Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hoffman group nasties ,keep it clean wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I know bagging Hoffman group again. I should have done more research before I purchased my "keep it clean" pro15 circuit wiring kit. My bad I did not realise keep it clean was a Hoffman group. Got the jitters when I saw that. I just thought cool a complete rewire on our shoebox coupe with 15 more fuses than the old original wiring( none)
    Instructions looked ok but are instructions not meant to be identical to the product?
    Wire labelling did not match the colour in the instructions , red must mean green. 3 identical pink wires and it says pink , violet and lt pink. Says white with black trace ,must mean blue, there were no wires with a trace colour. The labelling is missing on some and others waaaay to far apart. Not fair on my ageing eyes. No cable ties. What else is missing. I know for sure there will be many more mistakes, but at this point I threw in the towel .
    No I am not colour blind , I can match paint fairly well.
    It's going back in the box it came from , I got my wife to double check I was not going mad AGAIN, she said this looks way to scary to event try to use.
    Sorry for another Hoffman rant , but stay away ,for your safety, this product can't break like the steering column drops and the tilt column joints, but could cause a fire.
    Am shopping for a more reliable kit on the Alliance right now.
    Just checking and see "keep it clean " as an alliance , but thank goodness it says 404 file not found ,good on ya for dropping them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Rckt98

Rckt98

Did you purchase that in NZ and if so from who?

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, but from trade site private seller who I already knew, who had it as surplus . So unfortunately can not pin a dealer down. Though there are some that promote the Hoffman group products.

5. With so many product names its hard to dodge that groups crap. I have one of their shifters........yippieeee !! JW

6. Buy a Rebel wiring kit and Be done with it. Lesson learned.

7. scott51

scott51

damn, stings so much more when you've sunk time into it and can't send it back.

Hope it's cool to post here - I've got a 21 circuit EZ wiring kit I bought in the states ages ago for a project that never eventuated. Message me if you're keen, will let it go for a good price.

8. Sad that this outfit continues to exist.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  9. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

What he said, bought and installed one this winter, will be going back to these guys on future builds.

10. oj

oj

I troubleshooted one of their systems, a very big problem with them is the little tang on the female disconnect that gets inserted into the backs of connectors and fuse panels isn't formed right and insubstantial. You can plug something in - like the steering column harness, the headlight connector, the flasher module - and it'll push the disconnect back in the connector. When you first make the 'connection' it'll work because the metal parts are touching but since the male and female wire ends aren't mated (inside each other) over a period of time continuity will be lost and shit will quit working. You have to go to each of thier connections and physically push them in from the back side - while laying on your back, head up under the dash trying to focus on a connector 6" from your nose.
    I doubt any of it will be working in 10years and the system should last the lifetime of the car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Since you know the seller and buy from him, can you still return it for a refund/credit? If he deals in car parts, he should know all the Hoffman parts and not carry them. Could be said that he should be "stuck with it" as he should have checked condition (labeling, wire coloring compared to schematic) of the harness before he listed it (or even bought it himself).

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The saying is older and wiser.... But I just had a look in the cupboard and found other wiring kit instructions I have used in previous builds, two Rebel wire and two EZ wire. Lesson learned. Stick to the names you can trust.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a good deal on an EZ wire kit. The keep it clean has been relegated in the back corner designated "bad car parts"