Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Chev dash in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotrodBoy, Jun 21, 2015.

1. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

I'm in the process of fitting a 34 Chev dash into my 30A Tudor. I would like to see pics of anyone else who has done this conversion and any comments on mine so far. I'm undecided on the rolled/tube bottom edge, should I continue or is it wrong?

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

34 Standard, what is that gauge insert as it doesn't look Chevy and doesn't look like my 35 Master insert?

3. brady1929

brady1929

I like it. I would change the steering wheel to the other side though. Ha ha.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. dash is actually a 33 chev dash, 34 gauges are in front of the steering wheel and glovebox in front of passenger . Looks great though .

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

'34 std has a center gauge panel, master has the glove box and they are interchangeable. Proceed, it looks great.

6. Canuck

Canuck

Installed a 34 Master dash in my 30 coupe.

Kept the flat steel re-enforcement along the bottom, can't use a tubular support as the floor of the glove compartment and the door also share that space. Not shown is a custom made steel glove compartment and an aluminum dash insert to mount SW gauges. Also not shown is a custom made under dash mount for the tach. The ignition key still mounts at the bottom center. The 3 control holes at the top center will be used for turn/hi beam indicators, early Lucas jewels. The fun part was replicating the 3 die-cast chrome trim strips in the center, used 1/2 round tapered and polished stainless. Also not visible here is the top of the dash is extended with a rolled front edge to duplicate the original a dash rail to nearly meet the windshield. Louvers were also stamped in this area to accommodate defrost outlets that are a licencing requirement here, you can just see the six bumps of the louvers along the top of the dash. The steering column alignment dictated a custom column drop as well.

Canuck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    kiwijeff likes this.
  7. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

The dash panel was the same as the one in Canuck's picture, I chopped out the area in the middle and found a SW style gauge insert at a swapmeet.I have trimmed the top edge off the Model A dash panel an will fit this to to the Chev dash so it extends to the windscreen like the Model A does. Thanks for the comments and pics so far.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Dash looks great but don't like the bottom edge...

9. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Updated, did a bit of thinking and used the top corners I had trimmed off to fit the Model A. Fitted them to the lower corners of the dash and blended the tubing into the flat sides of the dash. I'm thinking it looks way better. I am going to "blend" the U shape piece of tubing hanging over the top of the steering column into the dash panel to make a nice transition between column and dash. Also plan on adding a small dipped piece off the bottom of the dash to hide the steering column drop mount. Another idea I have is to section up a second gauge panel I have the same as in the picture and make it into a small panel for the switches and ignition, indicator and hi-beam lights as per the cardboard pattern.

Attached Files:

10. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Hey Hot Rod Boy, theres a T Bucket in Chch with a 34 Chev dash in it. Owner is shifting to Whangarei in about three weeks and taking his car, but if you are quick Im sure I can link you up so you can rock up to his place to see it.

Just let me know if you are interested.

Todd
    027 643 4992