Register now to get rid of these ads!

What HOT ROD LEGEND would you like to meet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Oct 12, 2005.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

Smokey Yunick hands down. Mechanical genius in coveralls. Just his no bullshit way of explaining things in layman's terms, and the great, great way he had of spinning a tale.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. I don't know if these guys would be considered "hot rod" guys, but the Duesenderg brothers come to mind. Others include Colin Chapman, Alec Issigonis, Enzo Ferrari, Carrol Shelby, Sidney Allard, Ettore Bugatti, Ferdinand Porsche. (unfortunately all are deceased) I guess I liked the ones that actually went out, started a company and built special cars.

3. DrJ

DrJ

If I met Smokey Yunick I'd at least verbally punch him in the mouth for starting what made NASCAR what it is today,
    "kitcar racing." :(

4. Then Frank Kurtis should surely be on your list.

Speedwrench, brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  5. firingorder1

firingorder1

I would call them all hot rod guys. They just hot rodded things a bit differently than what would be called the "norm".

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. I think I would like to meet Big Daddy Don Gartlis...I have met a lot of the other guys that are listed on this post. But for some reason I think Don would be a very interesting person to talk to.

pitman and Jeff Norwell like this.
  7. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

sence the kookie car in the 50's , Norm Grabowski was THE king, he was 3000 miles away, never dreamed of ever seeing him. 50 years later [2010] he's in my shop out in the woods here saying ''hey Boo watcha buildin here''. have a couple of his sculls, my wife makes me keep them in the garage, they scare her. WOW

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bring 10 bucks Mayor

Your gonna need it.

hahaha

9. I would love to meet and chat with Don Montgomery. He's a true pioneer.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Publishing a little calendar we get to meet many greats,, well Chick does,, she stays at the sales area and I am out shooting. I have come back to hear about 'this guy liked your photos,,,his name was Eric Rickman,,, and I saw this guy who needed water so he sat in our shade and we talked,,Christman,, nice guy. But really we have met a bunch of great people, many who don't think they are so special they just want to be treated like the rest of the car people including BFG.
    Though I haven 't met some guy named Ryan

11. Mickey Thompson
    Don Prudhomme
    Tommy Ivo
    Don Garlits
    John Mulligan
    Mike Sorokin
    Pete Robinson
    Jim Nicoll
    Connie Swingle
    Pat Foster

That's just off the top of my head. Many more I can add.

Dustin

12. Ask Don what he thinks about UFO's. :rolleyes:

Special Ed likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I just talked with Don Enriquez yesterday. He told me my injectors were upside down. I bet he doesn't get to say that much.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

What about
    Max balchowsky (sp?)
    The guy that build old yeller II.

Is that even possible anymore?
    Or Bobby meeks (from Edelbrock)

Please take this as a question from a guy, stuck in a country where general publication would'nt know who Don Garlits is, and he would not make the news. Sad to say it!!
    All my news I get from the HAMB

15. You do have Kurt Carlson though........ex-pat Dane living here chasing speed records on his 13.5:1 compression methanol 1950 Vincent Black Lightning.with original Mark II cams. That's pretty badass.....considering he's kicking a 1 of 30 museum piece on the salt.

Like to meet him and his bike.

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Him I have to look up. Sounds like a guy that would be awesome to meet.
    Ex-Pat meaning? Irish?

17. Expatriate.......meaning moved from. Moved from Denmark to U.S.

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Stan is a great guy, He had a very Kool 32 Sedan Delivery back around 1989, and owned the Dick Bergren-chopped-created Doyle Gammel Cordova Brown 32 3W long after Bob Porter's demise.
    I believe Stan had it in 1990. Stan changed out the fields in my 34 3W's gen and she's a 12v positive ground gal.

He also was owner of Temple City Honda and German Auto Repair. He restores Vincent's and Ariels now, Last seen driving his pristine 68-69 Ranchero. Still in TC.

19. I will coming back to the US in August and touring around the LA area, I am from down under in Australia. I will be visiting Duane Mayer at his shop in Anaheim when I am down there. I am also going to Hollywood as well. Hope to meet any other hot rod people as possible...any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Mtw fdu.

20. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Bill Hines: I'm appreciative he was in Kansas today. Interesting story...he was expected @ Leadsled Spectacular in Kansas (last 2 days 100¤+, feels like 111¤+) & motor in one of his customs blows up in Santa Rosa NM... Bozo's Rt 66 Museum is replacing a motor...& he still makes it!!! (Interesting to me, b/c I've been to Bozos Rt.66 Museum & my uncle Don Wylie has built a lot of Customs for Bozo's cool museum).
    Bill, your a "tough as nails" Custom Hot Rod Hall of Famer. Glad I got to see you today!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  21. Have been keeping in touch with Jo Coddington and organising a meet up when I am in Anaheim from the 6th August till 11th. So far the meeting looks very promising.

Mtw fdu.

22. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Big Daddy Ed Roth. Sadly I will never.

Von Dutch... again will never get to

Voodoo larry.

Don "the snake" prudhomme

23. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Burt Munro
    Cole Foster
    Bo Huff
    Shug.......I had to mention him cos he lives and breathes hot rods and came from a small town just outside Glasgow Scotland and is now over the pond living the dream

24. Got back from the US on Saturday afternoon after 10 days there. Managed to meet up with Duane Mayer and Mike Curtis. The planned meeting with Jo Coddington was cancelled at last minute but I managed to find out a lot about the Aluma Truck build.

Mtw fdu.

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have loved to have had the chance to meet K.S. Pittman. Out of all the S&S Team he's the only one I never got the chance to meet.

26. triman62

triman62

John Milner, ohh wait died in a crash, reincarnated as Paul Lemat, yeah that will work.

27. E J Potter and Al Marcellus told the best stories, I would love to listen to them some more. Wish I could have met or at least seen Wild Willie Borsch make a pass.
    Just thought about Mickey Thompson, Ed Pink, Paul Newman and Keith Black.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

At least that is one guy you could still meet. If you really wanted to, you could put yourself somewhere he would be. And the man likes to talk about hot rods. He is not shy.

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We used to see a lot of K.S. back in the 80's when we were running the Ron Bizio truck. He became our celebrity assistant, with the "squirt bottle" in hand, he would get Tom Willford, focused and started, and always please the crowd. He was a fun guy to be around !

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015