 94 early trans are 7.18 and late 7.85. With MDLs adapter ( under $200) the early trans will work with Y block car bellhousings the late with truck bells.