Register now to get rid of these ads!

great lakes drag way union grove wi. pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 7, 2012.

1. The old guys I hang with always said 41 north of the stadium was the place as it was a dead end road back then and no one was around

2. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Thanks nitrobrother! I'm slugging away trying to get all of this documented. It's an important part of history....to some. I've spoken with two of the three individuals who bought the car from Al multiple times. Like you said, it came from Al to the 3 fellow in WI.

Racer-X, could you IM me who currently owns the car? It would be nice to chronicle the full ownership lineage so it doesn't get lost to time. I would obviously keep that information private.

3. the current owner does not want that info released.

4. aa scan0106.jpg aa scan0106.jpg I asked him "What ever happened to his Willys "?

He told me that when he raced the 56 Chevy the Willys was parked in his back yard for 10 or so years and one day his wife asked him when he was going to get rid of that piece of junk.

A couple of days later he almost gave it away!

By the way... you'll notice the Willys has its tow bar and street tires on the rear in this photo and that's how he brought all of his cars to the track right up to the 69 Nova for which he drove until the early 1990's

tommyd likes this.
  5. the lake shore max wedge dodge in the back round has been restored. the 65 resides in new york now. the original owner dick cruthers still races at union grove. the 65 was called ram smoke

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. That is...unfortunate. I understand, but still, one has hope.

7. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

it really is. The thing is he can still remain anonymous.

8. cs39ford

cs39ford

Any body got any photos of 1968-70s A buddy in high school ran 3 cars at the grove A 55 orange chevy MR Honk A Orange 41 Willys Wild Willys And a 48 Red Anglie Can t recall the name(327 inj) Driver Dan lettered on top This one also ran at Byron gas coupe meets Had all these photos but got lost in a flood in Moms basement years ago. Would be cool th see them again The cars are long gone now

9. I've seen the orange 55 Chevy and believe it's garaged just off of Hwy 164 by Waukesha Co.

10. cs39ford

cs39ford

Now thats cool He got rid of the 55 in about 68 and went to the willys Another car that was in my town was a 57 green chevy called Fibergasser Had a chance to buy it as a roller but as a high school kid did not have 300 bucks Another buddy got it and drove it on the street for a short time Thks Wing

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  11. earthgirl1964

earthgirl1964

I'm looking for pics of my dad, Kraig Krause when he raced at the Grove. He was just a weekend racer. But I spent a lot of time with him at the Grove in the late 70's early 80's. He used to race a Ford Fairlane or a '67 Mustang or the station wagon he drove up in just to race. Most of the time he'd call his race cars "The Homewrecker". He died in 1997, in Indiana. I was told that Wally Bell had contacted his widow at my dads funeral which would have made hime very happy. Thanks Wally! My dad would have a beer with Broadway Bob now and again.

wingnutz and loudbang like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. Any news?

14. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Still looking to verify the history on LeRoy Roeder's old 1964 Plymouth Savoy. The last known location was at
    6876 South 13th Street
    Oak Creek, WI 53154

LeRoy campaigned the car in the late 1960's at Great Lakes Dragway and other regional tracks. Last known as "Earthquake". Inbox me. You will be helping preserve history!

15. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Still looking for LeRoy's old car.

16. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

When I was stationed at USNH 13 at the Great Lakes we went to Union Grove to the drags on weekends. This was late 1960-1962. The sounds of SBC's is still strong in my memory. Those were great days.

17. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Like Nito Brother and I stated, the car was not sold from Al to Leroy. It was sold to the three gentleman in the clipping below. I've chatted multiple times with 2 of the 3 and they all confirmed the car was sold from them to Leroy.

There's too much history on this car that's being spread as false information. We should be working together to correctly document the history of this car.

The truth on the car is it was sold to these three guys who raced it for about a year-and-a-half before it was sold to Leroy. Cars don't stay with owners forever, and misinformation along the way can really screw up a cars history. I really hope racer-x can step forward with information on the current owner of "Earth Quake" so I can help clarify the CORRECT history on the car. I know based on his posts he wants the correct information documented ont he street racing scene, so why not an old AWB car?

Mods, please don't delete this. The correct information needs to remain public so this car doesn't get resold with incorrect information.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  18. Xman

Xman

I grew up in UG, 1333 Center street. When I left for the service in 64 I left behind a cherry 40 Ford coupe body. It was stored in a farmers barn on county line rd not to far from GLD. If any of you find it, remember, it's still mine!

19. Curt St Martin

Curt St Martin

I owned the car for some time back in the 1980's found it up north sitting on a farm and hauled it back to Milwaukee. It had no motor or transmission but everything else was pretty much there there. It was painted green and had the plastic bumpers and green tinted plexiglass windows. I don't remember how long I had it but I have just a couple of crappy pictures. Back then all my money was tied up in cars not in cameras. I had to many other projects other Mopars that I was trying to finish. I sold it to a guy who I worked at and he put it in a barn in Palmyra, WI.

I also was looking into the history of this car as I saw it race when I was 14 or so at GLD. A few people vaguely remember it but nothing else. Is Leroy still alive??? Would like to get some pictures of it when it was racing.

20. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Curt, I sent you a PM.

21. Curt St Martin

Curt St Martin

I guess I was off in the year it was back in 1974.

Attached Files:

22. Now that is freakin' awesome. I'm sending this to Al's son. Got any more?

23. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

With the the help of Curt and some nose-to-the-grind research we've filled in some more history on the car.
    Attention Eastern Wisconsin car enthusiasts. The car is still stored locally in that area. Please PM me the current owners contact info so I can inform them of the full history of their car.

24. HM Falcon

HM Falcon
    from Nebraska

Checking to see if anyone remembers, or has any photos of a black 1965 Falcon that ran at Great Lakes from 1968 through around 1971, I believe it went by the name Rinky Dink, and was driven by Skip Weld.

25. While looking for some things i ran across this decal. Does anyone have any idea what year its from 20160131_140046.jpg

wicarnut likes this.
  26. Its only been a few years since i said i have picks of chris desalvos crash. I misplaced them. Found them today. The first photo shows chris unhurt. In the back round on the return road is my 65 awb. along with my silver dually I had just made a pass. Chris crashed right in front of me. Too bad he didnt have a diaper on the car. I may be standing with chris mostly blocked. I do remember running over to check on him when it happened. 20160131_142758.jpg 20160131_140127.jpg 20160131_140135.jpg 20160131_140142.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  27. Ouch! Those pictures hurt.

loudbang likes this.
  28. chris said they cut the car off at the fire wall for the restoration. the car had a aluminum front end on it. those were worth over 15 grand at that time.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I believe Tom Terp, Dick Van DeHey and John Ohde were from the Manitowoc area?

John Ohde also bought a new 64 wedge that was later changed to 426 Hemi that was called
    Blue Blood ( large silver metallic in Blue paint )

Anyone have any pictures of that car?

Norb

loudbang likes this.
  30. Jeff Klawitter

Jeff Klawitter