Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs VIN MYSTERY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Vin Man, Jul 6, 2015.

1. The Vin Man

The Vin Man

How can I get information on specs on the car are originally built? Have a full 10 digit VIN but cannot get to info on original colors, options etc. Project is a customized 1952 Ford Crestline Victoria. Only stock panel left is the roof.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Simple those numbers were only a serial/ID number had NOTHING to do with the car/truck build spects. There was usually a plate on the firewall that gave some of that info ie color code -trans-rear axle. That gone you are SOL.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

The VIN back then didn't have any info about colors, options, etc. Generally, they tell you what plant it was made in, what model year it is, and maybe whether it's a V8 or six. That's about it.

But there was usually a tag on the door jamb or somewhere that would tell you all the other info. If that was removed, you will be out of luck.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Even the current 17 digit VINs only provide limited info as to vehicle details....engine, trans, trim level, country of origin, plant code are about it. Dealers use the VIN to access the "build sheet" data on the manufacturer's computers for the details about specific components and options when servicing or ordering parts.

Ray

5. Look on the upper part of the firewall for numbers stamped across it.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Some cars like Pontiac and Oldsmobile you can send $$$'s to the historical department and get info on some cars. I would guess Fordbarn guys would be able to tell you if FoMoCo can help you

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

8. (Early models stamped on a plate installed on right front body pillar below upper hinge opening. Late models (May '52) on left as with 1953)

Prior to 1960 the characters of the VIN are as follows:
    Engine
    Year
    Assy. Plant
    Body Style
    Unit Number (series of digits)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  9. The Vin Man

The Vin Man

Thanks for the replies. Didn't solve the issue but useful anyway. Now, does anyone have any knowledge about this ride. I am supposedly the third owner since the body work was done in CA in the 80's. Packard taillights, Chevy grill, Mercury bumpers, wheels wells swapped front and rear, lowered 4" all around, nosed, decked, shaved, hood and trunk corners rounded. Previous owner said it came to him with Chevy 350 CI and auto trans.

10. If its customized why do you need the stock trim, paint info?????

11. Squirrel's right. The VIN will only give up basic info; year, basic body type, assembly plant, engine and of course the unit serial number. The data plate would also have the VIN, but would include trans and rear axle ratio, specific body type (mainline, customline), and 'trim' which was the colors/interior. For anything else, you needed the paper build sheet, i.e. if it was equipped with a heater, radio, backup lights, etc. These were usually found under one of the seats but by now is probably long gone.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

We need pics to help on the ID.

13. I've got some information on how it breaks down on the '54 Fords,if you shot me the information in a conversation I see if any of it cross references.

Does your plate look anything like this? HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  14. The Vin Man

The Vin Man

The original info was just a matter of curiosity. Now trying to get info on the car's history.