Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods early hemi 4 speed transmission help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi rodder, Jul 4, 2015.

1. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg I have a chance to buy this transmission, I was told it is for a early hemi, any info would be great, if it is, are they good and what did they come off from, thanks image4.jpeg

2. deucemac

deucemac

For what is worth, the adapter from Wilcap to bolt up a Ford bellhousing and top loader 4speed. Not the cheapest of cheap, but a great trouble free conversion. And if you can find a Jeep 4 speed top shifter, it will look almost original wheh seen with a finished carpet. I just can't see using the old Chrysler trans with the drum ebrake on the back.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a 3-speed '50's Chrysler product (probably out of a Plymouth or Dodge). It's a "selector" transmission (which used one lever to select first-reverse shifts or second-third shifts). The other lever actually changed the transmission between the selected pair of gears. I had one in a "T"-bucket I built in the mid-'60's behind a 270" Dodge hemi. It worked really well for me. I added a solenoid that would pull the selector lever (which was spring-loaded" to select second-third), to pull it into the first-reverse position when I pressed a button I mounted next to the shift knob. When going from first to second, the spring-loading would push it to the proper position. I never had any problems with it, but that was in a 1835 pound car with 150 horsepower.

sunbeam and Hnstray like this.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with Tubman about this trans...it's 3 speed Mopar box. They date from at least the early '40s and were used through about '56. In the pics, the bellhousing looks like the longer housing used on '52/'54 Desoto and '53/54 Dodge. The most distinguishing feature of the long housing trans is the very long input shaft and throw out bearing and support. The front of the housing shape and the eight bolt flywheel indicates it was for a V8 model. This stuff will fit later models of those engines (until about '61) but I wouldn't consider it especially desirable. I agree with Deucemac that there are better choices for a manual trans setup.

Interestingly, I had a floor shifter setup like Tubman describes, with the solenoid, in my '53 Plymouth Convertible around 1961. A year or so later I devised a fully mechanical version. Both worked well enough.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    270dodge likes this.
  5. have to check out that bell housing....like most have said - 56 back and could have behind a 354-331 or Desota or little Dodge red ram....send us a part # if you find it....

6. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

I was told it was a 4 speed, I didn't think that there was a 4 speed back then in the early 50's. I only received these pictures, I have a 1955 291 Desoto that I could have use it on.

7. chrisp

chrisp

The manual 4 speed behind the hemi was found in the Chrysler 300 and Facel Vega HK 500 and was build by Pont A Mousson: extremly rare and pricey (I knew of one and the guy wanted 10G's for it). It's boxy looking with the shifter hanging in the back and late 50's.

270dodge likes this.
  8. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Three speed only.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Unless you have a Mopar 3 speed column shift car finding a shifter will be a pain.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I agree with you about the scarcity (or even non-existance) of shifters for these transmissions, getting around that problem is pretty easy with a little imagination (see my earlier post).

Hnstray likes this.
  11. chrisp

chrisp

If you're answering to my post, know that in 59 the 300F was available with a 4 speed stick shift by Pont a Mousson

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Your fix is cool I remember putting a early Dodge hemi in a 53 Ford PU in the late 60s I paid big bucks for a shody made Spark O matic shifter then.

13. If your thinking of using in something like your avitar and driving it a lot, I'd walk away at any price and go later generation 4 speed. My Red Ram motor has a Chrysler 833 behind it. Easly done, almost all Mopar off the shelf parts and most of all reliable.
    The Wizzard

73RR likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think it is accurate to say all posts in this thread are in reference to the OP's post showing a 3 speed trans that he was told was a 4 speed.

The Pont A Mousson was/is so rare to be virtually non-existent in the hot rod world. It is one of those 'factoids' that may be cool to know, but mostly irrelevant.

Ray

73RR and stillrunners like this.
  15. #1611548 should be for the 55/56 Chrysler-Desota found in those's years.....and both 1851379/1853901 shows will work behind all Chy-Desota-Dodge and Plymonth used on 318 motors 57 to 60....Hollander shows these to work behind the 392...not pretty or bullet proof - but what was used back in the day....

16. George

George

It's a pre '62 tranny, the tranny will bolt up to your Desoto if it came off a Hemi or Poly, beyond that you're probably better off getting an adaptor & a modern tranny.

17. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

7 Chrysler 300Fs in 1960 were equipped with the French Pont a Mousson behing Ram inducted 413s

18. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

I have a few spare hemi's. was offered this trans at good price, I usually use newer trans with adapter on my hemi's, was wondering if that trans was good but will pass on it. thanks

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's not so much that it's a "bad" trans...just not what you were told it is. It is a lighter duty manual that could be useful, especially if complete with TO bearing, TO fork, etc. and one were wanting to replace a Gyromatic or Fluid drive with a stick on an early Desoto or Dodge V8 for normal street driving.

Ray

73RR likes this.
  20. Trucks had 4 speeds they were actually a 3 speed with double grandma. A Ford top loader is pricey but if I wanted a manual I would consider that route.

Anyway I am thinking that what you are looking at is a Plymouth/Dodge transmission a 3 speed.