Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Talk to me about cheap primers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ev88f, Jul 1, 2015.

1. ev88f

ev88f

Upcoming project needs some high build primer in a to fill some sand scratches etc... This is going to be a "sweep the floor" type of paint project so I'm mostly using leftovers, the only thing I'm short on is primer. Has anyone had any success with the high build primer from Summit, Speedokote on ebay, U-Pol and the like? If somebody has a low buck (<$100) favorite let me know.

Thanks!

2. The Summit primer could be a crap shoot. They buy paint products with their label attached. Back in the '90s the paint product that they sold was good and they usually try to buy a good product to hang their name on but best to talk to a tech and ask who makes what you are buying before you shell out your hard earned cash.

3. ev88f

ev88f

From what I've been seeing around the internet people are saying that it's likely rebranded kirker paint, but who knows...

4. ev88f likes this.

5. At least with me they have always been pretty good about answering when I ask about a product with their name hung on it.

6. ev88f

ev88f

All I could get out of them when I called was that their paint was manufactured by a leading producer.

7. U pol is fairly good stuff.

8. ev88f

ev88f

Looking it up, it seems to have really decent reviews

9. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

As mentioned above, MarHyde Ultimate II Primer is a good value for you Dollar.

VR&C.

10. ev88f

ev88f

I'll look into this one a little more. Looking at the link on amazon, it looks like whoever is shipping it out is sending out old stock. I'll see if any of my local suppliers can get a hold of it as well

11. The Mar Hide looks pretty good. Good idea to try a local supply as you can talk to them 1 on 1. Even Sherwin Williams carries a vast line of paint for cars. I just shot the floor pan of my Ford with Duplicolor white I got at Auto Zone @ about $25 a quart and it laid down great.

12. I'm wondering how you reached that conclusion of "old stock" ?

I don't get it from amazon, I get mine from a local mobile guy. I really like it and haven't had any trouble or issue. It sprays out nice, (1.8 or 2.x tip) sands great ( I use Mirka papers) , cures up quick, doesn't shrink after its full cure, builds nice ( its not a "super highbuild" product) and won't break the wallet. 90.00 for 1.25 spray able gallons.

It's a high solids product so one of these will save you a bunch of time getting it ready to shoot.
    image.jpg

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've been using a lot of finish 1 product. Its sold at napa, its an offshoot of Sherwin Williams / Martin Senior and hasnt let me down
    They have etch, filler, high build, poly type and about anything else youd need.

14. ev88f

ev88f

Last couple reviews on amazon said whoever was filling out the orders was sending out old stock and dented cans. I'd buy local if I can for that reason. At least you can see what you're picking up beforehand.
    Certainly sounds like it's good stuff

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

How much High Build do you think you really need? If you've just got some localized areas to hit, I know you can get SEM high build primer in a rattle can pretty easy from Summit or Eastwood (under $20/can).

The SEM brand high build for a sprayer is branded "Metalock DTM High Build Primer" and you should be able to get a quart shipped for less than $50.

16. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

The 5-star primers are pretty good,have used a lot of their epoxy DTM,will fill 40 grit scratches,have tried some Car-Besa primer,it is cheaper and sands very nice,doesnt seem to shrink either.Primer is a lot like oil,a lot of opinions,but in the end it is all the same.

17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

For mixing high build primers, I use a regular mixing lid on a gallon can.

[​IMG]

18. I've been using PPG Shopline products and am happy with them. But as Pat said, if you're doing little spots, the SEM in the rattlecans is pretty good.

19. ev88f

ev88f

52 Front, small.jpg 52 side, small.jpg
    Here's what I'm going to be repainting. The paint that is on there is a good base (I shot it a couple of years ago), just needs to be a little straighter. On the rear where I moved the rear window up and where I shaved the handles, I had some more shrinkage than I would like. Have some more work to do to the roof before I get it where I want. Ideally I think it could use a full coat over the whole thing, just to get it that much more straight.

20. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I would sand it down with 180 and shoot it with Slick Sand, block it good then shoot primer, MarHyde sands good. I like SPI products myself.

mikhett likes this.
  21. You might try Evercoats Superbuild. It is a polyester epoxy hybrid and has the most build of any poly on the market. Might be slightly more that $100 for a kit but you do get 5 sprayable litres and it's not a urethane like the Marhyde so you don't have to worry about isocyanates when you are spraying it.

22. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I've used the SuperBuild, it is THICK. Shot it with a 2.5 tip.

23. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

That's a great looking 4-door and the chopped top looks really good.

ev88f likes this.
  24. ev88f

ev88f

Thanks! I've got a ton of time into it. It's about 3.5 out of the front and 4 out of the rear with the catwalk extended around 3 inches. I never chopped anything before this one

25. ev88f

ev88f

Thanks for the info so far guys! It sounds like I really can't go wrong with any of the options mentioned so far. From what I'm seeimg, they all do what I'm looking for.

26. indyjps

indyjps

Suggest against the rattle can or using different primers when blocking, the 2 paints will sand differently, 1 will cut faster than the other and you'll dig lows.

Great thread, I'll have to check into some of these.

ev88f likes this.
  27. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Damn Dude, for a first chop you did good! I can't tell you anything about primer unfortunately...

ev88f likes this.
  28. ev88f

ev88f

Thanks! This is the perfect example of how projects spiral out of control haha.
    This started as a rusty, flat black car with a 216 that I was just going to rattlecan and drive as is... Then I thought well I might as well change some trim, french the lights, nose and deck it...oh and lets mold the hood. Then the starter on the 216 went so I built a 283 for it changed the trans and rear end. I had finished the body work and was just going to paint it with the valspar tractor paint when I figured I'd try chopping it and putting real paint on the thing...

Once I get the roof 100% I'll have to start a thread about it on here.

Maybe it'll be "done" one day!

mikhett likes this.