Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 ford cabriolets versus 32 ford roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheadjohn47, Jul 4, 2015.

1. I was fortunate at the age of 67 to obtain a pretty nice 32 Ford cabriolet "hot rod" basket case.Living only 100 miles from the Lone Star Roundup in Austin,I have attended 10 of the 14 held.This past year,I was able to attend only Saturday at the roundup.Knowing there are real Henry roadsters,Brookville roadsters, and countless glass roadsters,I did a quick walk thru of the Roundup Sat afternoon.Granted, I did NOT see every car there,but I probably saw 30-40-50 roadsters,but not 1 single cabriolet.According to the "figures" there was approximately 8800 roadsters(standard and deluxe) and approximately 6600 cabriolets.If cabriolets are being reproduced,I am unaware of any manufacturers.I had a 32 five window for 10 years at the age of 32 with a S.C.oT. Blown 276 inch flatmotor.I told my wife of 32 years,this was a "keeper" and my last hot rod.My question is how many cabriolets are left? image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

The answer to your question is - - not many!
    In the 45 years I have had mine I have seen only 4 or 5 others all but one were hot rods. I missed yours at LSR and you missed mine but both were just one car among thousands.
    I will make a point of looking for you next year

stillrunners likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is the 1932 Cabriolet and Sport Coupe body interchangeable, are the doors the same? First Hot Rod I ever saw was a '32 Cabriolet back around 1961. You know when you see one they are real. Bob

stillrunners likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

Just the deck lid. Nothing else on the main body is the same. Doors are about two inches wider. Top of door not same, and the belt detail is different. Lower panel under lid is shorter. Cowl sides are different , No reveal beads on either side of deck lid, just like the 32 3w

The37Kid likes this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I find those low numbers hard to believe I have had 3 cabriolet body's and know of at least 10 others , just kickin around , I have seen maybe 2 real roadster body's for sale and supposedly there are lots more of those made?

7. Survival rates of anything are often linked to the wantability of them. Historically, the wantability of the cabriolets has been low in he hot rodding world. Combine that with lowish production numbers and, well, that's my 2 cents. ;)

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know the Model A Cabriolets were wood framed, did the '32's have wood or all steel framework? Bob

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

All steel ... Pretty similar to a 5 window with the roof cut off

10. clem

clem

So according to deuce daddy don's fiqures, approximately 12,000 roadsters versus 6000 cabriolets.
    Also some of those roadsters ( on the road today) are cut down 5 windows.....hurts to even mention that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. clem

clem

Except the 5 window has quite a bit of wood framing

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

.... But it's all in the roof, except for a twig in the b pillar for a tack strip

13. bought my Cabriolet when I couldn't find a roadster.... IMAG0060.JPG

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

4th%20of%20July%20and%20after%20100_zpsytill99t.jpg This looked a lot better in my memory, it was featured in How to Hop Up Your Engine magazine January 1962. Bob

15. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I always liked the idea of a cabriolet, it's an open top 32 without being a roadster. ...of course about five years after buying this one I realized I needed a roadster too.

[​IMG]

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

John, that's a real nice Deuce Cabriolet, looks like the body is mint. They made about three thousand less Cabriolets than Roadsters in '32. I looked thru the V-8 Club roster and can't find any numbers of how many are left. You have to remember that everybody wanted a roadster when they became available to hot rodders, only a few wanted Cabriolets, so many were crushed. Because of the fact that Deuce roadster bodies have been reproduced since the '60s it makes sense that you will see more roadsters. I attend V-8 Club of America meets and only have seen a handful of cabriolets, in my opinion they are a lot rarer than roadsters. As you probably know the cabriolet is not an easy car to restore as the top can be a real pain to get right. The Dearborn Deuce looks like a roadster but has the advantage of a cabriolet with roll up windows so you can have a "roadster" with AC. Keep us posted with the progress of your nice car. I'll keep trying to get the number you are looking for from the V-8 Club.

17. alchemy

alchemy

I'd trade my pile o' roadster for a pile o' cabriolet.

18. Huh? Those are (supposedly) the quantities that Ford produced of each model, and Ford didn't cut down 5-windows into roadsters (or cabriolets). Any "coupesters" you see were done after they were sold.

19. A old pal of mine had a 1932 Cabriolet,they are really good looking cars,the only real problem I could see if your a big guy with the top down it takes up interior space limiting the ability to move the seat back.

Gibbon Fiberglass still makes the 32 Cabriolet. HRP

http://www.gibbonfiberglass.net/32_Cabriolet.php

20. Well I don't know how many 32 Cabrios are left but I do know you seldom see one. I probably would prefer one to a roadster but as my Mexican daughter says, "Soy un bicho raro." :D

I don't know the name of the company or if they still exist but there was a company making a glass '33 cabrio in the '90s.

21. clem

clem

yep, I know that, so just to clarify - Some of the roadsters you see today are possibly cut down 5 windows. Sorry for the bad English.....

22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bring a old post back from the dead and any interest in hard to impossible 1932 ford cabriolet window frames , garnish molding top irons or top parts. Working on a extra 32 cabriolet and before I put this hotrod together I was wondering if anyone is working on one or have parts ... 55A8B05C-7950-4672-AA24-CBDF27DCC409.png

GuyW, A Boner, 35cab and 5 others like this.
  23. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

My Dads Cabriolet. He loves it and rarely does he or we see others . Seem to be few and far between here and around Omaha, NE

Attached Files:

clem, deuceman32, 35cab and 3 others like this.
  24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@tdog thank you for sharing your pictures with us and bitchen hot rod and awesome rare cabriolet body style.
    It’s funny that we dont see more cabriolet of any year 1932 1933 1934 1935 1036 or the rarest 1937 fords. It may not be the dragstrip fav or saltflat fav but always have had the eye of the restorers.

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Having the windshield frame tilted back like that really helps the look. If I had one that is all I would do to it. Roll up windows and a soft top makes more sense up here.

clem, deuceman32 and continentaljohn like this.
  26. Really sharp. Your dad has a good eye.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

clem and continentaljohn like this.
  27. agshelby

agshelby

I’ve had a roadster and now have a cabriolet . I’d like another roadster, but really like the cabriolet, too. It would have to be an addition at this point, not a replacement.

My winter project is a Columbia - wrapping up for a long cruise through the Texas hill country next weekend.

IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_7121.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    Perfect!

29. Blake 27

Blake 27

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine had a chopped and channeled 32 Cabriolet in Waco in the 70's The car would be very distinguishable because the floor boards had boxes made into them to set the seats down in to have full cushion seats but only sit a couple of inches off the floor.

stillrunners and continentaljohn like this.